Hyundai Engine warranty approved, but...

I would do it. My stepson has a 13 Sonata that had a warranty motor swap a few years back, those hoses weren't replaced and started sweating out coolant a while after at the connections. PITA to get to some of them too. I put new clamps and a little GM coolant additive ( Bars leaks) and all is well for now.

I did get Subaru of America to goodwill $500 considering it was right out of the powertrain warranty.
Funny, years ago I had gone to the service manager with my wife's "knocker" EJ - well within warranty. He directed his ASE Engine Mechanic to ride along. He just stated that, "the base models don't have much sound deadening". But I said, the loud knock, do you hear it? He stated, "they are noisy aluminum engines you know". I said it sounds like a rod bearing as it clatters when you let off the gas before shifting. He just responded - well, just keep an eye on it and come back if it gets worse. So we drove it a few more months and traded it. - At a different Subaru dealer. There was no R.O. written for the "diagnosis".
My advice - if excessive engine noise is becoming apparent w/in warranty - is to "get it in writing on a R.O." and make a clear sound and video recording stating date and showing vehicle ODO - all which sometimes is easier said than done to get good sound without two spaced mics, stands and a good A2D interface - or possibly a dummy head to make a binaural capture for use with HP.

- Ken

Last edited:
Mainia....

That's what I'm taliking about sir! I don't understand why is it so difficult for some ppl to understand that.
Also, I read your story before, and how they replaced your $8-9 Fram ultra with a $4 Hyundai (which is appropriate, but funny that you mentioned that lol)

As proud Hyundai owners, we all expect and deserve the courteous and professional treatment that comes with utilizing "America's Best Warranty." When situations take an unexpected turn at the Hyundai dealership, and your warranty claim is frustratingly denied, remember, you're not alone—we all have our own rendition of the 'Hyundai Warranty Blues.'

Don't hesitate to make your voices heard; print this message on flyers and share them at your local Hyundai dealership. If we're unable to immediately address the unreliable warranty and dubious dealership practices, we can, at the very least, ensure the word is out. Believe me, I too have experienced the sting of inadequate warranty support. Let's unite and ensure that our collective experiences inspire change.

Hyundai Warranty Blues

Well, I bought me a Hyundai, shiny and new,
Took it on the highways, just a thing or two to do.
But under the hood, there started a strange knock,
I took it to the dealership, oh Lord, what a shock.

'Cause Hyundai don't love me, oh no, they don't care,
They take my money, leave me in despair.
Sayin', "Sorry, son, your warranty don't stand,
You're just another number in this corporate land."

The engine was coughing, the brakes wouldn't hold,
My brand new Hyundai was already old.
Took it back to them, said, "This ain't right."
They just shrugged their shoulders, said, "Out of sight, out of mind."

Oh Hyundai, Hyundai, why you do me this way?
You took my money, then you turned me away.
Your shiny brochures, they don't mean a thing,
When your warranty's as empty as a rusted spring.

Got a Hyundai heartbreak, got a Hyundai blues,
Seems like with Hyundai, you're always gonna lose.
All they want is your hard-earned pay,
But when you need 'em most, they just walk away.

Oh, I loved my Hyundai, gave it all my trust,
But Hyundai's love for me just turned to rust.
Their promises are hollow, their service ain't fair,
All they left me with is this old despair.

They take my money, leave me in disrepair.
You're just another pawn in their grand scam land."

So here I am, singing these Hyundai blues,
A cautionary tale for those who might choose,
To trust in a brand that just wants your dough,
But when it comes to love, Hyundai's a no-show.

As proud Hyundai owners, we all expect and deserve the courteous and professional treatment that comes with utilizing "America's Best Warranty." When situations take an unexpected turn at the Hyundai dealership, and your warranty claim is frustratingly denied, remember, you're not alone—we all have our own rendition of the 'Hyundai Warranty Blues.'

Don't hesitate to make your voices heard; print this message on flyers and share them at your local Hyundai dealership. If we're unable to immediately address the unreliable warranty and dubious dealership practices, we can, at the very least, ensure the word is out. Believe me, I too have experienced the sting of inadequate warranty support. Let's unite and ensure that our collective experiences inspire change.

Hyundai Warranty Blues

Well, I bought me a Hyundai, shiny and new,
Took it on the highways, just a thing or two to do.
But under the hood, there started a strange knock,
I took it to the dealership, oh Lord, what a shock.

They take my money, leave me in despair.
You're just another number in this corporate land."

The engine was coughing, the brakes wouldn't hold,
My brand new Hyundai was already old.
Took it back to them, said, "This ain't right."
They just shrugged their shoulders, said, "Out of sight, out of mind."

