can i change oil without changing my fram ultra?

My dad changed oil/filter one change and oil only all the way back in the '60's and never had a severe oil burner. If his cars used any oil it was usually 1qt. or less per OCI. Once a car goes to getting lots of miles on it I often start changing filters every other oil change and I do the big no-no removing the filter dumping what oil I can and putting the same filter back on. I always wipe the gasket and mounting surface clean while I have the filter off and have never had one leak. I'm not sure but back in the late '60's when Ford had a 6K mile recommended OCI I think they approved of filter change every other oil change. When dad bought a new Mercury in '68 he did 3K mile OCI's but ran his filters 6K. The first 6 years he had the Mercury it was a weekend only car and got oil changes every 3K regardless of time. In '74 when my brother wrecked dad's daily driver he bought a new Ford LTD. The Mercury became the daily driver and for several years the new LTD became queen of the garage. When he got rid of the '68 Mercury it had 168K miles. It might need a quart between changes occasionally but not often. In 1975 I got my drivers license and I can confirm the easy miles days were gone for that little 302. If dad had known how I was driving that car I probably still wouldn't be driving today.

Last edited:
Depends on what vehicle. Escape I take skid plate off,pull the oil plug,then filter. I let that drain all night 😆

So in 100K miles you get out the tools, and get under the car 20 times.

I'd do it 5 times. I'd happily do it 20 times - if it actually mattered.

My dad changed oil/filter one change and oil only all the way back in the '60's and never had a severe oil burner. If his cars used any oil it was usually 1qt. or less per OCI. Once a car goes to getting lots of miles on it I often start changing filters every other oil change and I do the big no-no removing the filter dumping what oil I can and putting the same filter back on. I always wipe the gasket and mounting surface clean while I have the filter off and have never had one leak. I'm not sure but back in the late '60's when Ford had a 6K mile recommended OCI I think they approved of filter change every other oil change. When dad bought a new Mercury in '68 he did 3K mile OCI's but ran his filters 6K. The first 6 years he had the Mercury it was a weekend only car and got oil changes every 3K regardless of time. In '74 when my brother wrecked dad's daily driver he bought a new Ford LTD. The Mercury became the daily driver and for several years it was the queen of the garage. When he got rid of the '68 Mercury it had 168K miles. It might need a quart between changes occasionally but not often. In 1975 I got my drivers license and I can confirm the easy miles days were gone for that little 302.
-
So if there are 2 pints sitting in the motor and filter, you'll pull the filter and drain the 1/4 -1/2 pint out of the filter.

Really? I haven't seen many swollen and burst filters even here. Torn sure.

Lets get back to the questions you didnt answer -...

I'm fine with you or anyone saying its a preference - but have yet to see anyone demonstrate, or show me their data as to why the big guys (that actually do the testing) have it wrong.

We have to understand that logic is a foreign concept to roughly half of BitOgers.

It’s a matter of preference but I’ve seen people leave them on then they swell up and burst.
Impossible unless the PD oil pump's pressure relief valve fails and doesn't regulate the maximum pump output pressure. That has zero to do with how long an oil filter is used - if the pump pressure regulator failed it could blow-up a brand new filter.

Last edited:
Impossible unless the PD oil pump's pressure relief valve fails and doesn't regulate the maximum pump output pressure. That has zero to do with how long an oil filter is used - if the pump pressure regulator failed it could blow-up a brand new filter.
Well I’ve seen it happen my brother in law left his on for three oil changes it burst. Now yes it was a regular oil filter but it still shouldn’t have done that.

I think most run the oil filter multiple times because they're too lazy to change it. Just sayin'............ YMMV.
It's nothing to do with lazyness for me. Might as well keep it on for longer since the filter can handle that.

It's also better for the environment, less waste to dispose of and less environmental impact. When I cut the filters open, there is no buildup of sludge or particles since both engines in my signature are properly taken care of.

Well I’ve seen it happen my brother in law left his on for three oil changes it burst. Now yes it was a regular oil filter but it still shouldn’t have done that.
What vehicle was that on? Would be nice to see that filter cut open and see what was inside. I would only leave the ultras on for longer since they have a wire or mesh backed media and countless C&Ps here have shown the ultras to stand up to extended intervals and come out with media still looking very good.

i have a fram ultra xg3506 on my gm 6.0l v8 lq4 engine. fram states this filter is good for 20,000 miles and 30,000 km. i am not too sure how true that is but i am going to change my oil this weekend since i want to try solving a oil leak, maybe go thicker or something and i was hoping to keep the fram ultra on and not change it. the fram ultra only has 4000 km on it so i doubt it is even that dirty anyways. i dont see why i cannot just put new oil in and use the old filter until it eventually gets x amount of km on it that i have to change it. but i just want to make sure! i will definetly change the filter next oil change most likely which will be in 6000 more km's probably

thx
Sure. The clean oil will loosen up any contaminants that are trapped in that used filter. It goes right back in your engine. Oh but wait...Maybe the idea of changing oil is to ensure a healthy engine. I don’t know. Do what you want. It’s your vehicle.

What vehicle was that on? Would be nice to see that filter cut open and see what was inside. I would only leave the ultras on for longer since they have a wire or mesh backed media and countless C&Ps here have shown the ultras to stand up to extended intervals and come out with media still looking very good.
2007 Toyota Corolla

Reactions: JC1
The Fram Ultra is good enough to go past 10K miles provided you have an engine in good mechanical condition and are using good oil. I used to change the oil on my Nissan 370Z every 5000 miles with Redline oil and change the Fram Ultra filter every other oil change.
I mentioned that to Blackstone when I sent in a sample and they didn't find any problems with my sample.
Would I want to go 15,000 or 20,000 miles on ANY filter ? No.
But a premium filter like the Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 is certainly good for 10,000 miles without worries.

-
So if there are 2 pints sitting in the motor and filter, you'll pull the filter and drain the 1/4 -1/2 pint out of the filter.
My car's that I've done this on call for a 4qt. fill capacity with filter. When I do this it takes the full 4 qts. to bring it up to full on the dipstick,

I change every other time in my Ford F-150. It has the optional skid plates similar to an FX-4 and when I pull the filter oil will drain from the
skid plate for 3-5 days before it finally quits dripping out. You will be fine with every other oil change. Usually a vehicles engine outlasts the body and other parts anyway.

Sure. The clean oil will loosen up any contaminants that are trapped in that used filter. It goes right back in your engine. Oh but wait...Maybe the idea of changing oil is to ensure a healthy engine. I don’t know. Do what you want. It’s your vehicle.
How does a filter all of the sudden with new oil lose its ability to keep contaminants trapped? Lol.

Back