Hyundai Engine warranty approved, but...

Hi folks, need some help here.

I've got a '13 Elantra (Nu 1.8 MPI engine) meticulously maintained by me (original owner). Has had piston slap on cold starts for the last couple of years. Took it in a month ago, on the last day of powertrain warranty. Dealer said it will cost me US $190 to diagnose the problem. I said OK. Piston slap confirmed by dealership. Car still there. Hyundai asked for service documents. I said no, this is manufacturing defect and no service could have prevented it. Dealer pulled valve cover off, sent pics to Hyundai, warranty approved for short block.
I got a call from the dealer yesterday saying, "Hyundai suggests new heater core hoses, radiator hoses, serpentine belt kit, discounted at $499.99". Has anyone heard of this before? Is there such kit? It makes sense to replace those, but I'm little suspicious about their "discounted price" of the "kit". I mean, $500 for 4-5 hoses and a belt? I feel like the dealer is trying to rip me off. Also, since it was found that the there's a problem that's covered under warranty, should I ask that Hyundai pays for the $190 dealer diagnostic fee?

btw, Hyundai offered to pay for a rental, but I don't won't take them up on that.

Thx for any comments.

I’d fight them on the diagnostic fee since it is under warranty. Ram dealer tried that with me when I got my fuel tank replaced, they dropped it after I pointed out that it’s a warranty repair.

As for the belts and hoses, if that’s parts and labor I’d go ahead and just do it. They are 10 years old at this point, it wouldn’t hurt since they’ll have super easy access to everything.

Also you may want to ask if a timing chain and tensioner guides are included with the short block. If it were mine I would be replacing those while they are in there. This will give you additional peace of mine if you decide to keep the car.

It’s normal in these nutty repairs to pay for some parts(optionally).

My parents 2000 Tundra got a frame replacement under recall/would not pass NH inspection however they spent around $1200 for brand new exhaust in 2013 and also super cheap timing belt replacement as everything exposed.

$500 installed for that stuff sounds reasonable to me. It's discounted because it has to be disconnected anyways.

Yes, the diagnostic fee should be waived since it's warranty work. Realistically, many diagnostic fees are waived when you agree to the work if it's a larger project.

Agree with the timing components question, going to likely cost you some more money, but that engine will be solid when you get it back.

Why wouldn't you take them up on the rental?

$500 installed for that stuff sounds reasonable to me. It's discounted because it has to be disconnected anyways.

Yes, the diagnostic fee should be waived since it's warranty work. Realistically, many diagnostic fees are waived when you agree to the work if it's a larger project.

Agree with the timing components question, going to likely cost you some more money, but that engine will be solid when you get it back.

Why wouldn't you take them up on the rental?
That doesn't seem discounted.

I'd ask for the HYUNDAI document recommending this change.
Many things called a manufacturer's recommendation are merely the dealer's recommendation.

Request the Hyundai part number of this kit.
If they cannot provide these, pass, or at the very least, negotiate for a price of about 1/2 for those parts.
I'm presuming the $500 is for the parts. The labor is included in replacing the engine, or at least should be.

I would ask for a comprehensive list of the contents of the "kit".
And a part number. If this is really a Hyundai kit, it should have a Hyundai part number.
I'd also like to see the Hyundai document recommending this kit.
It's not a bad idea for a 10 year old car. It's the $500 for a half dozen $30 items that has me scratching my head..
Four or five coolant hoses and a serpentine belt should certainly be less than half of what they are asking. (6*$30 = $180)
Unless there's another 10 belts and hoses in that kit, it's a bit overpriced.

That doesn't seem discounted.

I'd ask for the HYUNDAI document recommending this change.
Many things called a manufacturer's recommendation are merely the dealer's recommendation.

Request the Hyundai part number of this kit.
If they cannot provide these, pass, or at the very least, negotiate for a price of about 1/2 for those parts.
I'm presuming the $500 is for the parts. The labor is included in replacing the engine, or at least should be.

I think the term discounted is open to interpretation. Are they discounting the parts? Not likely, are they discounting the labor associated with it since they will already have the engine completely out of the car? Probably.

At a dealership, that is not a $500 job.

Diag fee should be waved now that warranty claim is approved. Engine out = dealer goign to try to replace anything they can to pad the repair ticked. Flat rate warranty work doesn't pay well so often the techs want to get a bit more out of it. I'd personally replace anything I could while it's out but of course it's not my money.

It's $499, and my math at $170 for parts is probably really conservative so lets say half that is labor. It seems reasonable but I'd ask for a list of the parts replaced anyway.

I think the term discounted is open to interpretation. Are they discounting the parts? Not likely, are they discounting the labor associated with it since they will already have the engine completely out of the car? Probably.

At a dealership, that is not a $500 job.
Most of the labor is already covered by the engine swap.
I could see MAYBE an extra 0.5 of labor to swap the hoses at the heater core and radiator ends. The serp belt already needs to be installed on the replacement engine, so that doesn't add any extra labor.
I don't see $500, even with 0.5 - 1.0 of labor as any sort of real discount.
As others have mentioned, more details needed.

It's $499, and my math at $170 for parts is probably really conservative so lets say half that is labor. It seems reasonable but I'd ask for a list of the parts replaced anyway.

Yes, if they were JUST doing the belts and hoses, I'd be with you. An hour or two of labor.

But much of that labor is already included in the engine swap.
I could see as much as an added hour to replace instead of just disconnecting the heater hoses and radiator hoses at the engine. The serpentine belt is needed anyway and should be part of the engine swap labor.
More information is needed to understand what is provided for $500

You won't get something "included" with the labor of the engine swap at a dealer. They will likely charge you book rate on top of it for the additional work b/c as I said above, the rates for warranty work are often pretty low vs. normal out-of-warranty repairs.

You won't get something "included" with the labor of the engine swap at a dealer. They will likely charge you book rate on top of it for the additional work b/c as I said above, the rates for warranty work are often pretty low vs. normal out-of-warranty repairs.
Yes, they will try to stack the labor instead of just charging for any additional labor.

Doesn't make it right.
The low labor rates are something the dealership signed up for when they became a franchised dealer. If you want to sell cars, you agree to the warranty labor rates.
Right now, I don't feel too sorry for dealerships that are suffering. It's largely a problem they've created.
Yes, it sucks to get paid less due to a manufacturer defect.

Sucks even more for the consumer.

Back