can i change oil without changing my fram ultra?

I never used an oil filter for more than one OCI until I bought my Focus which has a belly pan that has 9 screws (with 2 different heads).

You would be surprised how clean modern engines run. I can barely see anything in my mobil1 filter media after 10K miles on Toyota engine. So 20K miles is really not stretching for filter.

Yes, filters are cheap, but if you change your oil every 8-10K miles and DIY, it saves some time and job is less messy.

Many engines, even after draining and changing the filter, still have quite a bit oil left in the engine. My car, a 2.5 liter Camry, retains about a quart.

I agree. Some engines retain more than others.

Btw, not that it matters but I think you were trying to quote pbm. Not sure why it's showing my name?

You can but changing your filter gets most old oil out.
A half quart of oil contaminates your other 5 1/2 quarts
So what do you do about all the old oil your engine retains up inside of it every single time? Please explain your procedure how you remove it. Thanks.

Never even thought to do this.
Maybe in her car but not my truck LOL.
Just had winter tires put on so I had them change the oil even with my stash waiting at home.

maybe next time.

and on second thought, the worst thing about the truck is when you remove the filter, the splash pan causes it to go everywhere. Some even goes in the oil collection container LOL.

Machinery Lubrication states that filters are MORE important than oil choice + should ALWAYS be changed with the oil!! i might add although many filters are better BUT their TEA CUP sizing ia an ISSUE. like extending changes skipping the filter is just "penny wise + dollar foolish" aka STUPID!!! not rushing the drain is good as well + if its a DIY raise the vehicle to get the drain plug lower + see the DIRTY oil drain vs a level lift dine at garages + the hotter the better IMO!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4WD
Machinery Lubrication states that filters are MORE important than oil choice + should ALWAYS be changed with the oil!! i might add although many filters are better BUT their TEA CUP sizing ia an ISSUE. like extending changes skipping the filter is just "penny wise + dollar foolish" aka STUPID!!! not rushing the drain is good as well + if its a DIY raise the vehicle to get the drain plug lower + see the DIRTY oil drain vs a level lift dine at garages + the hotter the better IMO!!

Can you link to that article? Id like to read it and its full context.
ML writes about multiple subjects that aren't always auto related.

On article I thought was interesting was titled managing the perils of a short volume oil change which practically every auto oil change is.

It has in interesting chart that bottom that gives you a percentage of old oil remaining after a double change.

Thanks for sharing, So if I change my oil at 5000 miles, it wouldn’t make sense to waste my money on a 20,000 mile rated filter???

What's a filter cost in the US?, five bucks?. Just change the **** thing each time. Here in Australia, mine cost $19USD and I don't blink at changing it every 5000 miles.
Fram Ultras cost more like $12.

Not changing the filter would be like wearing dirty underwear.
Well.... it's only when the underwear gets brown spots on it that won't come out that you'd need to change the underwear.

Maybe OP's oil filter hasn't done that yet? 🤷

All day long plus not stepping one foot into that pathetic place.
Here is one that's $11 ($10.97 to be exact) so maybe it varies. https://www.amazon.com/XG9688-Ultra...words=fram+ultra+xg9719&qid=1608847601&sr=8-6

You don't like shopping at Walmart? (I also use Amazon for most things... Walmart for most foods, and things you need right now.)

Well-planned oil purchases, you can come out ahead using Amazon.

Need it now? There's Walmart...

Whose everyday prices are less than sale prices at other stores. Getting into The Land of Needless Mark-Up territory there...

Back