Harris Teeter deli sale price discrepancy.

I don’t shop there too often, but just went in for a few things and notice a sign at the deli counter saying, Boars Head pastrami, save $7 a pound, sale price $9.99. So I said I’ll take 1/3 pound. The lady asked, beef or turkey. I thought pastrami was beef, so I said turkey just to give it a try. She hands me the package and I see it’s marked as $14.99 a pound, so I point out to her the sign saying $9.99 a pound. She says that’s for the beef pastrami. I tell her the sign doesn’t say beef or turkey, just pastrami. She says just the beef pastrami is on sale. Didn’t want to argue over a dollar so I just let it go, but what would you have done?

Try this next time, "Can I get 1/3lb. of the Boars Head pastrami that's on sale please". I've had too many incompetent people try to slice meat and cheese. I grew up in the food business and worked in a deli for 5 years and most customers need to have their heads examined, they don't even know what they're after most of the time. I've had the dumbest requests when it comes to measurements. I've told customers several times, we're slicing meat and cheese here, not dispensing pills. "You want 125g. of prosciutto? Get lost" Stop going to grocery stores @atikovi , find a real deli.

She's a shrewd salesperson, maybe even a shrew, and she pulled a casual switcheroo. Why not ask before ordering "How much?" to make sure you don't get a surprise? Advertised prices are often unreliable and mere bait.

Last edited:
At the deli department of a Food Lion near Raleigh, I asked for 10 ounces of their pimento cheese. "I can't do that." Why not? "Our scale is in pounds."
There is a lady at another supermarket that is always confused when I ask for 1/3 pound. Holds up 3 fingers and asks me tree pounds?

Stop going to grocery stores @atikovi , find a real deli.
I don't think stand alone deli's have been around for at least 30 years here. Who wants to make a separate trip for the same product at 50% higher prices.

Who buys turkey pastrami dude? That's gross.
What's gross about it? You eat pot roast for thanksgiving?

I don’t shop there too often, but just went in for a few things and notice a sign at the deli counter saying, Boars Head pastrami, save $7 a pound, sale price $9.99. So I said I’ll take 1/3 pound. The lady asked, beef or turkey. I thought pastrami was beef, so I said turkey just to give it a try. She hands me the package and I see it’s marked as $14.99 a pound, so I point out to her the sign saying $9.99 a pound. She says that’s for the beef pastrami. I tell her the sign doesn’t say beef or turkey, just pastrami. She says just the beef pastrami is on sale. Didn’t want to argue over a dollar so I just let it go, but what would you have done?

Put it in the cold meat cooler by the Deli and walk out.
I wouldn't reward that kind of dishonesty with my hard earned cash.

Try this next time, "Can I get 1/3lb. of the Boars Head pastrami that's on sale please". I've had too many incompetent people try to slice meat and cheese. I grew up in the food business and worked in a deli for 5 years and most customers need to have their heads examined, they don't even know what they're after most of the time. I've had the dumbest requests when it comes to measurements. I've told customers several times, we're slicing meat and cheese here, not dispensing pills. "You want 125g. of prosciutto? Get lost" Stop going to grocery stores @atikovi , find a real deli.
What a mean-spirited comment to make to a customer asking a very reasonable request. Tell us, what's wrong with asking for 125g. of sliced meat? That's a skosh more than ¼-lb. I've ordered that amount of sliced meat numerous times and received it with a smile and a thank you. You're in Canada. Doesn't Canada use the metric system?

Here is what I do at the deli. My deli has a slice thickness sticker and I say, give me 12 slices of Private Selection Wildflower Honey turkey breast at thickness 6.

Hillarious. Some act like they are handling nitroglycerin when they approach the scales. I have mercy and tell them "look, I dont care if u went a bit over or under. Dont worry about it." :rolleyes: Those likely served someone like those you said needs head examined! LOL Just saw article last week. A woman drove her SUV with her own kids in it thru McDonals almost killed workers and customers because they forgot her eggmuffin!

What a mean-spirited comment to make to a customer asking a very reasonable request. Tell us, what's wrong with asking for 125g. of sliced meat? That's a skosh more than ¼-lb. I've ordered that amount of sliced meat numerous times and received it with a smile and a thank you. You're in Canada. Doesn't Canada use the metric system?
I rest my case. When I buy from a deli in the USA, I'm always satisfied, I've been on the other side of the counter, so I know how to ask for what I want and how much I want (in lbs or fractions of), and also by it's appearance. Publix? Fuggedaboutit!

Back