Purchased Ford's Extended Service Protection for the 2019 F350 6.7L diesel

I enjoyed this vid. A single wire at rear bumper shut down A LOT of things like volume control, front power windows and more

Great video, thanks for posting. Long watch, but well worth it. Video is actually a great "basic trainer" on later model vehicle networks.

Can't wait to watch the connector splice follow on video.

Did you get the truck all complete everything matching etc?
Yes, but I still would like to get a replacement hood and doors, but these are cosmetic things. In preparation for the inspection, had a modem error. Didn't know the truck had one. The modem was unplugged and the antennas cut. I plugged in the modem, patched the antenna wiring, and now the truck can do factory remote start, times start, lock, unlock from anywhere in the world, send obd issues to my phone, tell me the miles, fuel left. Kind of neat.

Yes, but I still would like to get a replacement hood and doors, but these are cosmetic things. In preparation for the inspection, had a modem error. Didn't know the truck had one. The modem was unplugged and the antennas cut. I plugged in the modem, patched the antenna wiring, and now the truck can do factory remote start, times start, lock, unlock from anywhere in the world, send obd issues to my phone, tell me the miles, fuel left. Kind of neat.
Sounds like there was a previous owner worried about the connected tech.

Two comments in that. (1)I change the fuel filter, water separator, and add diesel lube, so I am proactive to mitigate some of the risk. (2) water in the fuel and the damage caused may be covered by vehicle insurance under comprehensive.

Of note, fuel pump failure is reported to be about a $12k USD repair on this truck.

I wish you luck.

The biggest Ford fan boy I ever saw on an Internet forum, had his Bosch CP4.2 HPFP fail. There was zero signs of water contamination, but Ford still denied warranty coverage. A 12k repair later (owners car insurance picked up the tab, so we all get to pay higher premiums to cover the repair) and he got the truck back, and immediately sold it. The biggest Ford fan boy I've ever witnessed, no longer owns any Fords, after a lifetime of owning them.

Nice looking truck but just a warning about Ford warranties. I had a 2013 that required back to back $900-2800 repairs. I went in a third time for the same issue and they denied the work because “The total cost of the previous repairs exceeded the underwriting limits of the factory warranty so therefore, the vehicle is now considered to be out of warranty.” It was a one year old, $36K vehicle, and under the factory warranty. Don’t trust Ford.

Nice looking truck but just a warning about Ford warranties. I had a 2013 that required back to back $900-2800 repairs. I went in a third time for the same issue and they denied the work because “The total cost of the previous repairs exceeded the underwriting limits of the factory warranty so therefore, the vehicle is now considered to be out of warranty.” It was a one year old, $36K vehicle, and under the factory warranty. Don’t trust Ford.
You should have immediately initiated a buyback at that point.

No shame, even If that fuel pump failure is half as expensive as you say I too would get it for these diesel trucks, especially the light duty diesels which are real questionable to me.

You did the right thing. The peace of mind alone is worth the $4,200 bucks. Back in 2015 when we bought our new Jeep Grand Cherokee we purchased the Chrysler Lifetime Maxcare. Buying it with the new vehicle at the time of sale cost around $2,600 and change.

There is an unlimited time and mileage on this package. (It is no longer available). And it covers pretty much everything except routine maintenance. There is a $100.00 deductible on each repair you use it on.

It just went out of factory warranty when the A/C evaporator went out. I took it in to the dealer and the bill was over $1,450.00. All I paid was the $100.00 deductible.

The only way this warranty ends is if the repair exceeds the blue book value of the vehicle. So say the trans goes. Last I heard a new ZF 8 Speed Automatic is around $5K installed.

If the total vehicle value at that point was only $4K, they would cut a check to me for $4K, and that would be it. I can do as I please with the $4K, but at that point the Lifetime Maxcare would be cancelled on my vehicle. I think it was one of the smarter purchases I made. $2,600 is nothing for a lifetime of protection.

You did the right thing. The peace of mind alone is worth the $4,200 bucks. Back in 2015 when we bought our new Jeep Grand Cherokee we purchased the Chrysler Lifetime Maxcare. Buying it with the new vehicle at the time of sale cost around $2,600 and change.

There is an unlimited time and mileage on this package. (It is no longer available). And it covers pretty much everything except routine maintenance. There is a $100.00 deductible on each repair you use it on.

It just went out of factory warranty when the A/C evaporator went out. I took it in to the dealer and the bill was over $1,450.00. All I paid was the $100.00 deductible.

The only way this warranty ends is if the repair exceeds the blue book value of the vehicle. So say the trans goes. Last I heard a new ZF 8 Speed Automatic is around $5K installed.

