can i change oil without changing my fram ultra?

Some say that filter becomes more efficient as it traps more particles, up to a point.

Who are "some" ... the SAE, a filter manufacturer or some click-baiter on YouTube?

There is also info in that thread you linked (see post #9 in that thread) that says oil filters can become less efficient with time as they load up and the delta-p increases and causes trapped particles in the media to break away.

The "hockey stick curve" that the Purolator engineer was talking about shows the efficiency decreasing as the filter loads up, then quickly increasing right before the filter becomes nearly totally clogged ... which is a condition you don't want to be in.

It might be possible for some oil filters to change efficiency as they get used, and it's not always the case that they increase in efficiency. I'd bet more decrease than increase in efficiency as they load up. If anyone is worried about that, the best thing you can do is use high efficiency filters because if it has a high ISO efficiency rating, then how ISO defines the efficiency (avg of new to loaded efficiency) it means the efficiency can't change much between the new vs loaded condition.

Oil Filter Efficiency vs Loading Time.JPG

Last edited:
8 pages of discussion about whether or not to reuse an oil filter, but not one single post about reselling them??
Maybe the guy who was selling slightly used motor oil can do an "oil & filter combo" sale like Advance Auto ... :LOL:

Maybe the guy who was selling slightly used motor oil can do an "oil & filter combo" sale like Advance Auto ... :LOL:
That could be dangerous if truly thrifty BITOGer stumbles upon that garage sale. He would realize that he can save big bucks with that deal, but he knows he shouldn’t go used, but the money, but the oil...AAARRGGHH!

Blammo! His head would explode right there on the guy’s front lawn!!

"One Filter, One OCI!"

U2 saves a lot of money on filters. It's true! check it out on the internet.

U2-One lyrics:

Is it getting better?
Or do you filter the same?
Will it make it easier on you now?
You got someone to blame
You say, one love, one life , one filter ...

Last edited:
I've opened my filters at 8-10K miles, they had very little if any dirty in them. High end oil filters guaranteed to 20K miles and Honda recommends changing it every other oil change, I am sticking with changing my filter every other oil change, which is 16-18K miles on Honda engine.

There is also info in that thread you linked (see post #9 in that thread) that says oil filters can become less efficient with time as they load up and the delta-p increases and causes trapped particles in the media to break away.
Yes, it says sometimes, not always, efficiency can decrease due to particles breaking down. Typically with any kind of filter, the efficiency increases and flow is reduced over time. I am sure there are exceptions. If you look at the chart, the red slightly dipped down in the beginning, does not look significant enough to me. For as long as flow is normal, I do not see this to be a concern. Also, Mobil1/Fram and others guaranteed for 20K miles, and Honda been saying to change oil filter every other oil change, this gives me more confidence.

If your oil filter is clogging up at 5000 km, your engine has serious problems and is unlikely to last beyond the warranty :D
I think you misunderstood my post. What I suggested was that I’d rather have a fresh filter than running it for multiple OCIs and allowing it to clog up. I never said MY filter would clog at 5000km...I don’t think any would.

Plus, the oil filter for my truck is about $10. Saving $10 every few months isn’t going to make me rich.

I think you misunderstood my post. What I suggested was that I’d rather have a fresh filter than running it for multiple OCIs and allowing it to clog up. I never said MY filter would clog at 5000km...I don’t think any would.

Plus, the oil filter for my truck is about $10. Saving $10 every few months isn’t going to make me rich.
Where do you buy your filters there in Karachi?

What is that, about 1000 rupees?

Yes, it says sometimes, not always, efficiency can decrease due to particles breaking down. Typically with any kind of filter, the efficiency increases and flow is reduced over time. I am sure there are exceptions. If you look at the chart, the red slightly dipped down in the beginning, does not look significant enough to me. For as long as flow is normal, I do not see this to be a concern. Also, Mobil1/Fram and others guaranteed for 20K miles, and Honda been saying to change oil filter every other oil change, this gives me more confidence.
I never said always either ... I explained it in post #142. If you look at the graph, not all particle sizes behave the same as the filter loads up. Most ISO filter efficiency ratings are at 20u, so if a filter has a low ISO efficiency rating at 20 microns it means it's behaving like the 20u curve in the graph. Like mentioned before, the ISO efficiency rating is the average efficiency between the clean filter and the loaded filter. A filter with a high ISO efficiency can't lose or gain much efficiency over the use period of the filter - ie, the efficiency is more constant as it loads up.

Yes, I'd trust the filter manufacture's recommended use mileage for the most part, but that use rating is connected to the level of debris loading and therefore the ISO efficiency rating.

What's a filter cost in the US?, five bucks?. Just change the **** thing each time. Here in Australia, mine cost $19USD and I don't blink at changing it every 5000 miles.
We don’t get any kangaroos or spiders running against the flow in toilets, so hence cheaper filters as a compensation

i have a fram ultra xg3506 on my gm 6.0l v8 lq4 engine. fram states this filter is good for 20,000 miles and 30,000 km. i am not too sure how true that is but i am going to change my oil this weekend since i want to try solving a oil leak, maybe go thicker or something and i was hoping to keep the fram ultra on and not change it. the fram ultra only has 4000 km on it so i doubt it is even that dirty anyways. i dont see why i cannot just put new oil in and use the old filter until it eventually gets x amount of km on it that i have to change it. but i just want to make sure! i will definetly change the filter next oil change most likely which will be in 6000 more km's probably

thx
Well it’s one of two scenarios,
Yes...or Fram is falsely advertising this as a 20,000 mile filter?

You can but changing your filter gets most old oil out.
A half quart of oil contaminates your other 5 1/2 quarts
Some people believe that leaving a little of the 'conditioned' oil is a good thing....I can't remember the word right now
but it has something to do with the new oil taking time to form an AW film (layer) on the metal.

PS: I would have no problem running a FU for 2 OCI's of 7500 miles....and I agree not to remove it in between changes.

Some people believe that leaving a little of the 'conditioned' oil is a good thing....I can't remember the word right now
but it has something to do with the new oil taking time to form an AW film (layer) on the metal.

Tribofilm I think. I posted about it earlier.

Some real experts were talking about it few years ago. not sure how significant the impact is or how you can measure ... Maybe there is study somewhere or it was posted if you search but I don't recall.

Yes...that's the word I couldn't remember...'tribofilm'.....thanks OU.

I never used an oil filter for more than one OCI until I bought my Focus which has a belly pan that has 9 screws (with 2 different heads). I have used FU's and Bosch D+'s for 2 OCI's* a few times by using a Mityvac to save time and labor. I use the 'tribofilm' theory to justify this shortcut. I seriously doubt it will have any effect on the life of the engine.

*Those OCI's are usually under 6K and use synthetic oil...so the filter would never exceed approx. 12K of usage...

PS: I would have no problem running a FU for 2 OCI's of 7500 miles....and I agree not to remove it in between changes.

Many engines, even after draining and changing the filter, still have quite a bit oil left in the engine. My car, a 2.5 liter Camry, retains about a quart.

Reactions: pbm
Back