Jimmy Buffet Passes - 9/1/2023

"Jimmy passed away peacefully on the night of September 1st surrounded by his family, friends, music and dogs,” a statement said late Friday on the musician’s official website and social media feeds."

"The consistently touring singer-songwriter, whose other hits include “Come Monday” and “Cheeseburger in Paradise,” had been hospitalized earlier this year for an unspecified illness. In the process, the island escapism performer cancelled or postponed a number of concerts — a rare feat for Buffet."

That sounds like he was sick and knew it was coming, and whatever it was, it came fast.

RIP

I was never a fan of his music. His real talent was being a very successful business man. My wife's parents retired and bought one of his Margaritaville homes which I briefly mentioned here.

hereI was never a fan of his music. His real talent was being a very successful business man. My wife's parents retired and bought one of his Margaritaville homes which I briefly mentioned

I liked a handful of his songs, but always thought his image was interesting. T-shirts, sandals, beaches, and laid back in the sun. Mostly how I prefer to spend my 'not at work' time.

Oh no. I saw him in Vegas about 10 years ago. He was really appreciative on stage that he was able to make a living with his music. He and his helpers did a great job in marketing the Margaritaville name.

He actually started out as a country and western musician but hit his stride with that unique adaptation of Caribbean music. One needs to spend some time on a beach lounger with some tequila and lime to appreciate what he meant. “Wasting away again in Margaritaville...” Farewell Jimmy. Thanks for the tunes.

Last edited:
RIP. I always have his music mixed in with my summer Spotify playlists. Boat Drinks is a song that kind of served as the theme for our summer beach vacation this year…

Sorry to hear about Jimmy Buffett's passing.

JB was a master marketer. Give me your money so I can live a lifestyle you dream of. I have heard many of his concerts on SIRIUS radio and have seen a handful of his interviews. He laughed at his fanbase, maybe have even had contempt his fans. JB would have been wildly successful in any endeavor that involved psychology and sales.

JB might have been the greatest marketing mind in modern day music. Musicians like Kenny Cheensey are a handful of others have all been waiting for today and take over Jimmy's schitok and ring the register.

He was a good musician and a better businessman. Marketing all things Margaritaville. His gift was he could connect with his audience and his music took you to some other "happy place". I thought "White Sport coat and a Pink Crustacean" was his best song writings.

Sad day. Been a Parrothead since the beginning. His music and style would always put me in a good mood, no matter how crappy my day was. Someone would always play some JB at "choir practice" and until you see a bunch of cops trying to sing Magaritaville, you wouldn't understand the effect it has on folks. Glad his music will stay around. Godspeed Jimmy.

He was a good musician and a better businessman. Marketing all things Margaritaville. His gift was he could connect with his audience and his music took you to some other "happy place". I thought "White Sport coat and a Pink Crustacean" was his best song writings.
JB had some good songs. Havana Daydreaming was one of them.

Not sure he was a good musician. He was really, really good at hiring the right musicians for his band. He was a outstanding marketer and businessman. If he was born 50 years earlier, could easily have been a very wildly successful marketer of any consumer home products, door-to-door salesman, or carnival barker. I think if any of us sat next to him on a five hour flight and had to talk to him, we would be glad the flight was over, and hope to never be seated next to him again........ not a pleasant guy from all indications, but indeed a wildly successful marketer and very savvy businessman. Funny how the image was very, very distant from reality.

Sorry to hear about Jimmy Buffett's passing.

JB was a master marketer. Give me your money so I can live a lifestyle you dream of. I have heard many of his concerts on SIRIUS radio and have seen a handful of his interviews. He laughed at his fanbase, maybe have even had contempt his fans. JB would have been wildly successful in any endeavor that involved psychology and sales.

JB might have been the greatest marketing mind in modern day music. Musicians like Kenny Cheensey are a handful of others have all been waiting for today and take over Jimmy's schitok and ring the register.

Not sure his lifestyle is what everyone would dream of, he was a workaholic CEO-type that made the most of his middling talent and trademarked it. A couple songs I like and never had a bad meal at his restaurant chain, though only ate there maybe three times at most....

I will eat a cheeseburger today though, maybe with a margarita...

Reactions: GON
I've been a fan of Buffett for over 40 years and seen him in concert probably a dozen times. I had a chance to see him in a show he did with Mac MacNally in Portsmouth RI in July where Jimmy made a surprise appearance. Now I'm really regretting I didn't go!

I first saw him in either 1973 or 1974, before he hit it big, in Myrtle Beach. Check out the lineup at this barn for the summer.
Music.jpg

Not sure he was a good musician. He was really, really good at hiring the right musicians for his band.

His own words confirm this. He knew he wasn't a good musician. He talked about it in his books. He started playing guitar to appeal to ladies.

He's a good storyteller. That's why his songs, simple as they may be, are so likable. That's why his books, both fiction and non-fiction, have sold so well. They tell stories and those stories are relatable. They're so relatable that people want to escape to and live in those stories. Some people can only afford a restaurant visit or a beer. Other people can afford to literally live in Margaritaville. A Jimmy Buffet concert was a Parrothead's escape to a story.

not a pleasant guy from all indications

Going back to that "hiring the right musicians" line, most of the Coral Reefers line-up had been with Jimmy for decades. Musicians, especially good musicians, are incredibly fickle. They don't stick around in a project that's abrasive or lopsided. Mac McAnally
is an 8x CMA Musician of the Year winner. Would he stick around and tour relentlessly with a guy who's a total a-hole?

I don't think he'd be any more unpleasant than Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, or any other successful band leader that's been touring with the same core group of musicians since the 1970s. I mean, he's not Axle Rose.

It is horrible to hear this, I'm very sad today. JB's flight department was directly next door to ours at Jet Aviation PBI. We flew for each other and were all friends. I knew he was not well, and had hopes he'd recover. JB was an amazing guy, and quite simply, could do it all. Very intelligent, funny, exceptionally warm and friendly, for years he would show up on the Jet Aviation ramp with some crazy vehicle that, well, somehow fit his personality.

He always had some form of seaplane, and would take them everywhere. In recent years, he had a Cessna Caravan on floats. I think that was the only caravan in the world to have flown home with a broken wing spar.... (not JB's fault). But it's a crazy story, and the aircraft cleaners noticed that the wing was bent!

What a character JB was. There was a large fundraiser in Palm Beach for a successful presidential candidate in 2007. JB and this candidate were upstairs partaking in some well, um.. the kind of things that JB might do. And the presidential canditate was too blitzed to come down and meet those who paid to see him. It made for a very odd situation. And generated some strong negative feelings among the Palm Beach elite and this candidate. I may or may not have been there.

jimmy-buffetts-cessna-caravan-floatplane-n208jb-in-flight-2G9WG72.jpg

ghows-LK-936232db-250b-6d01-e053-0100007fce86-1575e359.jpeg

1693658398568.jpeg

Back