If the total vehicle value at that point was only $4K, they would cut a check to me for $4K, and that would be it. I can do as I please with the $4K, but at that point the Lifetime Maxcare would be cancelled on my vehicle. I think it was one of the smarter purchases I made. $2,600 is nothing for a lifetime of protection.
That’s a great warranty period for folks like me who drive high miles.

Guessing you’ll recover break even soon with a nearly 10 year old vehicle as $1200 repair not hard to hit.

The truck is not a salvage truck, it has a clean title, just branded by Carfax because the insurance company didn't check the odometer when it went to auction.
Were they aware of that? Sometimes these title issues are not picked up until a later date, and ultimately void any/all warranties.

Edit:
If Ford's system ever picks up on the branded title, I can foresee them denying a claim due to the verbiage on page 4, section j:

"j) Repairs to the Vehicle if the odometer is altered, broken, repaired or replaced so that We cannot determine the actual mileage on the Vehicle;"

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but is Bosch junk? I keep hearing about Bosch diesel injection pumps destroying fuel systems… Bosch electric brake boosters failing on Chevy Bolts (no issues on mine though)… is there a systemic problem with Bosch components used by vehicle manufacturers?

More on topic, I think you did the right thing. I’m not a fan of extended warranty type stuff but on a modern diesel, you pretty much need it. It’s amazing how quiet and powerful these engines are compared to the old school stuff like the good ole 7.3 power stroke BUT parts and labor are astronomical for any repair or maintenance.

Slightly off topic but is Bosch junk? I keep hearing about Bosch diesel injection pumps destroying fuel systems… Bosch electric brake boosters failing on Chevy Bolts (no issues on mine though)… is there a systemic problem with Bosch components used by vehicle manufacturers?

More on topic, I think you did the right thing. I’m not a fan of extended warranty type stuff but on a modern diesel, you pretty much need it. It’s amazing how quiet and powerful these engines are compared to the old school stuff like the good ole 7.3 power stroke BUT parts and labor are astronomical for any repair or maintenance.
Bosch? They've always been considered a solid manufacturer from my understanding, but that doesn't mean they don't make some junk occasionally by accident. I don't think anyone said anything inherently bad about Takata until the airbag thing happened. It would probably be hard to own any car from the last 20-30 years that didn't have some Bosch part on it from the factory.

I've bought 2 extended warranties in my life, factory ones. The BMW I lost my shirt. It was a 7/100 (not even a 6/70--double upgrade), on a 2007 BMW 335i with the N54. I could not lose. I did, no claims, really hurt my feelings. My buddy said but shouldn't you feel happy your car didn't break down? You bought the warranty because you thought it would, you lost. No big deal. But that was $2,800, I negotiated it down.

Then I got one on my wife's GM--it was much cheaper, again bought over the phone from a dealer in MI. Had a $100 deductible. Had multiple claims. Again, my buddy used the logic, but you know yourself, you would never pay dealer retail repair prices, yet you're using them to justify your warranty. I know.

I guess as I get older and more mature, I tell myself, I cannot fix everything myself. It's ok to want to pay something for peace of mind. I really do think I will get one on the 2025 Tahoe High Country. 20 years ago I would not and simply be clinical and say pay out of pocket.

p.s. my brother had a V6 Raptor with an extended warranty and he got rid of it....was fed up with Ford service despite being covered...it was purchased used with the coverage from a dealer

Did you compare cost with Granger Ford online warranty sales? On my Escape Lombard is $1799 and Granger is $1390 both for Premiumcare 10 yrs / 60,000 miles and $100 deductible. I did get an email from Lombard with $185 discount coupon but that still puts them at $1614 vs. $1390.

Last edited:
And you know almost anytime that Ford has to do any sort of work on those engines, the cab has to come off. That will always hold up a lift in the shop, so I would suppose that is what helps drive up the cost.

Does it have a cp4 pump or a cp3 pump?

The cp4 pump on my cousins Jetta died a few weeks ago, and the parts to convert it to a cp3 were the same price as a new cp4 so he's gonna have a cp3 pump Jetta TDI.

Were they aware of that? Sometimes these title issues are not picked up until a later date, and ultimately void any/all warranties.

Edit:
If Ford's system ever picks up on the branded title, I can foresee them denying a claim due to the verbiage on page 4, section j:

"j) Repairs to the Vehicle if the odometer is altered, broken, repaired or replaced so that We cannot determine the actual mileage on the Vehicle;"

Good question. The truck has a clean title, not a branded title. It has a brand identification Carfax, not a DMV.

An inspector came out and thoroughly inspected the vehicle prior to Ford approving the purchase of the extended warranty. Over 100 very detailed pictures were taken in my estimate. Every vin label, pictures making sure the emissions were not deleted, etc.

I am hopefull no issues honoring the extended warranty because of the inspection process prior to to warranty being issued.

Back