Oil change place under-filled. Supposedly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this still have the 100k warranty?

Methinks Kia will say they have no blame, they didn't touch it and it's not their fault for damage when the sump is empty. The quickie lube will deny issue also, claiming it was fine for 1k.

Only if the engine locked up without throwing a rod might you get lucky: if you can show the oil filter was spewing oil, or that the drain plug was missing, could you somehow go after quickie lube. Otherwise... it's one of those "it's your own fault" situations.

There's simply no proof of error on the part of either Kia or the oil change shop.

1000 miles later is the owners fault. 90% of people I ask if checked the oil level lately give me a 'deer in the headlight' stare and a stupid comment like "I don't bother" "where do you do that" and my favorite "But it's a new car".

A buddy of mine put in at least a half of dozen engines at the expense of Iffy Lube, but going for a thousand miles and not checking the oil?

And people look at me funny when I say I check my oil at least once a week. Used to do it every time before I drove the car.

Originally Posted By: BMOC
And people look at me funny when I say I check my oil at least once a week. Used to do it every time before I drove the car.

Yeah, because you deserve it. Every time you drive off is OCD. Do you also check tire pressure? I just checked mine today because I happened to be topping up my windshield washer fluid, but once every few hundred is fine, especially if it's not an oil burner/leaker.

Don't the vast majority of cars on the road today have a low oil level sensor that would activate 1/2 to 1 quart low? I would assume 80-90% of those still work.

Once the Montgomery Ward auto center left the oil cap off of my mom's 91 Corolla. It was noticed pretty quickly when she got out onto the road and there was smoke coming from under the hood. They replaced the lost oil and paid for an engine cleaning.

20+ years later on the 03 Taurus she has now, Midas didn't tighten the filter enough. 3-6 months after she had it done last, I offered to do it to save her some money since I had the time I was borrowing the car. I bumped the filter with my thumb while reaching in with the filter wrench and it began unspinning!! It's a miracle it stayed on. Maybe the oil pump's pressure is what kept it from coming totally off when driving. I called her up and told her to never go back to where ever she last had the oil changed.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Don't the vast majority of cars on the road today have a low oil level sensor that would activate 1/2 to 1 quart low? I would assume 80-90% of those still work.

I'm not sure on this car. I do see a oil pressure sender/switch listed at rockauto.

As far as I know, no warning lights came on.

Originally Posted By: BMOC

Ditto, i check it every weekend.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
There are 1000s of such stories on the above situation.....some, not all oil change places will show you on the dipstick before you leave the shop....but that said, pull around the building and check it yourself or have a friend check it.

As to what I think about you getting a new engine of sorts, hmm, I dont know....it looks like a he said, she said kind of thing....

Don't know why you need to pull around the corner. They're not trying to hide anything.
Most quick oil changes have that you can come back within a couple weeks to top off any fluids

Last edited:
VIOC always does the company van, they always start it & let it run for a few minutes & check for leaks-but I always recheck it the next couple of fillups, haven't lost an engine yet.

My theory would be:

Possibly the quick lube shop didn't tighten either the oil fill cap,drain plug,or filter properly,causing a slow oil leak which eventually caused engine failure. Would it be possible to have the car examined to determine if one of these areas had been leaking to either prove or disprove negligence from the quick lube shop?

With a bit of investigation this problem can likely be figured out. The car needs to be examined, first externally around the engine for leaks around the filter installation and drain plug, and then inside. Oil analysis and a good look at the crankshaft and bearings along with the rods, pistons and cylinder walls with a macro lens. The inside of the oil filter needs a careful look, as well.

It's too bad there is not a third party that can do this work. There is, of course but no one is going to pay for it.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

I'm not sure on this car. I do see a oil pressure sender/switch listed at rockauto.

As far as I know, no warning lights came on.

My 2010 Subaru doesn't. I check mine every week.

None I currently own(newest '07) and the ones that did only function at ign switch on, once started it's useless... Why?? Once engine starts there's a quart or two in the upper regions of the engine so as far as sensor, level is low...

BTW I've never seen a oil level come on till approx. 1.5qt low, or car was at steep angle...

IMO they are ouot of luck, either underfilled or a leak and I would go with a slow leak, maybe a filter but the nosies should have been a trigger to check the oil etc. Neither party is going to belly up to the bar on this one and the owners need to be looking for a rebuild or junk yard engine or work some deal with the dealer if possible. This happens with DIY people as well, but usually a DIY person will double check the work soon after to look for leaks and check the oil. Even if I have a shop do work I always always look to see it was done, never trust anyone today to do the job correctly.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Checking the oil leevel at reasonable intervals is expected from owners. My manuals suggest checking oil level at each fuel fill up. ed

In the end the car owner is responsible for checking the oil level at recommended intervals. The KIA dealer and oil change shop are NOT going to foot the bill, even if they are responsible for under filling.
This car went 1000 miles before the failure, blame it on the owner.

In another lifetime, I did work at a gas station , you know the old fashion ones where they did oil changes. The station owner always told us to check and make sure the old oil filter gasket came off with the old filter...if you install a new filter on top of the old gasket that was left on the engine, you will have leaks...2 gaskets do not work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back