Jimmy Buffet Passes - 9/1/2023

There are comments that Jimmy wasn’t a good musician. What is a good musician? How about when your newly released song spends 22 weeks in the top 100 and is and inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

C5011AF3-FB68-4925-9CC0-EC92DCF72690.jpeg

Last edited:

"Jimmy passed away peacefully on the night of September 1st surrounded by his family, friends, music and dogs,” a statement said late Friday on the musician’s official website and social media feeds."

"The consistently touring singer-songwriter, whose other hits include “Come Monday” and “Cheeseburger in Paradise,” had been hospitalized earlier this year for an unspecified illness. In the process, the island escapism performer cancelled or postponed a number of concerts — a rare feat for Buffet."

That sounds like he was sick and knew it was coming, and whatever it was, it came fast.

RIP
lt's a shame man, everyone is passing away! Jerry Lee Lewis, all/most the remaining members form Skynyrd, just to name a few. :(

RIP, I was not a fan but have had many friends who were Parrot Heads, so I know there is substance behind the legend. I was not aware he was a billionaire--how amazing to make so many people happy, and to earn a great living to boot. He will be missed. And too young. Way too young.

1693761213813.jpg

Listened to " Changes In Latitudes , Changes In Attitudes " on CD player of the FIT and Jimmy Buffet's - Greatest Hits : " Songs You Know By Heart " at home . Humorous , picturesque and soothing songs .

IMG_1726.JPG
IMG_1727.JPG
IMG_1737.JPG
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1730.JPG

Saw that that he died from the same rare skin cancer that my mother in law was treated for. Don't ignore any weird skin lesions.

Sorry to hear about Jimmy Buffett's passing.

JB was a master marketer. Give me your money so I can live a lifestyle you dream of. I have heard many of his concerts on SIRIUS radio and have seen a handful of his interviews. He laughed at his fanbase, maybe have even had contempt his fans. JB would have been wildly successful in any endeavor that involved psychology and sales.

JB might have been the greatest marketing mind in modern day music. Musicians like Kenny Cheensey are a handful of others have all been waiting for today and take over Jimmy's schitok and ring the register.
I agree. His music did nothing for me. It was contrived, simplistic and unoriginal. But he was a shrewd entrepreneur and his entire scheme of the laid back, shorts, flip-flops a T-shirt and sunglasses and booze, hawking a beach or island lifestyle to millions that could never actually live it or afford it but were willing to pay him to pretend they were living it, if only for an hour or two...well it made him a billionaire.

Wearing a Tommy Bahama shirt and Maui Jim sunglasses doesn't make you a world class charging surfer...neither does drinking booze and listening to Jimmy Buffett music. Neither will get you beachfront property either.

There are comments that Jimmy wasn’t a good musician. What is a good musician? How about when your newly released song spends 22 weeks in the top 100 and is and inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

View attachment 176585
OK, I'll bite. Complexity is interesting. It's like asking, what's wrong with a photograph where every single one has the subject perfectly centered, and perfectly in focus. This is often the least interesting photograph, from a photography standpoint. That's all. But I can see he was certainly a master at what he did. One cannot have followers without talent of some kind. Showmanship. Presence. We throw the term "billionaire" around today like we did once with millionaire. Being a billionaire is no joke. He will be missed.

How many reading this thread is a millionaire? Likely many. But not billionaires is my guess.

Yeah, or Frank Zappa or The Doors.
What's interesting is it would seem Lawrence Welk and Roy Clark are made fun of based on TV shows and maybe even their audiences, yet they were masterful musicians. Heck even Jerry Reed was excellent. I personally was a full grown adult before I was aware how good Glen Campbell was on guitar.

The Banana Wind CD playing on the car stereo brings me back to my teen years being on the road headed to the beach. Every now and again I’ll play it (now on my iPhone) and escape to a different time when life was way less complicated than it is now.

I never called myself a “Parrothead” but its hard to find a bigger Jimmy Buffett fan than me. I literally know most every word to every song. They are all great but my all time fave is “Who’s the blonde stranger?”. It amazes me so few people recognize it. I too battle with skin cancer. I have had multiple surgeries, but I am well and everything is taken care of for the moment. I have to be extremely vigilant, and I would encourage anyone to see the Dermatologist at least once a year. On a happier note, if you get an opportunity, check out Jimmy’s Margaritaville locations on lake Conroe TX and Crystal Beach TX. They both have live concerts and a lot of fun things to do. The pool is outstanding. Jimmy was quite the businessman, he was literally a billionaire. RIP Jimmy. You entertained millions.

Back