Oh Hyundai, Hyundai, why you do me this way?
You took my money, then you turned me away.
Your shiny brochures, they don't mean a thing,
When your warranty's as empty as a rusted spring.

Got a Hyundai heartbreak, got a Hyundai blues,
Seems like with Hyundai, you're always gonna lose.
All they want is your hard-earned pay,
But when you need 'em most, they just walk away.

Oh, I loved my Hyundai, gave it all my trust,
But Hyundai's love for me just turned to rust.
Their promises are hollow, their service ain't fair,
All they left me with is this old despair.

They take my money, leave me in disrepair.
You're just another pawn in their grand scam land."

So here I am, singing these Hyundai blues,
A cautionary tale for those who might choose,
To trust in a brand that just wants your dough,
But when it comes to love, Hyundai's a no-show.
I love it!!!! IS this your work?

I would probably take the offer if it was me.

A few years ago, I had a Tacoma frame swap done by my local Toyota dealer for the notorious frame rust issues of that time. While the frame swap was covered completely by Toyota corporate, my local dealer walked me through my vehicle and pointed out the usual "while we are here" things that should be replaced now why it was off the body. Cost me an additional $800 but that was all parts only as the labor was rolled into the frame swap campaign coverage. Sure they made few hundred off me for retail cost of parts but putting some of things back on that were worn and rotted out would have been a future headache anyways.

Update!

Two months later, I got the car back this morning. New engine in and car is running well.

Replaced were the two heater core hoses, three radiator hoses and the belt (all easily accessible from under the hood btw). The total for the "kit" was $215 - far cry from the $499 they initially tried to charge me. Dealer charged me additional $150 for labor cost to replace these parts, parts that would have had to been taken off and re-installed anyway, should I had chosen not to get new ones. I guess it takes $150 worth of labor to take new pars out of the box and install them on to the new engine. Absurd.
But It was 9AM, I had worked a long 12+hr night shift before that, and I didn't have the energy to argue with anyone over $150, so I paid and left. Also, they knew better than to try to charge me $190 diagnostic fee as they originally stated...

So, I went outside and looked under the hood. Everything looked good. Checked the oil, slightly overfilled. No big deal. Coolant overflow tank empty. I squeezed the upper radiator hose, full of air. Opened the radiator cap, no coolant could be visualized. Squeezed the hose again, nothing. Back inside I went. Long story short, they refilled and gave me half a gallon to take home to top off later.

Now, get this: Since I reported the problem on the last day of the powertrain warranty and the dealership took couple of weeks to submit the claim, Hyundai says that my warranty had expired, they have replaced my engine under "good will" and therefore, the new engine comes with no Warranty! As if all the scoring on the cylinder walls happened over night.

I'm going to think about whether I should fight this. I mean, the car is 10 years old, and other thigs will go wrong before the engine does..... or not, knowing Hyundai and their engines... SMH

Last edited:
Update!

Two months later, I got the car back this morning. New engine in and car is running well.

Replaced were the two heater core hoses, three radiator hoses and the belt (all easily accessible from under the hood btw). The total for the "kit" was $215 - far cry from the $499 they initially tried to charge me. Dealer charged me additional $150 for labor cost to replace these parts, parts that would have had to been taken off and re-installed anyway, should I had chosen not to get new ones. I guess it takes $150 worth of labor to take new pars out of the box and install them on to the new engine. Absurd.
But It was 9AM, I had worked a long 12+hr night shift before that, and I didn't have the energy to argue with anyone over $150, so I paid and left. Also, they knew better than to try to charge me $190 diagnostic fee as they originally stated...

So, I went outside and looked under the hood. Everything looked good. Checked the oil, slightly overfilled. No big deal. Coolant overflow tank empty. I squeezed the upper radiator hose, full of air. Opened the radiator cap, no coolant could be visualized. Squeezed the hose again, nothing. Back inside I went. Long story short, they refilled and gave me half a gallon to take home to top off later.

Now, get this: Since I reported the problem on the last day of the powertrain warranty and the dealership took couple of weeks to submit the claim, Hyundai says that my warranty had expired, they have replaced my engine under "good will" and therefore, the new engine comes with no Warranty! As if all the scoring on the cylinder walls happened over night.

I'm going to think about whether I should fight this. I mean, the car is 10 years old, and other thigs will go wrong before the engine does..... or not, knowing Hyundai and their engines... SMH

Take this pig to Carmax and dump it.

Update!

Most parts replaced under warranty usually only have the remaining warranty period left for the new part warranty. So it makes sense you are out of warranty on the new engine.

This is just a "spare" vehicle that I meticulously cared for since day one.
I think I'll keep her...

