Oil changes for warranty

I purchased a 2022 CPO Acura MDX Type S back in July and a CPO car comes with a 100,000 mile power train warranty. I asked service about doing my own oil changes and how that would effect warranty in case I ever need to use it. They simply said that as long as I have documentation of it being done or that I purchase oil and filter that I should be fine. That’s great but it got me thinking of I buy oil and filters on sale or in bulk when I find it then that leads to other documentation issues. I took the Acura in for it one free oil change and of course left disappointed in the sloppy work. I had oil everywhere! I got home and smelled the oil. It was all over all the shields under the car, the exhaust, even spots on the lift gate from driving. Smear marks all across the top of the front bumper and the door.

A- bring my own supplies to the dealer and pay them the labor so that everything is in their system.

B- just do it myself and hope I don’t need warranty or get questioned

C- bring my own supplies to Indy mechanic and at least I’d have a paper trail.

Last edited:
I take 3 photos with my smartphone. Odometer/OLM display, picture of new oil and filter in front of licence plate, picture of full oil drain pan & used filter. With Metadata, that should suffice.
But that doesn't prove that the oil / oil filter was changed in that vehicle at that time with that oil / oil filter. Common sense should / would be enough. BUT. Engine takes a dump. "In a bad mood" district rep, nope, we didn't change it NO warranty. Because you know they are out there waiting for you.

I should be fine
These four words are vague and scary! ^ :unsure: ^ We took advantage of the Lexus CPO perks on my wife’s car. Free oil changes, concierge pick up and delivery, free detail with each service, free Starbucks coffee in the customer lounge, etc. If you had a bad experience with service, speak to the management…..it won’t happen again!

But that doesn't prove that the oil / oil filter was changed in that vehicle at that time with that oil / oil filter. Common sense should / would be enough. BUT. Engine takes a dump. "In a bad mood" district rep, nope, we didn't change it NO warranty. Because you know they are out there waiting for you.
I’d think that would be more proof than a store receipt. I could buy oil and filter and never change my oil vs a time stamped picture of my license plate and used oil.

These four words are vague and scary! ^ :unsure: ^ We took advantage of the Lexus CPO perks on my wife’s car. Free oil changes, concierge pick up and delivery, free detail with each service, free Starbucks coffee in the customer lounge, etc. If you had a bad experience with service, speak to the management…..it won’t happen again!
This ain’t the first bad experience with these knuckle heads…….

I purchased a 2022 CPO Acura MDX Type S back in July and a CPO car comes with a 100,000 mile power train warranty. I asked service about doing my own oil changes and how that would effect warranty in case I ever need to use it. They simply said that as long as I have documentation of it being done or that I purchase oil and filter that I should be fine. That’s great but it got me thinking of I buy oil and filters on sale or in bulk when I find it then that leads to other documentation issues. I took the Acura in for it one free oil change and of course left disappointed in the sloppy work. I had oil everywhere! I got home and smelled the oil. It was all over all the shields under the car, the exhaust, even spots on the lift gate from driving. Smear marks all across the top of the front bumper and the door.

A- bring my own supplies to the dealer and pay them the labor so that everything is in their system.

B- just do it myself and hope I don’t need warranty or get questioned

C- bring my own supplies to Indy mechanic and at least I’d have a paper trail.

I buy oil in bulk when I find it on sale for all of my in-warranty vehicles. When I perform the oil change I document the oil used, and of course I have the receipt(s) as verification. I don't think it's necessary to make a single oil and filter purchase for each oil change.

Last edited:
I’d think that would be more proof than a store receipt. I could buy oil and filter and never change my oil vs a time stamped picture of my license plate and used oil.
If he had store receipts and they pulled the covers and the motor was clean he would be covered. The only 100% way to prove it (otherwise) is to have the dealer perform the maintenance. He would obviously have numerous receipts over the course of ownership-doing it himself.

So you bought a bunch of bulk oil to do your own oil changes (presumably to save money.) But now you’re afraid to do it and are willing to pay extra to have someone do it for you, thereby nullifying the entire purpose of bulk savings and DIY… Why don’t you just sell off all the oil and pay someone to do all of it. It would spare yourself a lot of mental gymnastics future.

So you bought a bunch of bulk oil to do your own oil changes (presumably to save money.) But now you’re afraid to do it and are willing to pay extra to have someone do it for you, thereby nullifying the entire purpose of bulk savings and DIY… Why don’t you just sell off all the oil and pay someone to do all of it. It would spare yourself a lot of mental gymnastics future.
You have completely missed the point of this. Nothing to do with saving money. HPL is quite a bit more pricey than picking oil out of the clearance isle. If you have any real input on the best way to keep warranty intact and do diy oil changes then I’d love it hear it.

You have completely missed the point of this. Nothing to do with saving money. HPL is quite a bit more pricey than picking oil out of the clearance isle. If you have any real input on the best way to keep warranty intact and do diy oil changes then I’d love it hear it.
The cut and dry version is, run the dealer oil change till you are out of powertrain warranty. If you like HPL oil then, you can ask if the dealer service can be performed with your oil and their filter. The notes would reflect such.

The long version is document everything, heck record the oil change, and place it in a safe. Yes MM act exists, but there exists a long line of difficult folks who salivate to deny a claim regardless.?

The BITOG version would be, is the oil too thick or thin?

They have the ball in their court with the warranty. They will be hard pressed to pass the buck if you have receipts and odometer pics. That’s the route I am going. I’ve never heard of anyone on here with proper documentation being burned on a factory warranty for doing your own oil changes as long as the specified intervals were observed.

Third party aftermarket warranties are another topic.

I'd advise reading the terms of the CPO warranty carefully, it may not follow conventional new car warranty wisdom.

I'm not very familar with HPL, but based on what I see I would be more worried about it lacking API approval (officially) than documenting oil changes or bulk purchases. Please note, i'm not saying anything bad about them.

Also in my experience with Honda/Acura owners manuals, there's a good bit of ambiguity in them...

Back