Not a great conversation with my local Infiniti dealer today. Least they were honest.

Ten years ago I was part of an Infiniti dealer training effort to make sure dealers were taking care of their customers. Infiniti was really motivated to develop loyal customers rather than having dealers hawking a commodity product and treating every customer interaction like a commission based opportunity. Their CEO got up and talked about life-customers they won back in the '90s because they treated them well, one Q45 window regulator after another.

Maybe Infiniti-US would be interested in your case. Maybe not. It was a big picture thing. If the product has faults but they take care of you, that makes it okay. How the people treat you is more important than the machine letting you down. If they took really good care of you at the dealer service department perhaps they could win your business from the trusted independent (yourself) you've been using.

This is a difficult one. If the dealer or Infiniti really cared about you as a customer they’d replace that thing as it’s obviously a common failure and you’re just a few thousand miles out of warranty. BUT at the same time you bought the car knowing it had an X mile warranty and now that you’ve exceeded that it’s really not their problem.

The part is available and you can either pay them to replace it or you can do it yourself - that’s that. However, I would say contacting Infiniti corporate would be a good idea and see if they will either give you a discount on the part or pitch in to help pay for the service as they might do that. You don’t know til you try.

My QX60 has been trouble free, but your situation along with the checkered past of Nissan CVTs gives me reason to trade mine before the warranty expires in October 2024.

As decent of a platform as these vehicles are, the CVT on the 2017+ is the least of their potential issues IMO. Excessive timing chain wear, noise and eventual failure seems to be happening at or before 100K miles on the VQ35DD, regardless of the 100s of sludged to death 35DD reports that are out there now.

Transfer case problems will happen if you were not diligent on gear oil changes on them. The part alone is $3K.

Obviously the electro-magnetic rear coupler can be a problem. Another $3K part. I'm assuming it's sealed bearing wear that take them out. These units are held together with snap rings. I'm sure they can be taken apart and parts sourced if you are savvy enough. I know Eric O from South Main Auto did just this on a Hyundai/Kia rear coupler of the same design some years ago.

The HVAC system is over complicated on the R52 platform, with 3 rows of blowers and computerized controls. I've seen many reports of dealer attempted parts cannon non-fixes.

Rear sub frame rot is still a thing with these if you don't oil spray treat them in the rust belt.

They are a super comfortable vehicle. They drive and handle well. They're large and can tow 6000lbs which draws a lot of buyers in. Oddly, I don't know of a single CVT failure report with one being basically maxed out towing something and lot of owners do just that with them.

I'm adding this story to my long list of reasons to never own a 4WD vehicle.

See if there is an online video on how to repair your existing part.
The reality is so many variants of AWD work trouble free if owners do one required fluid change I the ownership. Infiniti = Nissan which is bottom tier quality.

No. Why don't you link it.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 4.34.10 PM.jpg

View attachment 214595
OP states were cracked after two years. Don't you think the Dealer/Tire Distributor bounced them back to Michelin?

I'll add some comments to the thread based on your points.

1. The rebuilt units on efay are all from China, they have prices from $400 USD to $600USD and I doubt they are worth the risk. I watched a Russian YT video of someone rebuilding the coupler for a Nissan X-Trail, same basic unit as mine but all I could see was the bearings inside the unit had failed and left a debris field within. The guy replaced the bearings and put it back together, as to how it worked was not something I could determine. Needed a press to take apart and also for assembly. I have no idea if internal parts are available? where would you get the dimensions & tolerances to see if the old pieces are good or bad?
2. I bought the QX60 used from a local Dodge dealer, so its only repair outside of the basic warranty was the BCM replacement $1400 CAD. So far. Yes we purchased my wifes 2021 Rogue from this dealer in October 2023 and I did pay extra to extend the powertrain warranty.
3. The rear differential is made by Magna, but the electronic coupler doesn't show any manufacturer markings from what I can see.
4. The Infiniti AWD system is packaged differently that the Pathfinder, in my car there is Snow, Sport, Standard, ECO for drive modes selected by a rotating dial on centre console. I use standard mode 90% and Sport 10% I never bother with snow or eco, because these are like having your mother sitting on your shoulder as you drive - Blech!
5. I fully get why the dealer told me what my situation would be if I sought some cost assistance from Infiniti. I take some comfort that what I have saved $$ by avoiding the dealer has equalled what they might have offered $$ if I was actually a loyal customer. I don't expect more than I am entitled to receive. Fair is fair.

Lastly, thanks for your ideas & empathy.
Ken

OP states were cracked after two years. Don't you think the Dealer/Tire Distributor bounced them back to Michelin?

Of course they did because I wasn't getting a discount for my trouble if I bought another brand. They weren't OEM tires.

That wasnt the point I was trying to make.

I was agreeing with your statement about loyalty buying help, and pointing out that going back to the dealer for tires is one of those loyalty plays.

Last edited:
Wife exclusivey serviced her 2018 Tiguan at VW dealer bought there. At 131k the ignition wiring harness failed (125k extended warranty program) and they ended up charging $900 initially and I beat them up a little for all trying to get 50% off however ended up $700. Friend stated a 2 hr fix and $90 fix which aligns with time drop off and call back it done despite 4 hr book rate.

Now we just visit a friend for service who just performed a $1600 160k service at dealer for $675. He did the $1600 dealer brake job for $800 using FCP auto parts.

Glad the dealer did not come thru in my case .

ABSOLUTE BS!

I had a failure of SCR on the BMW X5 35d, 23,000 miles outside warranty. All work done DIY. I went to a local BMW, and they suspected NOx sensors, changed them and on the road, CEL. Went back. They opened a PUMA case (engineers from Germany to assist), and the conclusion is catalytic convertor. $1600+NOx. Those are first gen SCR systems, problematic on all brands. Anyway, I come there, they lowered to $1200, plus all other parts and labor on them. These SCR systems bcs. were problematic, BMW decided to help customers meet them, I guess half way. Only thing they asked me is which oil I used, I told them BMW LL04 approved, they said: OK, that works

ABSOLUTE BS!

I had a failure of SCR on the BMW X5 35d, 23,000 miles outside warranty. All work done DIY. I went to a local BMW, and they suspected NOx sensors, changed them and on the road, CEL. Went back. They opened a PUMA case (engineers from Germany to assist), and the conclusion is catalytic convertor. $1600+NOx. Those are first gen SCR systems, problematic on all brands. Anyway, I come there, they lowered to $1200, plus all other parts and labor on them. These SCR systems bcs. were problematic, BMW decided to help customers meet them, I guess half way. Only thing they asked me is which oil I used, I told them BMW LL04 approved, they said: OK, that works.
Shouldn't that have been covered under the emissions warranty?

Find a dealer doing online parts sales and buy a new coupling, swap it out yourself. Looks pretty straightforward. Going to Infiniti corporate will probably result in a larger headache, and they're not just going to sell you the part but want you to pay for labor. A lot of aggravation and will probably end up costing even more than DIY.

I recommend calling corporate customer care and at least open a case. Most likely they will do nothing, but sometimes you get lucky and they will cover all or some of the repair. Worth a try.

Back