can i change oil without changing my fram ultra?

no dry start up either by leaving the long life filters in place as they are primed with oil. a minute extension of engine life over time may add up.

engine start ups sound smoother too.

Last edited:
To paraphrase @dnewton3 - "Oil does not suddenly go bad because you decide to change it." in the OP's case, the oil that is being changed only has 4K km or 2,485 miles on it and the vast majority of the oil will be removed when it is dumped. Do we seriously think the small amount left in the filter will contaminate the new oil? Color me extremely skeptical.
Ok take a gallon jug of water and put 8 oz of mud, ink, pee ect. It's now contaminated. Oil gets fuel,dirt,wear materials in it.
I personally want most of that out at my oil change. If a filter sits sideways or upside down your ok but the O.P. oil filter sits upright, no oil will drain out.he might even use a larger O/s filter leaving more contamination to mix with the new fresh clean oil.

Ok take a gallon jug of water and put 8 oz of mud, ink, pee ect. It's now contaminated. Oil gets fuel,dirt,wear materials in it.
I personally want most of that out at my oil change. If a filter sits sideways or upside down your ok but the O.P. oil filter sits upright, no oil will drain out.he might even use a larger O/s filter leaving more contamination to mix with the new fresh clean oil.
Your example is like comparing apples to swordfish. The oil in the filter has been filtered at 20um @99% and 8 ounces of oil that has been used for 2,400 miles in a 192 ounce sump will hardly contaminate the new oil.

Your example is like comparing apples to swordfish. The oil in the filter has been filtered at 20um @99% and 8 ounces of oil that has been used for 2,400 miles in a 192 ounce sump will hardly contaminate the new oil.
Filter will not filter out any fuel left in the oil

I've taken the filter off, drained it and reused it with no problems for the last 40 years. What am I missing here?

sometimes the gasket doesn't seal the same once you remove and reinstall. A few people on here have had problems with that

For 10,000km it'll be fine, Next time you pick up an Ultra for your car I suggest you pick up the XG9837, I'm guessing that when you looked at the filter guide it says to use the XG3675 which doesn't seem to be stocked anywhere, but says that the shorther XG3506 can be used, the XG9837 is identical to the XG3675 because all Ultra filters come with an ADBV, normally the 3675 numbered Frams have an ADBV which the identically sized 9837 does not.

Just how much fuel is in oil at 2400 miles? We are talking about 8 ounces of oil, likely less. Most UOAs of much longer runs do not indicate there is any appreciable amount of fuel in the oil.
I will keep changing my oil and filter, If I'm asked I would recommend that to anyone.
To each there own do what makes you feel good.🍻

no dry start up either by leaving the long life filters in place as they are primed with oil. a minute extension of engine life over time may add up.

engine start ups sound smoother too.
All you have to do to a FI engine is hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor and crank the engine over for about 20 seconds. It ALWAYS fills the oil filter up with oil and no more wood peckers pecking on a street light noise. :cool:

I’ve never had that issue with a fuel injected engine. Never needed to floor the throttle at start either.
Must be a particular engine?

The filter location on my ford 4.6 2V is total garbage and results in a mess every time it gets removed. I switched to a Fram Ultra and ran it for 2-3 OCI @5k. Zero issues and so much nicer not having to clean up a mess every time.

I agree with apollo 18 because, most daily drivers hold only 4-5 quarts like mine. In any case a "standard" size car filter only hold 0.25 to 0.4 quarts. Ed

The reason I lean towards a new filter every time is because so much oil drains from the block when I remove my filter (on my car).

I prefer not to begin a new OCI with that much dirty oil in the system.

Back