can i change oil without changing my fram ultra?

The "DRY FILL" vs refill is about 1/2 quart difference in my engines. The volume of a 2.5" dia x 3"long OIL filter = ~ 14.7 cu/in or 0.247 quarts minus the media and valve. Therefor using the oil filter for 2 or 3x oil changes means the oil filter volume is a non issue. Ed

Last edited:
Ehh if I look at my car which has a service fill of 5.4 quarts and a factory fill of 6.66 🤘 quarts you’re already leaving over a quart of old oil in anyways. The average filter is only going to hold about 9 or so oz of oil or less unless it’s a big class 8 diesel so it’s the equivalent of peeing in the ocean if you’re going swimming.
Dang, what vehicle? My CR-V says .3qt difference.

I’d never leave a filter on and change the oil that’s ridiculous in my opinion. I don’t care what the filter says it can or cannot do I’m not leaving it on more than one change. If the car gets new oil it gets a new filter.

Let's dig into this. I was raised the same way, but Ive come around to thinking I may have had it wrong.

So you think Honda and any manufacturers that recommend an FCI every other OCI have it wrong?
You think filter manufacturers that quote 15 and 20 lifespans all have it wrong?

Its ok if you do. but know you have some pretty smart people with much more experience than you, and have and more degrees than a thermometer that say you have it wrong.

The getting rid of the oil oil reason is a yank.
Because dad did it may not hold water today.

Guys that approve of it have the means to measure aggregate contamination - Im not sure anyone here does.

A TP analogy is amusing but facile, another guy said re-use it 1000 times- bit of exaggeration?

Last edited:
Let's dig into this. I was raised the same way, but Ive come around to thinking I may have had it wrong.

So you think Honda and any manufacturers that recommend an FCI every other OCI have it wrong?
You think filter manufacturers that quote 15 and 20 lifespans all have it wrong?

Its ok if you do. but know you have some pretty smart people with much more experience than you, and have and more degrees than a thermometer that say you have it wrong.

The getting rid of the oil oil reason is a yank.
Because dad did it may not hold water today.

Guys that approve of it have the means to measure aggregate contamination - Im not sure anyone here does.

A TP analogy is amusing but facile, another guy said refuse it 1000 time- bot of exaggeration.
It’s a matter of preference but I’ve seen people leave them on then they swell up and burst.

Gotta love those interwebs people telling others how to spend their own hard earned money 😂

It’s a matter of preference but I’ve seen people leave them on then they swell up and burst.

Really? I haven't seen many swollen and burst filters even here. Torn sure.

Lets get back to the questions you didnt answer -

You or anyone here knows better than the manufacturers themselves?

I'm fine with you or anyone saying its a preference - but have yet to see anyone demonstrate, or show me their data as to why the big guys (that actually do the testing) have it wrong.

I dont care how people spend their money, they can throw away anything they want its their money, tires, wipers, filters, oil - half used, they do it all the time.

"Selling it" successfully as best practice requires more than ones preference or opinion especially without data - and I'll politely push back every time.

Really? I haven't seen many swollen and burst filters even here. Torn sure.

Lets get back to the questions you didnt answer -

You or anyone here knows better than the manufacturers themselves?

I'm fine with you or anyone saying its a preference - but have yet to see anyone demonstrate, or show me their data as to why the big guys (that actually do the testing) have it wrong.

I dont care how people spend their money, they can throw away anything they want its their money, tires, wipers, filters, oil - half used, they do it all the time.

"Selling it" successfully as best practice requires more than ones preference or opinion especially without data - and I'll politely push back every time.
No I don’t know more than the manufacturer but I feel most is marketing claims. I haven’t seen any big guys do testing I didn’t know their was companies that did testing on them.

No I don’t know more than the manufacturer but I feel most is marketing claims. I haven’t seen any big guys do testing I didn’t know their was companies that did testing on them.

How do you think the filter companies came to decide on why some filters are good for 5K and others 10 15 and 20?

A manufacturer can measure under load what the contamination rate is - its really really low these days.

Its more than just the Markleting guys taking a guess - but Im cynical so I get your point.

No one's going to hurt anything but their wallet by throwing away a 20K filter at 10K.

UD

How do you think the filter companies came to decide on why some filters are good for 5K and others 10 15 and 20?

A manufacturer can measure under load what the contamination rate is - its really really low these days.

Its more than just the Markleting guys taking a guess - but Im cynical to I get you point.

No one's going to hurt anything but their wallet by throwing away a 20K filter at 10K.

UD
I figured they were tested in the factory lol

Its more than just the Markleting guys taking a guess - but Im cynical to I get you point.

UD

I'm running a Purolator Boss on our Ecoboost Escape. It is rated for 15,000 miles. But you know what,it's coming off @ 5000 miles because I don't trust the OLM and my wallet is and will be just fine.

I recall reading threads in old days I guess not that old since I joined in 2017 that some leftover oil is actually a good thing (tribofilm related). Also it takes a new filter material some time to break in and to "filter" efficiently ...

as a result, changing the filter every other time (under normal conditions) is not a bad thing. I'm sure there are always exceptions!

some may also care about savings and environmental benefits ...

For me not having to take the skid plate off is a big factor. For some reason this car has total of 12 or 13 bolts and plastic clips and is very time consuming to remove it but the drain plug is accessible.

Edit:
I should add that with my other easy cars with the oil filter door in skid plate, I change the filter every time but i have an excuse (see above) to not feel bad with this car.

Last edited:
I'm running a Purolator Boss on our Ecoboost Escape. It is rated for 15,000 miles. But you know what,it's coming off @ 5000 miles because I don't trust the OLM and my wallet is and will be just fine.

I wouldnt trust a Ford OLM either- but I do Hondas.

Do you do your own oil and filter changes?

Back