Dealer and Mechanic Anecdotes

I have never had a bad dealership experience and have had very few bad mechanic experiences, but I am an educated and realistic customer; I always do my pricing and reputation homework and I understand mistakes happen.

Two interesting anecdotes and one experience over the past few weeks:

-Mom has a 2018 BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe. They have gone to the local BMW dealer for service since I gave them my 318Ti in 1998, and have been happy. Mom had an oil change and brake fluid flush. She called me while at the dealer and said '...they say the rear brakes are very worn and should be replaced, especially the left side.' I ask how many miles? ~23k total... Suspicious, I tell Mom to get the pad thickness in writing and an estimate. Oddly, the tech's didn't note anything in the inspection write up when she checked out.... I looked at the pads and they are around 8-10mm. Apparently, the Dealer was recently sold to a large group and seem to have a new approach to business.

-Acquaintance's Daughter just went to college in the Midwest and her Parents got her an older but minty and extremely low mileage Accord from their elderly relative. They had the vehicle inspected and serviced at a well-respected indy before launch. ABS warning light came on and she went to local mechanic in the college town who told her that the car was extremely unsafe, didn't want to let her drive it home and the fix would be more than the car is worth, but he would give her $1500 for the car right then. Long story short, it was one wheel sensor according to another indy and the car is fixed and driving happily.

-My DD, a '20 Range Rover, went in for a software update recall and some very minor warranty work that should only take one or two days at most. I have used this dealer twice in the past and was happy. After a week I don't hear anything, so I call; 'should be a few days..'. Another week and I don't hear, so I leave a message for the Tech; no reply after another few days. Was traveling and have other cars, so I wasn't inconvenienced, but was getting a bit irritated. Another call or two, a week passes, then I tell the receptionist I will be in the area in a few days and will stop by. I get a call later that day saying the vehicle is done. I pick it up, all is good, it is spotless, minor squawks fixed, has ~20 more miles which is not unusual after the software updates. Then I notice that the front left fender liner is not quite aligned, it is on the wrong side of a plastic captive nut and I also notice that a portion of the bumper seems to be a very, very different shade from the fender....me thinks I now know why the car had an extended stay...

RRlffl.jpg

Last edited:
A local shop told one of our volunteers (who was a college kid at the time) her CRV needed a clutch. I drove it and couldn't understand the diagnosis.

Clutch pedal throw was short but it disengaged to shift and I couldn't make it slip under ANY circumstance.

I climbed under the dash and pivot bushings had just worn excessively. I just made new ones on the lathe.

They quoted a clutch job (complete with fancy printout on shop software) for worn bushings under the dash. It's now four years later and her clutch is still going.

When I have not time to change the oil myself , I left the corrola in hands of freind of mine to change it with cabin filter. He always changes the air filter. So , I have 2-3 air filters Mann, heingst for the next 100 k miles:)

@wings&wheels, what is the rest of the story with the Range Rover? Did you let it go? Or did you bring it to the dealership's attention?
I called the assigned tech to get an answer and he 'is no longer employed by our dealership'. I elected to stop there as I didn't have any real proof, the finish difference is extremely slight and there is no other evidence of body work, anything that's been straightened, etc., and I did a very close look. Plus they comped me a few things for 'my wait'; oil changes. If there was any sheet metal or running gear work, then I would have.

Things happen, I get it, but honesty would have been nice, if anything did happen. On the other hand, I've seen new cars at dealers that obviously had some touch up.

Took the 2014 Rav-4 to the dealer to replace pcv as preventive maintenance. They quoted me 200$ over the phone and once I took the car there and singed the quote. Once I got back home got a call from the service advisor that his mechanic tells him it indeed takes 3 hours and will be about 600. Long story short, after a few emails to them and their manager to document what they mentioned and pictures of the quote we signed, I could made them do it with the original 180$ signed quote. Also made them take pictures of the process, replacing throttle body gasket and intake manifold gasket (all that crap is need to be changed for a proper pcv replacement actually). If they cannot even check hours for a pcv replacement before telling you their estimate its on them to stick to their signed quote.

About 7 years ago before I exclusively performed my own maintenance, I was told by the dealer my front brakes were “in the yellow, will need to be replaced soon.” It was even marked on the multipoint inspection. Got home, checked them myself and they were fine.

Here’s the kicker, these brakes are still in the car to this day. I have no doubt the dealership would have unnecessarily sold me 2 or more brake jobs by now.

This is one of many reasons my cars only go to the dealer for warranty or recall work.

Last edited:
Greatest incompetence from a dealer for me was when the salesman who sold my used Traverse promised they would fix the power mirrors while they were replacing the bumper cover. I had found the fuse for the mirrors blown, but it was a tiny 2 amp fuse that nobody carried. Salesman saw me at the parts counter as I was ordering a new one, and added to the paperwork to replace the fuse and fix the mirrors when I told him they weren’t working. They had it for two days, and their tech could not identify the correct fuse saying the fuse was good. After day #2, I called for an update, they still insisted the fuse was good, and they think it needs a new body control module for $1500 which is on my dime as they won’t fix it. I declined, but since the salesman wrote on the work order they owed me a fuse, I showed them the blown fuse, and they coughed up a new one. After 20 minutes of troubleshooting at home with the factory service manual, found out their tech was completely incompetent as the body control module did not control the mirrors at all. The culprit? Bad mirror switch, $20 on Amazon. It had broken a contact off inside which short circuited and blew the fuse. Filled out their “how did we do” feedback, and let them know how far off their diagnosis was and how long it actually took me to diagnose it correctly.

