Local oil change place mis hap

My good friend a female took a four ride to see her twin sons in college. They day before she took her Jetta to a local car wash oil change place for a oil change. On her way back from the college visit the plastic shield underneath the engine came loose and dragging on the NY thruway. She ended up getting towed back home for a cost of $650 plus tolls. Next day she took the car back to the oil change place ready for a big argument . The owner did the right thing. Went to VW got a new shield installed it. Wrote her a check for $650 plus the tolls and gave her a $100 gift certificate for future use at the the place. Stand up owner I was expecting to visit the guy to possibly strong arm the guy instead I stopped by to thank him.

The good thing in all of this is that the shop did the right thing and corrected their error without a fuss.

The bad thing in all of this is that a employee of the shop can't do a simple splash shield removal and reinstallation without screwing it up.

My good friend a female took a four ride to see her twin sons in college. They day before she took her Jetta to a local car wash oil change place for a oil change. On her way back from the college visit the plastic shield underneath the engine came loose and dragging on the NY thruway. She ended up getting towed back home for a cost of $650 plus tolls. Next day she took the car back to the oil change place ready for a big argument . The owner did the right thing. Went to VW got a new shield installed it. Wrote her a check for $650 plus the tolls and gave her a $100 gift certificate for future use at the the place. Stand up owner I was expecting to visit the guy to possibly strong arm the guy instead I stopped by to thank him.
That type of customer service after an error on a business (employee), is almost unheard of nowadays. Hate the splash guard faux pas happened, but it was handled quickly in a satisfactory manner after the fact.

FWIW - AAA membership for the highest level has 200 miles towing coverage. Or 100 miles or standard 7 miles for different plans. Don't have to have AAA insurance. YMMV.

Last edited:
The good thing in all of this is that the shop did the right thing and corrected their error without a fuss.

The bad thing in all of this is that a employee of the shop can't do a simple splash shield removal and reinstallation without screwing it up.

I’ve seen lots of vehicles lately with plastic splash shields are dragging on the ground.

Even crazier if this was down by the city. Different world there.

Nick
Fabulous story and a few highly righteous people / companies, still roaming on this increasingly evil earth.
Please either post the name of the car wash / oil change shop, or send me a PM please.

I see cars everyday driving on the highway with belly pans or splash shields dragging the ground like a big scoop. Could get interesting if you run over a dead possum.

• Haha
Reactions: wlk
I you tubed the oil change procedure on a Jetta that shield covers the whole bottom of the engine it's big and a hassle to deal with
My sister owns a 2013 Jetta 2.5L. The shield needs to be removed for each change to access the filter/drain bolt. It is only 3 torx screws on each side, and easy to remove, but when I couldn't do the oil change for her for 2 years when she lived quite a distance away, the bolts would 1 by 1 go missing, and eventually a shop took off the shield and never replaced it.

I had a similar experience with a local independent. Subaru found a stripped differential plug. Asked if I'd done work or had others work. I mentioned the independent place and asked for a receipt for repair cost. I emailed the owner the receipt from the dealer of $50 and he sent me a $100 Visa gift card. Still scared me away even though I was a bit shocked he didn't fuss. Apologized, said he'd talk to his employee because he should've seen he stripped the head of the bolt, etc. Would've preferred they noticed, admitted it on the spot, and fixed it when I had it at their shop, however...Subaru gave me the plug and said they needed a breaker bar to get it out. So not only the head stripped but it was torqued to a million foot pounds or something.

ONLY NYS THurway authorized companies can tow on the nys thruway and rates are set by nys. no towing such as aaa are accepted

Back