can i change oil without changing my fram ultra?

Understood, however I don’t believe new oil will loosen contaminants from a filter that has trapped said contaminants already. New oil or old oil, the filter catches particles of the same size. It can be easily debated that a filter with some miles filters better than a new one. If new oil at any one particular change lets loose enough sludge to cause an engine a problem, well, there’s more of a problem going on than anything were referring to with this discussion and it’s not a filter issue.

If the filter is good for 20,000 miles, changing at 10,000 miles simply means you don’t believe that filter is up to what the manufacturer says. Just like changing the oil in the car at 3000 and 4000 miles when the manufacturer recommends an oil change interval double that. Up to every individual but that’s just saying manufactures are not to be believed.

Here's how I see it:
Leaving 5% used oil in a re-used filter is like driving 250 extra miles in a 5000 mile OCI.
I've been using oil filters for 2 OCIs since my 1988 Accord.
Its filter was on the firewall side of the engine and right above the exhaust pipe.

Well sure you can but that's kind of like washing your clothes in dirty water..
"Ring around the collar"!
You are washing your clothes in some of the rinse water from the previous load. Your washer has a sump with water in it all the time, same with your dishwasher.

As Crash mentioned, there’s about 25% old oil during any oil change, with new filter. My K24 Honda had a change quantity of 4.5qts and a factory fill of 5.7.

ring around the collar isn’t caused by the washing machine, it’s sebum from you. Try a different detergent or get out of the 70’s!

Threads like this are amusing. Here is how I look at it. Using a Fram Ultra filter (or equivalent) for two OCI's will not by any stretch shorten the life of my motor over somebody else that changes the filter every time. There is a lot of OCD on here-there always has been. After my next dealer oil change-I will be using a Fram Ultra for two OCI's on my $50,000.00 pickup and am not thinking twice about it.

Reactions: JC1
If you're going to reuse the same filter for another OCI, leave it alone. DO NOT take it off!

Once you remove the filter for any reason, you must replace it.
yes....because like the dreaded high mileage automatic transmission fluid change, oil filters are equally as risky to remove and re-install....lol

Yes, but it's subject to heat cycles, torqued on tight, then deforms when removed and doesn't always seal as good when reimstalled
I don't agree it deforms. If it did you would see leaking filter gaskets all the time. For the seal to be effective, the rubber MUST stay pliable (springy), no different than an o-ring. You have o-rings that last 200k miles on your car. Your oil filter gasket is similar, made of buna or silicone. Just like an o-ring.

Last edited:
I don't agree it deforms. If it did you would see leaking filter gaskets all the time. For the seal to be effective, the rubber MUST stay pliable (springy), no different than an o-ring. You have o-rings that last 200k miles on your car. Your oil filter gasket is similar.
It might be best to say the rubber gasket has a great potential to deform, have a degree of chemical breakdown in the rubber, lose a degree of elasticity and so forth the longer is remains in service.

I'm personally one of those who replace things like filters, gaskets, seals and so forth just as a matter of cause because the risk of failure outweighs the benefit of trying to trip over dollars to pick up pennies.

True there is no guarantee that they will or must degrade to the point where they "have been damaged" but personally I think it good practice.

It might be best to say the rubber gasket has a great potential to deform, have a degree of chemical breakdown in the rubber, lose a degree of elasticity and so forth the longer is remains in service.

I'm personally one of those who replace things like filters, gaskets, seals and so forth just as a matter of cause because the risk of failure outweighs the benefit of trying to trip over dollars to pick up pennies.

True there is no guarantee that they will or must degrade to the point where they "have been damaged" but personally I think it good practice.
Of course it's good practice to replace seals when you have something apart. I generally do except in the case where at home, if the seal is bad, it's not that painful to fix it and I don't want to make a run to the hardware store. But the point is, o-rings do go 200k and 10 years on a regular basis so the thought that an oil filter re-seal cannot is just plain absurd. I don't see where there is this potential for damage unless your banging the seal face against a sharp object upon removal.

I don't agree it deforms. If it did you would see leaking filter gaskets all the time. For the seal to be effective, the rubber MUST stay pliable (springy), no different than an o-ring. You have o-rings that last 200k miles on your car. Your oil filter gasket is similar, made of buna or silicone. Just like an o-ring.
Yeah … resilient material has inherent restoration force … some seals that see wear can “feed” more material

Really? I haven't seen many swollen and burst filters even here. Torn sure.

Lets get back to the questions you didnt answer -

You or anyone here knows better than the manufacturers themselves?

I'm fine with you or anyone saying its a preference - but have yet to see anyone demonstrate, or show me their data as to why the big guys (that actually do the testing) have it wrong.

I dont care how people spend their money, they can throw away anything they want its their money, tires, wipers, filters, oil - half used, they do it all the time.

"Selling it" successfully as best practice requires more than ones preference or opinion especially without data - and I'll politely push back every time.
This is no different than the long OCI recommendations on many new vehicles. Yes, the manufacturer’s R&D teams are experts...but the ones making decisions are people with marketing, finance, and law degrees. Lower cost of ownership is a great metric to sell a product...but I’ll stick to 5000km oil and filter changes for my environment and driving style, thanks. A filter is cheap insurance, so I’ll change it rather than let it keep clogging up and running in bypass. The manufacturer doesn’t care if my engine lasts past warranty, but I do.

Back