These days it is kind of expected that mistakes will happen, but the difference is how those mistakes are corrected with the customer. I'm curious if it was the same BMW dealer I'm thinking of...

I guess i'm a little different ... improperly installed parts is proof enough, i'd point blank ask them if they wrecked it.

Recently took the VW dealer 8 or 9 days to do a Windshield, TPMS recall and a TSB. Communications terrible (non existent unless you call), tech apparently illiterate because he cant read the TSB well enough to order all the parts the first time, and scratched the chip guard on the pinch welds because he's too lazy to use a drive on rack or lift pads.

Techs reply was that i should call VW and complain if i didn't like it, so i did... suspect he wont do that again. It would be nice if he "is no longer employed by our dealership".

Frustrating because this dealer has been excellent for everything else.

I started on a whole thread on this…

In general, though, my local MB dealer is expensive, but good. They have properly fixed every problem that I have brought them. I have them do state inspections, and most recently, they replaced worn bushing in the front lower control arms on the SL600 that were discovered during the inspection. They knocked a few hundred $$ off the price. I had the car in for a state inspection and alignment, because the handling was off a hair. With those bushings done, the handling is perfect. I am happy to pay for good work.

My local Volvo dealer is also expensive, but good. They’ve been working on my Volvos since about 1993. I trust them.

My local Toyota dealer is hopelessly incompetent.

First time they touched the Tundra, for an oil change, they managed to dent the transmission oil cooler and lose the skid plate bolts. Well, actually, they left them stuck in a magnetic dish on the frame, about three feet away, and replaced the bolts with new, because the “mechanic” forgot where he put them. They were still there when I changed the oil 5,000 miles later. I kept the dish.

Next time they touched the Tundra was for a rear bumper bracket recall (replacing a composite bracket with steel). They removed 8 bolts, and put 7 back. I sent them a picture of the missing bolt. I happened to have an 8mm body bolt, so I replaced it, but they continue to be inept, and I don’t really want them touching my truck again.

Well, actually, they left them stuck in a magnetic dish on the frame, about three feet away, and replaced the bolts with new, because the “mechanic” forgot where he put them. They were still there when I changed the oil 5,000 miles later. I kept the dish.
Reminds me of a co-worker who picked up his Mitsubishi SUV from the dealer after some repairs.... Next day at work, we were looking at it in the parking lot and it was obvious the hood was either mis-aligned, or not closed properly, or something. He opened and closed it several times and it still looked slightly mis-aligned. Upon closer examination, we found a 6" long 3/8-drive Snap-On socket extension lying in the "rail" where the hood closes. As far as I know, he kept it.

The Ford dealers in Louisville are essentially hopeless; one of my friends couldn't pick up his car at Oxmoor(ons) Ford after a warranty visit because they couldn't find who had the keys. I once emailed the parts department at Bill Collins Ford asking if they had a particular transmission oil in stock, I received a reply that they had 8 quarts on hand. I made a special trip to the dealer and the guy at the parts counter said that they were out of that oil. I mentioned the email and he tells me, "Ya shouda called, those email guys are always wrong." I think the Ford stores in my area have a strict policy of not hiring service staff with opposable thumbs.

A few weeks ago my wife mentioned that one of her friends has a newer Honda and that the paint was peeling off of the roof. I did some online searching and found that there is a TSB that addresses the issue. So, she took it to the local dealer. The service manager took pictures and said the photos needed to be sent to Honda for approval. Fair enough, but since then it has been a fiasco. No calls or updates, no returned calls, etc. The last straw was last week- she was sent an agreement to sign that stated that the windshield would need to be removed and that she would be responsible for paying for if it was broken by the dealer.
She complained to Honda USA and Honda is apparently siding with her. However, the damage is done; the friend has said she will never buy another Honda. Just another example of how the dealer experience can completely destroy any brand loyalty.

In contrast, my BMW, Jeep, and Mercedes dealers have all been first rate.

The Ford dealers in Louisville are essentially hopeless; one of my friends couldn't pick up his car at Oxmoor(ons) Ford after a warranty visit because they couldn't find who had the keys. I once emailed the parts department at Bill Collins Ford asking if they had a particular transmission oil in stock, I received a reply that they had 8 quarts on hand. I made a special trip to the dealer and the guy at the parts counter said that they were out of that oil. I mentioned the email and he tells me, "Ya shouda called, those email guys are always wrong." I think the Ford stores in my area have a strict policy of not hiring service staff with opposable thumbs.

A few weeks ago my wife mentioned that one of her friends has a newer Honda and that the paint was peeling off of the roof. I did some online searching and found that there is a TSB that addresses the issue. So, she took it to the local dealer. The service manager took pictures and said the photos needed to be sent to Honda for approval. Fair enough, but since then it has been a fiasco. No calls or updates, no returned calls, etc. The last straw was last week- she was sent an agreement to sign that stated that the windshield would need to be removed and that she would be responsible for paying for if it was broken by the dealer.
She complained to Honda USA and Honda is apparently siding with her. However, the damage is done; the friend has said she will never buy another Honda. Just another example of how the dealer experience can completely destroy any brand loyalty.

In contrast, my BMW, Jeep, and Mercedes dealers have all been first rate.
Yes I would have to agree about honda- never again.

Back