I'm just surprised that they don't offer any warranty on a new engine... Unlike the lifetime warranty they offer for some of their troublesome Theta 2.4 engines.

I think this may be the norm.

I went through a rash of dehumidifiers in my home, all name brand. They wouldn’t last more than a 18 months. I also learned that manufacturer warranties were worthless if the brick and mortar wouldn’t handle it for you… ie, just try to get a Samsung dehumidifier repaired… just make a few calls and see what you get. so I went Lowe’s and bought one of theirs with the extended plan. Of course, it failed right outside of year one but inside the extended warranty. They basically gave me a full refund and let me buy another. That one also quit right after a year. Lowe’s would not do anything about it. The 5 year warranty to them means the first unit is covered for one replacement in 5 years. It does not mean I’ll have a working dehumidifier for 5 years.

postscript - I’m using a hisence (from Lowe’s) and it has been the longest lasting one yet.

Update!

Seems fair to me, the warranty starts when you bought the car. You got a replacement engine under warranty, that's what they owed you, and that makes sense. But now you are out of warranty, so any future repairs are your problem.

If you're so worried about it, trade it in at Carmax or somewhere and move on. On the other hand, you have a car with a new engine, seems like it's worth keeping if you like it and have a use for the car.

Seems fair to me, the warranty starts when you bought the car. You got a replacement engine under warranty, that's what they owed you, and that makes sense. But now you are out of warranty, so any future repairs are your problem.
Thanks for explaining this at a five year old's level of understanding! 🤣

Guy at work just got approval for a new engine in his '16 Sonata. They gave him a '23 Sonata as a rental (5 weeks time frame)...he's only 20. Dumb as he is, he posted burnout pics on his Facebook account, with the front dealer plate visible, and raves about how fast it is. He claims the engine "just let go on the highway" in his '16 but I'm pretty sure he was racing someone. He said that his car has 120 K miles on it.

If you're so worried about it, trade it in at Carmax or somewhere and move on. On the other hand, you have a car with a new engine, seems like it's worth keeping if you like it and have a use for the car.
Oh, I get that.
It just seems odd to me that they would offer lifetime warranty to their Theta 2.4 costumers, but only one time engine replacement to their Nu 1.8 costumers when both engines have similar flaws.

Guy at work just got approval for a new engine in his '16 Sonata. They gave him a '23 Sonata as a rental (5 weeks time frame)...he's only 20. Dumb as he is, he posted burnout pics on his Facebook account, with the front dealer plate visible, and raves about how fast it is. He claims the engine "just let go on the highway" in his '16 but I'm pretty sure he was racing someone. He said that his car has 120 K miles on it.

I admittedly might not know what I'm talking about here, but I don't believe that are any stipulations that you always have to do the speed limit in order to keep your warranty in effect.

I'm assuming that the car has a rev limiter to protect itself. As long as there were no modifications that Hyundai might not like, and there are no obvious signs of abuse, he should be ok.

Of course now that I mentioned signs of abuse, I would guess his Facebook video that you speak of very well could be evidence of abuse and they probably very well could deny him because of it.

So, I went there today to ask about a list of items of the "discounted kit for $499.99". Guess what! There's no kit. Stealership says "there's no list. It's not a kit with a part #. We'll let you know what we ordered when we order the parts". i asked if any labor is included in the $499. No one could tell me. they're selling me something at a price, but they can't tell me what they're selling me.
So, just as I had suspected, they're ripping ppl off!
Also, I asked to see report from the fidings of the $190 diagnostic procedure. The guy said "something was scored on the cylinder walls or something". Won't show me a report. I next asked if timing chain/guides are included with the short block. The guy said "yeah, you're getting a whole new engine, not short block". Yeah, OK. We'll see.

i guess once they show me a list of items I'll pick and choose from that. I'll pick the ones that would be difficult to access and I won't be able change myself.
Btw, word on the street is that the new engine components aren't much better that the ones that have failed. Hyundai used "improved" piston coating to prevent this exact problen on their '14 and up Nu1.8/2.0 engines, buth there are reports of those developing piston sap as well, so that's that...

The purpose of this post was not only to get opinions, but also to show how well Hyondai is handling the case, and how bad the stealerships are. The car has been trouble free untill now. Back then, I chose it over a Civic or a Corola because of the warranty. Unlike some, I'm not surprised that it was honored. And Don't think I got lucky. They choose not to fight it because they knew they would loose in court. And they knew I was ready to take it that far.
Again-you got a new motor at no charge? RIGHT? It's not how bad so called "Stealerships are". It's how bad THIS DEALER was.

I lost track with you rant...how much exactly did you spend with the new motor?

Back