Hyundai Engine warranty approved, but...

I think its a little added dealer profit. But if you're not keeping the car forever you might just skip it.
If you are going to keep it for a long time I might ask them to replace a few more parts that they see that they see often fail, to make them happy doing the job and for you to have less problems in the future.
In theory the big advantage of dealer service is that they should know these cars inside out, and should be a knowledge resource, but not all of them run this way.

Yes, they will try to stack the labor instead of just charging for any additional labor.

Doesn't make it right.
The low labor rates are something the dealership signed up for when they became a franchised dealer. If you want to sell cars, you agree to the warranty labor rates.
Right now, I don't feel too sorry for dealerships that are suffering. It's largely a problem they've created.
Yes, it sucks to get paid less due to a manufacturer defect.

Sucks even more for the consumer.
Of course it doesn't make it right, but it "is". Certainly can refuse the additional service or try to negotiate it down but understranding how the dealer's service department makes money is critical to understanding issues like this and the "why" part. I also agree that dealers are their own worst enemy...the franchise dealer model is doomed and will be gone here soon.

It's $499, and my math at $170 for parts is probably really conservative so lets say half that is labor. It seems reasonable but I'd ask for a list of the parts replaced anyway.

Asking because I don't know, is that $170 in Genuine Hyundai parts? or $170 it should cost if we were to go to our preferred auto supply?

Hi folks, need some help here.

I've got a '13 Elantra (Nu 1.8 MPI engine) meticulously maintained by me (original owner). Has had piston slap on cold starts for the last couple of years. Took it in a month ago, on the last day of powertrain warranty. Dealer said it will cost me US $190 to diagnose the problem. I said OK. Piston slap confirmed by dealership. Car still there. Hyundai asked for service documents. I said no, this is manufacturing defect and no service could have prevented it. Dealer pulled valve cover off, sent pics to Hyundai, warranty approved for short block.
I got a call from the dealer yesterday saying, "Hyundai suggests new heater core hoses, radiator hoses, serpentine belt kit, discounted at $499.99". Has anyone heard of this before? Is there such kit? It makes sense to replace those, but I'm little suspicious about their "discounted price" of the "kit". I mean, $500 for 4-5 hoses and a belt? I feel like the dealer is trying to rip me off. Also, since it was found that the there's a problem that's covered under warranty, should I ask that Hyundai pays for the $190 dealer diagnostic fee?

btw, Hyundai offered to pay for a rental, but I don't won't take them up on that.

Thx for any comments.
My Son had a rental for two weeks while Hyundai replaced a motor in his Sonata. It was a nice Impala. Cost him $0.

One thing I've thought of, if the kit includes a serp belt tensioner, it's not as bad.
Just need the details of what's included in the kit...

1683557761435.jpg

This is from a post on one of the hyundai forum I frequently visit.
According to a tech on one of the Hyundai forum, they will charge you labor on belt instalation when engine is out, but you can choose to use new belt or not.

Years ago I owned a 1985 BMW 325e. the "e" stands for "eta," the Greek letter meaning efficiency. This engine was unusual as it's rev limiter kicked in at 4750rpm, had relatively low compression and soft valve springs. The car was out of warranty and I took to a recommend shop that worked on bimmers in San Diego. The tech said that he couldn't properly adjust a couple of valves as the cam appears to be worn. The car had about 40k miles on the clock. I was the original owner and changed the oil+filter every ~4k miles. The oil was always Castrol 20W50 and filter was always from the dealer. The car was never raced or tracked. Hey, it was an eta!!! Took the car and my maintenance records to the SA at the San Diego BMW dealer. BMW NA ponied up for the cam and some other necessary work on the valve train. I had to pay for a new cam belt even though the belt had been changed at 40k miles.

Yes, if they were JUST doing the belts and hoses, I'd be with you. An hour or two of labor.

But much of that labor is already included in the engine swap.
I could see as much as an added hour to replace instead of just disconnecting the heater hoses and radiator hoses at the engine. The serpentine belt is needed anyway and should be part of the engine swap labor.
More information is needed to understand what is provided for $500
If the OP will be DIYing the items later, then it makes no financial sense to pay the $500. But if he has to pay out of pocket for those items at a later date, then $500 is a deal.

