2016 Volvo V60 - dealer put used oil back in the car

Is it SOP for dealers to to drain used oil and re-use it? Sorry, but that is not okay. Just a humble opinion. Motor oil is cheap.. Yet, some people argue about using an oil filter twice..

Is it SOP for dealers to to drain used oil and re-use it? Sorry, but that is not okay. Just a humble opinion. Motor oil is cheap.. Yet, some people argue about using an oil filter twice..
I agree since there is no way to keep the drained oil actually clean in the shop environment.
The OP had an oil consumption test done due to a defect inflicted by the manufacturer and they then denied warranty on that defect.
Dumping the drain oil back in is adding insult to injury.

Brand new to this forum, and I just wanted to comment on the reusing of coolant, which I have done a few times. I do 99% of my own service and, as such, a lot of it gets done late at night or on weekends when the stores are closed. At least once I reused the coolant in an “emergency” situation when it was not possible to run out and purchase new antifreeze. Filtered once or twice through some coffee filters I see no problem in putting good used coolant back into the cooling system.

After owning Saab’s for the last 32 years I finally made the switch to Volvo (the Saab was in an accident and totaled). I bought a 2013 S60 T5 FWD with 102,000 miles on it and just completed my first oil change.

Finding a good Volvo dealer can be a chore, but I think there is at least one left in northern NJ, although I haven’t had to take this “new” car there yet. There’s also an excellent independent near me, but I prefer to do all my own service whenever possible.

Back in 90s Toyota would change rings for oil usage without cat codes. They instructed us to drain coolant in clean containers as well as oil. We would order a head gasket, ring set and a tube of sealant. Remove piston and replace rings. Everything got reused. I have seen lots of shady repairs however only had one comeback that was from overheating. Toyota was the shadiest. Well except insurance companies. If not using oil before 500 miles keep driving it and check regularly. I drove a Chevrolet truck for 300k and it would use 1 quart every 100 miles and Chevrolet wouldn't do anything since it was considered normal.

Back