can i change oil without changing my fram ultra?

i have a fram ultra xg3506 on my gm 6.0l v8 lq4 engine. fram states this filter is good for 20,000 miles and 30,000 km. i am not too sure how true that is but i am going to change my oil this weekend since i want to try solving a oil leak, maybe go thicker or something and i was hoping to keep the fram ultra on and not change it. the fram ultra only has 4000 km on it so i doubt it is even that dirty anyways. i dont see why i cannot just put new oil in and use the old filter until it eventually gets x amount of km on it that i have to change it. but i just want to make sure! i will definetly change the filter next oil change most likely which will be in 6000 more km's probably

thx

Yes. Unless they have changed Honda only calls for a filter every other service and that isn't an Ultra. Just the standard filter. All though the OEM Honda Filter appeared more robust than the standard orange can.

Yes, I do it all the time on my Jeep. Just leave the filter in place. Don't try to empty the oil from it.

Reactions: pbm
You can but changing your filter gets most old oil out. A half quart of oil contaminates your other 5 1/2 quarts
To paraphrase @dnewton3 - "Oil does not suddenly go bad because you decide to change it." in the OP's case, the oil that is being changed only has 4K km or 2,485 miles on it and the vast majority of the oil will be removed when it is dumped. Do we seriously think the small amount left in the filter will contaminate the new oil? Color me extremely skeptical.

To paraphrase @dnewton3 - "Oil does not suddenly go bad because you decide to change it." in the OP's case, the oil that is being changed only has 4K km or 2,485 miles on it and the vast majority of the oil will be removed when it is dumped. Do we seriously think the small amount left in the filter will contaminate the new oil? Color me extremely skeptical.

yeah exactly and correct me if im wrong but the filter probably only takes 1/4 a quart.
which would mean for my 6 quart engine. .25quart is "old"
which would be:

.25quart / 6 quart x 100% = 4.2% of "contaminated" old oil + whatever small matter in the fram

doesnt seem too bad

I've used Fram Ultra for up to 18,000 miles and 2 oil changes. You'll be fine.

yeah exactly and correct me if im wrong but the filter probably only takes 1/4 a quart.
which would mean for my 6 quart engine. .25quart is "old"
which would be:

.25quart / 6 quart x 100% = 4.2% of "contaminated" old oil + whatever small matter in the fram

doesnt seem too bad

A fresh engine likely requires 6.5 qt anyway. So you are leaving 0.75 qt vs 0.5 qt.
You may trap some additional oil in the passages near the filter as well depending on design.

Back