Hyundai Engine warranty approved, but...

FaulknerInvoice (1)_Page_1.jpg
FaulknerInvoice (1)_Page_2.jpg
FaulknerInvoice (1)_Page_3.jpg

They are replacing the engine, they have to reconnect the hoses anyway, have hoses replaced but labor should be on dealer. Are they gonna transfer belt from old to new engine, not new belt?

They are replacing the engine, they have to reconnect the hoses anyway, have hoses replaced but labor should be on dealer. Are they gonna transfer belt from old to new engine, not new belt?
As has been stated, that isn't how it works like logical or not. They will use it as an opportunity to pad a warranty ticket. Any dealer would do this. Indy shops maybe not.

So, I went there today to ask about a list of items of the "discounted kit for $499.99". Guess what! There's no kit. Stealership says "there's no list. It's not a kit with a part #. We'll let you know what we ordered when we order the parts". i asked if any labor is included in the $499. No one could tell me. they're selling me something at a price, but they can't tell me what they're selling me.
So, just as I had suspected, they're ripping ppl off!
Also, I asked to see report from the fidings of the $190 diagnostic procedure. The guy said "something was scored on the cylinder walls or something". Won't show me a report. I next asked if timing chain/guides are included with the short block. The guy said "yeah, you're getting a whole new engine, not short block". Yeah, OK. We'll see.

i guess once they show me a list of items I'll pick and choose from that. I'll pick the ones that would be difficult to access and I won't be able change myself.
Btw, word on the street is that the new engine components aren't much better that the ones that have failed. Hyundai used "improved" piston coating to prevent this exact problen on their '14 and up Nu1.8/2.0 engines, buth there are reports of those developing piston sap as well, so that's that...

The purpose of this post was not only to get opinions, but also to show how well Hyondai is handling the case, and how bad the stealerships are. The car has been trouble free untill now. Back then, I chose it over a Civic or a Corola because of the warranty. Unlike some, I'm not surprised that it was honored. And Don't think I got lucky. They choose not to fight it because they knew they would loose in court. And they knew I was ready to take it that far.

Last edited:
Hi folks, need some help here.

I've got a '13 Elantra (Nu 1.8 MPI engine) meticulously maintained by me (original owner). Has had piston slap on cold starts for the last couple of years. Took it in a month ago, on the last day of powertrain warranty. Dealer said it will cost me US $190 to diagnose the problem. I said OK. Piston slap confirmed by dealership. Car still there. Hyundai asked for service documents. I said no, this is manufacturing defect and no service could have prevented it. Dealer pulled valve cover off, sent pics to Hyundai, warranty approved for short block.
I got a call from the dealer yesterday saying, "Hyundai suggests new heater core hoses, radiator hoses, serpentine belt kit, discounted at $499.99". Has anyone heard of this before? Is there such kit? It makes sense to replace those, but I'm little suspicious about their "discounted price" of the "kit". I mean, $500 for 4-5 hoses and a belt? I feel like the dealer is trying to rip me off. Also, since it was found that the there's a problem that's covered under warranty, should I ask that Hyundai pays for the $190 dealer diagnostic fee?

btw, Hyundai offered to pay for a rental, but I don't won't take them up on that.

Thx for any comments.
I had a 2013 Elantra GT 1.8 that destroyed itself at 14,000 miles, same issue. I demanded a long block as the whole motor had piston skirt galling debris in it and there is no way they can clean that out of the head oil pathways to stop it from destroying your new motor. This debris gathers in the oil pathways and hydraulic lifts and wrecks the lifters. No way I would except just a short block. I lucked out as the service manager at my dealership knew I was right and approved it the next day after calling Hyundai. Many people have had a 3rd motor because of this reason. Demand a long block. My short block and head came separately and not as a unit. No big deal, as the Hyundai mechanics are experts and pulling and installing engines after 12 years of multi engine model design issues. Don't pay for the engine diagnosis fee, as there is zero need to diagnose here. It has nothing to do with you and 100%, a them problem, It's called "a warranty" that means you don't pay. Trying to get you to pay for a diagnosis is a typical Hyundai/Kia slight of hand game with them. In 2017, when this happened to me, my dealership had 55 cars needing new motors just waiting for engines.

