Is it me or has Oscar Meyer lowered the bar?

I like Hot Dogs and have for decades bought Oscar Mayer Beef as my go to. I also will get Johnsonville sausages and Hebrew National or Nathan's and others to just check out. Here about six months ago I made a couple O-M for lunch and the dogs were mushy inside and had even less snap than usual, tasted off too. I tossed the package and a few weeks later bought some more. Same thing. So O-M, my decades long go to, is now history. Does anybody have any insight as to why O-M would ruin something as iconic as their beef hot dogs?

Did you happen to notice the dating on the package?
With that consideration-Nathans makes a much better hot dog-but more expensive.
I eat Nathan's and enjoy them but all the Kosher/Halal dogs seem to use more garlic. I need to be in the mood for garlic to eat them.

Reactions: CKN
Did you buy them from the same place? Batch/date codes? If you like this brand try buying one elsewhere and look for the freshest one.

If it's still no good contact the company for a refund or return it, and now you know to buy something else.

Did you buy them from the same place? Batch/date codes? If you like this brand try buying one elsewhere and look for the freshest one.

If it's still no good contact the company for a refund or return it, and now you know to buy something else.
I will have to ask the wife but I imagine Albertsons/Krogers/Walmart must turn over their inventory fairly quickly, less than a few weeks apart I imagine.

I only buy the Oscar Meyer mystery meat hotdogs, I've never tried the all beef. Nathan's are the only beef franks I buy, no reason to look elsewhere.

With that said, I do believe OM is going downhill and has been for a while. I lived by a huge OM plant in Madison, WI my whole life, and they closed it down about 6-7 years since Kraft wants to consolidate everything in lower cost areas. Without that knowledge, I'm not sure what my opinion on OM would be. Probably less biased

I’ve noticed they changed the label on a couple of their products. I only eat regular and cheese hot dogs. Can’t do the beef ones but haven’t noticed any changes to the regular and cheese other than the package.

Dietz and Watson
I had one this evening. Yes, they snap!
Sarbrett and Hoffmann are other top notch brands.

Last edited:
I'm a hot dog fan as well. Has to be beef and i prefer them to hamburgers.
@sloniker, i really can't say i've noticed. I occasionally purchase OM but mostly Nathan's, Hebrew National or Sabrett's.

I like Hot Dogs and have for decades bought Oscar Mayer Beef as my go to. I also will get Johnsonville sausages and Hebrew National or Nathan's and others to just check out. Here about six months ago I made a couple O-M for lunch and the dogs were mushy inside and had even less snap than usual, tasted off too. I tossed the package and a few weeks later bought some more. Same thing. So O-M, my decades long go to, is now history. Does anybody have any insight as to why O-M would ruin something as iconic as their beef hot dogs?
It’s always a bad day when somebody makes your wiener mushy

Since my first time buying OM ham I already never had a good impression of its quality. I didn't realize it used to be a good brand. I do like Hebrew National more but I don't eat much hotdog.

Edited: If I eat a hotdog it's a proper sausage rather than a dog. A bratwurst, a hot link, a bockwurst, etc. Not the baloney type of coagulatied grey/pinkslime with grit.
Auto correction wasn't set up properly and my typing is generally horrific on mobile devices.

Back