are service writers under any obligation to tell you something is under warranty?

I was a dealership service manager for a long time (after being a tech). I would warranty everything I could for people, it's still income and it's great for building loyalty (not to mention it's the right thing to do).
Problem is some dealers do not pay a commission to advisors on warranty, only customer pay. Find out if your dealer does this..... if they do I suggest questioning everything they try to sell you.

Most service writers I’ve interacted with felt more like salespeople than mechanics, and often lacked basic knowledge and would just sell from a list. Buddy of mine maintains his Mazdas at a local dealer and they recommend stuff based on mileage and not actual condition of the parts.

I do feel for ignorant customers- I'm pretty sharp about this stuff. I won't even argue when the ******** meter pegs, I just walk out leaving leaving them standing there- once that trust is broken there's no going back for me.

Nissan Service writers always bring up warranty issues. It gives more work to the techs, warranty pay is better than no pay.

Are those guys on commission?
Yes. I am on commission as well, mine is based on a percentage of department pre-expense department profit. Due to laws changing regarding dealer warranty parts compensation, we make dramatically more on warranty parts the past 3 years. To the point that there are times we make more selling a part under warranty than we do selling over the retail counter at MSRP. Hence why so many dealers are dropping wholesale, makes no sense to put effort into selling at an eventual loss when you can make more by selling to the service department under warranty.

My experience has shown on these occasions it is better to take it to the dealership first. Independents seem less likely to have you covered, even with an outstanding warranty/recall issue. They prefer NOT to have to do the paperwork, although you may be able to make a claim directly to the manufacturer after incurring the expense. Of course, this requires you to do the research in advance to know there is an outstanding recall.

I usually check-in with the dealer first to get an estimate. Most good dealers will identify any warranty/recall issue and adjust the estimate accordingly. They are then compensated from the manufacturer for the work. Out of warranty/recall, if you can get a better estimate from an indy. that you are confident in, then you can make the decision. Also, I find dealerships may match some indy's on price, even if not under warranty/recall.

I remember when business models were based on satisfied customers and word of mouth. Profit & success were the natural result of this approach. Now it's profit over everything, even customer service. Not all businesses are run like this, but it is typical of big modern corporations. I wish the mom & pop stores could sell new Hondas lol.

[QUOTE="I Yup
[/QUOTE]
On GM vehicles there is a disclosure form that states the dealer is obligated to apply all GM rebates that apply. They can be penalized if they dont. Which is not to say that there arent some shady ones that try.

Back