Not a great conversation with my local Infiniti dealer today. Least they were honest.

No they wont. But yea the OP can spin his wheels if he wants to....
You guys can't avoid dealers-then want favors with something breaks-out of warranty. Can't have it both ways.
You can speak for yourself here. I've had two different Chevrolet dealers replace parts out of warranty on.. get this... used trucks I didn't buy from them. I paid labor both times, and it was reasonable too.
It does happen. And it doesn't hurt to ask, especially when there is a TSB on the problem too.

You can speak for yourself here. I've had two different Chevrolet dealers replace parts out of warranty on.. get this... used trucks I didn't buy from them. I paid labor both times, and it was reasonable too.
It does happen. And it doesn't hurt to ask, especially when there is a TSB on the problem too.
I am assuming that was pre C Pandemic. Things have changed dramatically with most dealers. They can be what they are....well because they can.

He said that would be solely the decision of the parts manager, but he explained that large companies that re-sell dealer parts only get 15% discount so I can't expect more than 10%.

He failed to mention that his parts counter guys work on commission, just like he does, and all his mechanics ("flat rate" book hours.) The more they discount the part the less they take home. They've got boat payments too, you know.

I don't have any experience with Infiniti but sometimes a manufacturer does step up and help even after the warranty. My brother in law bought an Acura MDX used. The transmission failed a few months out of warranty. The repair was going to be $8-9k. He reached out to a local Acura dealer who contacted the manufacturer and they covered 75% of the cost.

Manufactures do offer good will sometimes. Dealers can lean on their FOM for goodwill if needed. Maintenance history at the dealer goes along way when it comes to how much they want to try to help. But they are really under zero obligation. Warranties are pretty clearly expressed. A day out is still out. One mile out is still out.

There is no such thing as loyalty anymore, from employers, employees, customers or businesses. Even if you went to the dealer for every single service including adding air to the tires, I really doubt they would do anything if you are outside of warranty. I hear stories about this stuff all the time on both cars and equipment. It is hard enough getting coverage when you are WITHIN warranty, asking for the dealer to make a repair for free (they won't get paid for warranty work by the manufacturer) when there is no guarantee you won't just buy from the dealer down the street for your next car doesn't make good business sense.

Gone are the old days where businesses relied on customer satisfaction, and a customer relationship. Now price is everything.

Maintenance history at the dealer goes along way when it comes to how much they want to try to help.
The OP did buy two vehicles there, if I'm understanding his post correctly. The second one was just six months ago.

I'm adding this story to my long list of reasons to never own a 4WD vehicle.

See if there is an online video on how to repair your existing part.
I haven't had the sophisticated AWD, but I go out of my way for 4x4- haven't had any issues that a 2wd hasn't had.

From what I've read in this thread, why not try the remanufactured unit described above and do it yourself? That's what I would do.
That depends if this part is a known problem- if not usually an issue I would try used oem. Depends on the labour. I've had three diffs changed out and all were 1k-2k, so not a cheap problem in the scheme of things.

For those who received "a solid" from their dealerships during situations like this, that's great. But it isn't unreasonable when you receive nothing while out of warranty. If you keep moving up the chain, OP, i hope you're more successful finding resolution.

Exception being if there was a TSB related to your issue or if you complained about this issue, both while under warranty.

Last edited:
The OP did buy two vehicles there, if I'm understanding his post correctly. The second one was just six months ago.
I get it. That helps also, but the service department operates separately from sales. At most new car dealerships, the service department pays the bills. It generally accounts for roughly double the GP of the new car sales department.

Maybe next time call sales guy who sold you the last car? He is the one who is interested in keeping you as a customer.

My parents 2016 Forester just had the valve body go bad on the transmission and it was just outside the extended warranty. They didn't use the selling dealer for regular service either, and had the local garage down the road do the CVT service as well, so who knows what fluid is in it..
They are thinking about a new car though and a Forester still checks all the boxes for them, so my suggestion was to go talk to the subaru sales guy and get him all excited about a mint looking well equipped senior owned trade in, and then drop that its needs the CVT valve body fixed and see what happens? Dealer might use their goodwill points, or do it for cost, or probably just try to rip them off even more on the trade-in value :LOL: I dunno, to me it was worth a shot, but in the end they just paid for a new valve body themselves without bothering to go to the dealer.

Back