Hyundai Engine warranty approved, but...

My nieces 2013 Optima with the troublesome 2.4 engine started making noise intermittently and had never had the recall done to check it's bearings (SC147) because of her moving and not receiving mail. I took it in a few weeks ago and they couldn't duplicate the noise and did the yellow to red dipstick change along with an oil change. A few days after the car was picked up the noise re-appeared. My s-i-l is worried about her daughter taking the car back to college in New England due to the danger of engine seizure (which is mentioned in the recall). The car has 156K and at this point has little resale value. It's disappointing when you have no faith in a well maintained vehicle and H/K is definitely losing sales over their ongoing engine issues. My daughter had great experience with her 2008 Elantra but we went with a Mazda CX-30 over a Kona or Seltos due to concerns over their engines. You would think they would have fixed the problem immediately rather than letting it fester for years.

You would think they would have fixed the problem immediately rather than letting it fester for years.
It is cheaper for vehicle makers to let these types of problems age out of warranty and liability than to address and take on the expense in real time. Ford has done this with their Fusion and Focus models and the problematic DCT transmissions.

My nieces 2013 Optima with the troublesome 2.4 engine started making noise intermittently and had never had the recall done to check it's bearings (SC147) because of her moving and not receiving mail. I took it in a few weeks ago and they couldn't duplicate the noise and did the yellow to red dipstick change along with an oil change. A few days after the car was picked up the noise re-appeared. My s-i-l is worried about her daughter taking the car back to college in New England due to the danger of engine seizure (which is mentioned in the recall). The car has 156K and at this point has little resale value.
Now is an awful time to shop (I've wasted too many hours window shopping on the web). Replacing it may be hard.

Here's the thing: going back to college? does she "need" the car or just wants it? I get it, I was in college too, and I sure would have liked to have a car. For some, it's a requirement, just like when you have a job and have to get back and forth to work. But what I'm wondering is, if it's just to get to college, and back home every couple of months... and could be sitting much of the time... maybe run it until it blows? Drive as little as possible? Take the bus, car pool, or walk/bike? [I did the latter and got lots of respect for biking in below freezing temps.] If on campus, maybe it's just best to drop her off and pick her up at end of semester?

At any rate, sorry, I would hate to own something I didn't trust, and would be looking to ditch too.

It is cheaper for vehicle makers to let these types of problems age out of warranty and liability than to address and take on the expense in real time. Ford has done this with their Fusion and Focus models and the problematic DCT transmissions.
I don't think the Fusion had the problematic DCT but the Focus certainly did. In the long run it might have been 'cheaper' for Ford to fix the problem after the first year (2012) rather than keep selling it for 7 or 8 more years. Think how many Focus owners left the brand for good after getting stuck with a brand new lemon.

I don't think the Fusion had the problematic DCT but the Focus certainly did. In the long run it might have been 'cheaper' for Ford to fix the problem after the first year (2012) rather than keep selling it for 7 or 8 more years. Think how many Focus owners left the brand for good after getting stuck with a brand new lemon.
Not only that but the previous gen '08-11 was bomber. Great little cars and the autos I've seen were still shifting great at 220k with minimal maintenance.

I realize they were only 4 speeds (I think?) but seems to match well enough with the 2.0.

No the Fusion had the GM-Ford 6F35 in it starting in 2010 IIRC. Before that it was an Aisin 6 speed automatic or a Mazda unit, depending on what engine you had. The Hybrids/Energis had a CVT.

The Gen 1 6F35 was well known for having a valve-body defect/engineering issue that eventually resulted in the transmission failing to shift or slowly shifting from 1-2/2-3 (and sometimes into reverse) as the valves and bores prematurely wore out.

You are right. It was the Fiesta that also had it in addition to the Focus. Got it mixed up.

For the hundai with a little bit of noise and 156k miles, you could a) try again to get it warrantied, b) run thicker oil and see if that helps, or c) sell the car while it runs good and get a better one

Back