Also they tried to get out of doing it as warranty saying I had an aftermarket filter on it, a Fram Ultra. I said BS, I have a leagal right to have any name brand filter on this car as long as it is the one designed for the car,IE the correct filter #. The Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act says I have that right. Nothing was said again after I said that.

Last edited:
Labor time on a warranty short block exchange is 9.6-9.8 hours
If you're getting a long block, I'd assume even less book labor time
Currently they pay 5.4-7.4 hours on Theta II short blocks in a Sonata/Optima
I'm not defending their behavior, but there's more than meets the customers eye
It's business and ethical dilemmas like this that make me glad I stayed out of the business as a career

If they're gonna pay a rental, take the rental
Why is a Hyundai at a Subaru dealership?
And is your third party warranty contract paying, or is Hyundai paying under the 10y120k extended warranty from the lawsuit settlement?

I had a 2013 Elantra GT 1.8 that destroyed itself at 14,000 miles, same issue. I demanded a long block as the whole motor had piston skirt galling debris in it and there is no way they can clean that out of the head oil pathways to stop it from destroying your new motor. This debris gathers in the oil pathways and hydraulic lifts and wrecks the lifters. No way I would except just a short block. I lucked out as the service manager at my dealership knew I was right and approved it the next day after calling Hyundai. Many people have had a 3rd motor because of this reason. Demand a long block. My short block and head came separately and not as a unit. No big deal, as the Hyundai mechanics are experts and pulling and installing engines after 12 years of multi engine model design issues. Don't pay for the engine diagnosis fee, as there is zero need to diagnose here. It has nothing to do with you and 100%, a them problem, It's called "a warranty" that means you don't pay. Trying to get you to pay for a diagnosis is a typical Hyundai/Kia slight of hand game with them. In 2017, when this happened to me, my dealership had 55 cars needing new motors just waiting for engines.

Also they tried to get out of doing it as warranty saying I had an aftermarket filter on it, a Fram Ultra. I said BS, I have a leagal right to have any name brand filter on this car as long as it is the one designed for the car,IE the correct filter #. The Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act says I have that right. Nothing was said again after I said that.
Conversely-My Son had his motor blow and limped in to the dealership and they replaced the motor with no questions asked and put him in to a nice rental for two weeks.
Unfortunately-there are more Hyundai dealers that are pond scum than those that are not. Witness Hyundai Corporate who just announced a few days ago Genesis dealerships would be stand alone because of consumer complaints about the Hyundai dealers selling and servicing the Genesis line. Those who want to sell Genesis will have to have a separate dealership.

It's business and ethical dilemmas like this that make me glad I stayed out of the business as a career

And is your third party warranty contract paying, or is Hyundai paying under the 10y120k extended warranty from the lawsuit settlement?

The Subaru invoice was for another member's Subaru that had a blown engine.

The gall to even suggest denying warranty on a 14k mile engine due to a Fram Ultra is incredulous.

That was me not him, just showing my old invoice as an example as to how they itemize things that are wearable parts like belts & hoses.

Yes I was stuck with $1800 out of that bill because the extended warranty will not cover "wear" items and the dealership wouldn't provide a free loaner even though they got $10k worth of work.
And that's why ext. warranties often aren't as great as they seem...many things aren't covered that folks assume are. Loaners are rarely guaranteed.

The gall to even suggest denying warranty on a 14k mile engine due to a Fram Ultra is incredulous.
They must have read something about FRAM OCOD on BITOG prior to the Ultra becoming a darling here :)

Then there was that supposed memo ages ago to not use aftermarket filters - which was likely against federal law in the US.
I wonder if that was ever sent to customers as a O.M. insert. disclaimer: I do not know of the validity of such memo.

Back