With that said, the $500 probably includes an extra hour or 1.5 for the tech, so it makes the ticket a bit sweeter. Will you get a better job on the engine swap as a result? Maybe...

Free small block and labor.... the extras they want to charge, cost nothing compared to the removal of the engine, disassembly the engine, install head and ancillary components on the new short block (which costs $4800), reinstall engine.

If the dealership was ripping you off, they could have said Hyundai corporate denied the warranty claim, and tell you to pay the entire bill.

I've got a '13 Elantra (Nu 1.8 MPI engine) meticulously maintained by me (original owner). Has had piston slap on cold starts for the last couple of years. Took it in a month ago, on the last day of powertrain warranty. Dealer said it will cost me US $190 to diagnose the problem. I said OK. Piston slap confirmed by dealership. Car still there. Hyundai asked for service documents. I said no, this is manufacturing defect and no service could have prevented it. Dealer pulled valve cover off, sent pics to Hyundai, warranty approved for short block.
I got a call from the dealer yesterday saying, "Hyundai suggests new heater core hoses, radiator hoses, serpentine belt kit, discounted at $499.99". Has anyone heard of this before? Is there such kit? It makes sense to replace those, but I'm little suspicious about their "discounted price" of the "kit". I mean, $500 for 4-5 hoses and a belt? I feel like the dealer is trying to rip me off. Also, since it was found that the there's a problem that's covered under warranty, should I ask that Hyundai pays for the $190 dealer diagnostic fee?

btw, Hyundai offered to pay for a rental, but I don't won't take them up on that.

Thx for any comments.

I bought a 2013 Elantra GT 6-speed manual hatchback new. I changed the oil every 5k, and look good care of the car. As my family grew, I was forced to sell it. It always had a horrendous piston slap on cold starts. The dealer recognized the issue but at the time there wasn't a TSB or anything to rectify it. I sold it and bought a minivan. The slap ALWAYS bothered me!

Wow the dealer is offering you a new small block, installed and a rental for under $1000.00.
You've just hit the f ing jack pot considering it would cost you much more just to
install the Xtras (hoses, etc) you are questioning on a 10 year old car.
What am I missing here?
Hand him your keys. Drive home in a nicer car. Come back and drive home in a 10 year old
car with a, basically, new engine.
You should consult your Husband to be sure.

^^^^
What you're missing is that the car was under factory warranty. This is the USA, and they have to honor it. Hyundai set the powertrain warranty at 10 years, not me! The dealer isn't offering me jack. Hyundai approved the warranty work. The dealer has to do it. At a loss, I guess. I don't feel sorry for them. Was the "husband" comment meant to insult me? I'm a heterosexual male. Thx

Here's how the initial dealer visit on 4/10/23 went:

Me: I got a '13 Elantra that I think has a piston slap.
Joe: You got engine noise.
Me: Sure. Under powertrain warranty. I'm at 97k miles, purchased 4/10/13.
Joe: let me see you registration. Your warranty expired today.
Me: No, it will expire after midnight. It's noon, you're open until 6PM. I'm here to report a problem while still under warranty.
Joe: OK, you can drop it off. It'll be $190 to diagnose it and it'll be couple weeks before we can look at it, probably another couple after that to submit a claim and get an answer from Hyundai. They might ask for Service records, and I don't see any in the system. And if your warranty is approved, it'll be another couple months for the new engine to arrive. I've got 40 Elantras waiting for new engines under warranty.
Me: And they all had service records?
Joe: Yes.
Me: But their engines failed anyway. So, what do you need service records for?
Joe: I don't know. Hyundai asks for them sometimes.
Me: OK, I got them, let me know if they need them. But just so you know, I'm not a mechanic, but I know that piston slap is caused by a manufacturing defect and/or a design flaw. And no amount of service or maintenance can prevent it from happening.
Joe: OK, Hyundai has the final say.
Me: Nope. The courts do.

The $500 for the "kit" is for parts that they have to remove and re-install anyway. So, based on advise I got here, I will ask for detailed breakdown of the parts of the "kit" and will decide based of that.

I won't take their free rental offer cuz I have a second car and don't need a rental.

