Oil changes for warranty

You have completely missed the point of this. Nothing to do with saving money. HPL is quite a bit more pricey than picking oil out of the clearance isle. If you have any real input on the best way to keep warranty intact and do diy oil changes then I’d love it hear it.
Then why’d you buy a bunch of it wasn’t at a discount? Just to have it? Anyways, keep a record and take pictures then hope they aren’t shady. At the end of the day the only certain option would be just to have the dealer do it all.. but even then…

Then why’d you buy a bunch of it wasn’t at a discount? Just to have it? Anyways, keep a record and take pictures then hope they aren’t shady. At the end of the day the only certain option would be just to have the dealer do it all.. but even then…
It isn’t about the dealer being shady. A lot of manufacturers require high $$ powertrain repairs to be reviewed by their field engineering/tech line team before parts can be ordered. If those folks want to see confirmation of service history, it can be out of the dealer’s hands.

I just keep the store receipts from my oil and filter purchases and keep a paper log where I write down the date, mileage, and what services were performed. I put those in a folder with any other receipts for things like tire and battery purchases. I've yet to ever be asked to present this documentation to get a warranty repair completed.

It's sad we have to look at oil changes this way but the manufacturer does want documentation. I know it costs more per change but I just pay for the oil change during the warranty period. I've had cars where I wanted the change more than the recommended interval of the manufacturer and I'll do a change in between the dealer changes. I do buy my oil in larger quantities when it's outside of warranty though.

I did technically void my powertrain warranty a hint early going Stage 1 on the GTI, so I don't bother anymore. All service will be done by me from now on. I've done a couple of changes myself but at least at the 10k mark each time I had the dealer do the service. Doesn't seem to matter now. I never had drivetrain issues, my only problem was a heater core and the powertrain wouldn't have come into play anyway.

It isn’t about the dealer being shady. A lot of manufacturers require high $$ powertrain repairs to be reviewed by their field engineering/tech line team before parts can be ordered. If those folks want to see confirmation of service history, it can be out of the dealer’s hands.
Well, I will have to take your word for it. I have never had to replace an engine. I have had a transmission replaced under warranty though. It wasn’t really a problem. I showed my maintenance receipts, the fluid was clean, and at the proper level - there wasn’t much to refute. A remanufactured one was installed without much griping.

Had a dealership tell me I had no PM on a potential trade - showed him all the photos and that nonsense went away …
Had a similar situation, I had a trade-in with over 200,000 miles that I didn’t have the receipts on. After a while I just stopped keeping them because I figured the car wasn’t gonna be worth anything anyways. When I traded it in, the maintenance history was questioned. All I said was “it wouldn’t have gotten to 200,000 miles in the shape that it is in if I wasn’t taking care of it.” No more questions after that as the results spoke for themselves.

I purchased a 2022 CPO Acura MDX Type S back in July and a CPO car comes with a 100,000 mile power train warranty. I asked service about doing my own oil changes and how that would effect warranty in case I ever need to use it. They simply said that as long as I have documentation of it being done or that I purchase oil and filter that I should be fine. That’s great but it got me thinking of I buy oil and filters on sale or in bulk when I find it then that leads to other documentation issues. I took the Acura in for it one free oil change and of course left disappointed in the sloppy work. I had oil everywhere! I got home and smelled the oil. It was all over all the shields under the car, the exhaust, even spots on the lift gate from driving. Smear marks all across the top of the front bumper and the door.

A- bring my own supplies to the dealer and pay them the labor so that everything is in their system.

B- just do it myself and hope I don’t need warranty or get questioned

C- bring my own supplies to Indy mechanic and at least I’d have a paper trail.
Don't worry about it. In the highly unlikely event of a lubricant related failure (Unless it's a Kia/Hyundai) dealerships are only going to measure the volume of oil and determine whether or not the oil has is sludge up. Oil receipts is nice for times when oil has escaped the motor (ex, window the block or oil pan) but I'd be surprised if there was a written requirement that you must document oil changes.

In the 1980's I owned a BMW 325e. I was stationed in a ship home ported in San Diego. I'd come back from deployment and had the car at a local bimmer shop to change the coolant and adjust the valves. When I picked up the car the tech noted that he had been unable to properly adjust 2 valves. I went to the dealer (BMW of SD) and explained the situation. I provided my log book of oil (Castro 20W50) and filter (BMW) changes along with my receipts. Turned out the cam was bad the BMW NA replaced it.

I keep detailed records. Not for warranty fears but because, that’s what I do. If I did have a warranty claim and I brought records this detailed, I’d hope they wouldn’t have an issue.

IMG_0859.jpeg
IMG_0860.jpeg
IMG_0861.jpeg
IMG_0862.jpeg
IMG_0863.jpeg

I purchased a 2022 CPO Acura MDX Type S back in July and a CPO car comes with a 100,000 mile power train warranty. I asked service about doing my own oil changes and how that would effect warranty in case I ever need to use it. They simply said that as long as I have documentation of it being done or that I purchase oil and filter that I should be fine. That’s great but it got me thinking of I buy oil and filters on sale or in bulk when I find it then that leads to other documentation issues. I took the Acura in for it one free oil change and of course left disappointed in the sloppy work. I had oil everywhere! I got home and smelled the oil. It was all over all the shields under the car, the exhaust, even spots on the lift gate from driving. Smear marks all across the top of the front bumper and the door.

B- just do it myself and hope I don’t need warranty or get questioned

No paranoia required, just a storage tub and a lid. I keep all of my used oil filters during warranty. Doesn't take up much space. Log the OCI into the Owner's Manual, sign and date each entry and make notations on oil receipts also, including date and mileage. Ken.

I'm not going to run dealer bulk oil for 60K miles.

If there were ever an engine issue, they can test the oil that is in the motor.

Back