can i change oil without changing my fram ultra?

Skid plate is a pain in one of my older cars so I change the filter every other time. Filter sits sideways and doesn't hold much oil because I drain 0.2 qt less with the filter in there.

I used to buy factory oil filter but for the first time ever, I used Fram Ultra last time. Wal-Mart had it and it cost even more at Wal-Mart than the dealer oil filter. So it must be better 🤔 no?

I plan on running a Fram Ultra for two OCIs on my 2016 CRV once the two free oil changes from the dealer are used up. From what I have read here on BITOG and seen on YouTube the proper way to do that is to just leave it on. If you remove and drain and reinstall there is a chance the reuse of the gasket may leak.

Apollo18, if you are going to keep it a long time, you might want to put a FUMOTO oil drain valve on it.

Put a light color stripe on the bottom of the filter from the center out to one side so you can tell how much you have turned it when tightening it.

Last edited:
Skid plate is a pain in one of my older cars so I change the filter every other time. Filter sits sideways and doesn't hold much oil because I drain 0.2 qt less with the filter in there.

I used to buy factory oil filter but for the first time ever, I used Fram Ultra last time. Wal-Mart had it and it cost even more at Wal-Mart than the dealer oil filter. So it must be better 🤔 no?
What's the price of the ultra? I buy mine from Rockauto. Others buy a 6 pack from eBay. Look around at your options. I usually buy 4-6 filters at a time from Rockauto to save on shipping.

I think Ultra was very close to $10 at Wal-Mart. iirc, just a little over or under 10.
Dealer filter which people say is also very good is about $7 or $8.

Reactions: JC1
I don't know if matters but dealer filter looks very nice and shiny inside than Ultra. lol
also dealer filter has a sticky plastic cover over the filter which I like since I found a very very tiny piece of cardboard (from packaging?) inside the Ultra. But I like the non -slip grip on Ultra.
next time I'm going to weigh both filters just for fun.

Btw, I use syn-blend in this car and change the oil at 4500 miles so both filter should handle that but I decided to use the "better" filter this time.

Of course you can.

Whats left in the filter doesn't amount to squat compared to whats left in motor and you've never done an interim flush have you?

So why worry about it now?

Reactions: JC1
Of course you can.

Whats left in the filter doesn't amount to squat compared to whats left in motor and you've never done an interim flush have you?

So why worry about it now?

UncleDave I don't know why but every time you post it reminds me of my uncles. They used to give me cash every time there was a family gathering. lol

UncleDave I don't know why but every time you post it reminds me of my uncles. They used to give me cash every time there was a family gathering. lol

It funny you say that as I alway give the kids (all siblings) in my family cash when I see them.
Some try to refuse and I tell them 2 things.

1. Its not enough money to refuse.
2. when someone older than you in your family gives you cash- take it.

I grew up rich, then family tragedies made us poor, then I made myself rich.
When I was poor I sweated rent, bills, had to chose between parts and food, went to bed hungry, had to drive broken down POS's on bald tires.
There were times when a gift tank of gas and bag of groceries meant a lot to me.

I buy Napa gold when sale change every oil change still will cheaper than fram ultra .

He's not saying you need to floor to start it, he's explaining starting the engine in "clear flood mode" and turning it over with the starter for a few seconds to prime the oil filter.
I've never heard of this mode. Do all FI engines have this feature? Does the engine then start after XX-seconds? Will it rev quite high considering the throttle position? Thanks!

I've never heard of this mode. Do all FI engines have this feature? Does the engine then start after XX-seconds? Will it rev quite high considering the throttle position? Thanks!
On most FI engines this will crank the engine but not cycle the injectors...no fuel, no fire.

only way to know is to try it with yours

yeah exactly and correct me if im wrong but the filter probably only takes 1/4 a quart.
which would mean for my 6 quart engine. .25quart is "old"
which would be:

.25quart / 6 quart x 100% = 4.2% of "contaminated" old oil + whatever small matter in the fram

doesnt seem too bad
Dear Apollo 18 … it appears that you left your thread with this post in July … but since it has opened back up … perhaps you can tell us what you did … Thanks

On most FI engines this will crank the engine but not cycle the injectors...no fuel, no fire.

only way to know is to try it with yours
I'll give it a go in the morning. Thanks.

Good to know I just changed my wife’s oil on the accord which had a ultra on it . I forgot the new ultra in my malibu I was gonna leave it on only 5k on the filter. But I figure bitogers would be pissed if i left the old filter on .

You can but changing your filter gets most old oil out.
A half quart of oil contaminates your other 5 1/2 quarts
Ehh if I look at my car which has a service fill of 5.4 quarts and a factory fill of 6.66 🤘 quarts you’re already leaving over a quart of old oil in anyways. The average filter is only going to hold about 9 or so oz of oil or less unless it’s a big class 8 diesel so it’s the equivalent of peeing in the ocean if you’re going swimming.

Back