The short block includes timing chain and guides, basically everything except the head, camshaft, valves, etc. But I'll ask about that as well to be sure. It's frustrating to know that the engine I meticulously cared for failed so early. Heck, even the original battery outlasted it! I'm on the second set of tires, second set of brakes....

Reactions: pbm
^^^^
What you're missing is that the car was under factory warranty. This is the USA, and they have to honor it. Hyundai set the powertrain warranty at 10 years, not me! The dealer isn't offering me jack. Hyundai approved the warranty work. The dealer has to do it. At a loss, I guess. I don't feel sorry for them. Was the "husband" comment meant to insult me? I'm a heterosexual male. Thx

Here's how the initial dealer visit on 4/10/23 went:

Me: I got a '13 Elantra that I think has a piston slap.
Joe: You got engine noise.
Me: Sure. Under powertrain warranty. I'm at 97k miles, purchased 4/10/13.
Joe: let me see you registration. Your warranty expired today.
Me: No, it will expire after midnight. It's noon, you're open until 6PM. I'm here to report a problem while still under warranty.
Joe: OK, you can drop it off. It'll be $190 to diagnose it and it'll be couple weeks before we can look at it, probably another couple after that to submit a claim and get an answer from Hyundai. They might ask for Service records, and I don't see any in the system. And if your warranty is approved, it'll be another couple months for the new engine to arrive. I've got 40 Elantras waiting for new engines under warranty.
Me: And they all had service records?
Joe: Yes.
Me: But their engines failed anyway. So, what do you need service records for?
Joe: I don't know. Hyundai asks for them sometimes.
Me: OK, I got them, let me know if they need them. But just so you know, I'm not a mechanic, but I know that piston slap is caused by a manufacturing defect and/or a design flaw. And no amount of service or maintenance can prevent it from happening.
Joe: OK, Hyundai has the final say.
Me: Nope. The courts do.

The $500 for the "kit" is for parts that they have to remove and re-install anyway. So, based on advise I got here, I will ask for detailed breakdown of the parts of the "kit" and will decide based of that.

I won't take their free rental offer cuz I have a second car and don't need a rental.

The short block includes timing chain and guides, basically everything except the head, camshaft, valves, etc. But I'll ask about that as well to be sure. It's frustrating to know that the engine I meticulously cared for failed so early. Heck, even the original battery outlasted it! I'm on the second set of tires, second set of brakes....
Just the one dealer has FORTY Elantras alone needing a replacement engine?!? Funny how we hear/read about a lemon now and then... seems as if Hyun/Kia has the entire orchard covered! One would think that after years of failures and no telling how much $ is thrown away they would definitely have some sort of permanent fix to the issue. Maybe they should go all electric as they clearly haven't figured out the ICE yet.

Asking because I don't know, is that $170 in Genuine Hyundai parts? or $170 it should cost if we were to go to our preferred auto supply?
I went with Rockauto picking the best part from a quality mfg. I'd say closer to $250 maybe even $300 with dealer parts and markup.

I got a call from the dealer yesterday saying, "Hyundai suggests new heater core hoses, radiator hoses, serpentine belt kit, discounted at $499.99". Has anyone heard of this before? Is there such kit? It makes sense to replace those, but I'm little suspicious about their "discounted price" of the "kit".

Thx for any comments.
When were the belts and hoses last serviced? If within that last two years on belts you are fine, maybe five on the hoses.

Labour should be a minimal add of 0.5 - 1.0 hours since those parts are required to be removed for the short block.
I dont see a timing system coming with the SB. But maybe it's in a standardised kit, Surprised it's not a long block. Guess kia has too many dead engines and are bleeding cash.

More importantly, If it's a keeper, I would want to check the head: check valves, replace rubber seals, guide clearance, and resurface head. Maybe even look for excessive cam wear and and follower health.

You are VERY fortunate corporate approved the engine at the last hour. with minimal dealer service history and vehicel at end of service life. Usually this would be a "We'll help you with some of the cost" and only after a few days of negotiation with the zone rep that might be 1/2 a very inflated invoice.

I wouldn't get too cocky with them. You just got a GIFT.

Good luck and hope she runs well.
- Ken

When I had the Forester engine replaced under warranty they itemized EVERY item that was a "wearable" part not 100% associated with the long block. Hold on I'll find the original invoice.

Back