can i change oil without changing my fram ultra?

But the point is, o-rings do go 200k and 10 years on a regular basis so the thought that an oil filter re-seal cannot is just plain absurd.
Without question they can and do and to say ( as an absolute) they "cannot' be reused is not supported by the facts in evidence.

I don't know that many argue against that ( hope not anyway)

I don't see where there is this potential for damage unless your banging the seal face against a sharp object upon removal.
That's where the risk comes in. Different potentials for different things.

But at the end of the day its an individual decision and the odds are in favor of a reuse performing well.

When I run severe service intervals on my vehicles I only change the filters every 10k. i only dump and fill the oil at the 5k mark. Of,Course I am doing nothing spectacular because there is a large fleet of Toyota’s on the roads that on,y get oil and filter changes every 10k. I May upgrade my filters on my Tacoma after I pass 60k to go 2 years or 20 k miles. I have never pulled a cartridge filter out of my vehicles that has been deformed or even dirty. Just stained by the oil.

Last edited:
This is no different than the long OCI recommendations on many new vehicles. Yes, the manufacturer’s R&D teams are experts...but the ones making decisions are people with marketing, finance, and law degrees. Lower cost of ownership is a great metric to sell a product...but I’ll stick to 5000km oil and filter changes for my environment and driving style, thanks. A filter is cheap insurance, so I’ll change it rather than let it keep clogging up and running in bypass. The manufacturer doesn’t care if my engine lasts past warranty, but I do.

The internal "coup" scenario where marketing, and finance, and sales usurp engineerings advice is largely fantasy invented by people justifying their own choices.

If sales and marketing are in charge why isnt every car company jumping on 20K oil formulations?
Why didnt a SINGLE auto company back Mobils 20K formulation?

I've scoured bitog for a long time and downloaded every UOA on a J Series I can find they have demonstrated when starting with rated oil, and following the OLM and FCI/OCI the oil remains serviceable.

If keeping the filter in place for 2 OCI's had any detrimental effect the data would show that - it doesn't. Why?
Because contamination is measured as is filter holding capacity and it isnt guesswork.

Everyone is free to perform OCI's and FCI's using whatever random guesswork they wish.

There is a difference between cheap insurance and assured waste.

I'll stick with the data, and multiple manufacturers findings and advice.

The internal "coup" scenario where marketing, and finance, and sales usurp engineerings advice is largely fantasy invented by people justifying their own choices.
What business units advertised the Titanic as unsinkable? Created the fine print? Granted they are not responsible for everything but don't pretend they are not there and have very significant ( and often ultimate) say.

I pretty much agree with the rest

Good question on who made that claim?!
Spectacular failure has a way of keeping boardroom power in check.

We do rigorous MTBF component level testing to determine warranties and everyone wants a longer warranty, but sometimes the data just doesn't bear it out.....

I’ve always changed oil and filter, but have started going every other oil change on my wife’s 15 Altima, her daughters 15 keep Cherokee, either M1 filters or Fram Ultra and when I get this fill of Castrol edge ep with ultra filter out next fall I’m going to go with Chevron Supreme 5-6K mile intervals in my 17 accord sport and change the ultra every third oci

If sales and marketing are in charge why isnt every car company jumping on 20K oil formulations?
Why didnt a SINGLE auto company back Mobils 20K formulation?
Lexus claims the transmission in our GS comes with lifetime fluid.
I am not sure Aisin agrees; I think they call for a 60K service.

Personally I don't know what lifetime means in this case.
Of course I don't know who came up with the term lifetime fluid either.

Reminds me, I gotta service the transmission in the GS...

Lexus claims the transmission in our GS comes with lifetime fluid.
I am not sure Aisin agrees; I think they call for a 60K service.

Personally I don't know what lifetime means in this case.
Of course I don't know who came up with the term lifetime fluid either.

Reminds me, I gotta service the transmission in the GS...

Lifetime fluid is a mystery to me. If you never change the fluid and the unit is thats in 80K then thats its life.

In the case of two manufacturers disagreeing - I typically side with the more conservative one or analyze available data and then make a call.

In my case the the filter change interval - the auto manufacturer and filter maker are in agreement on component life.

With respect to bypass, my thought is there are a lot of high mileage filters out there and they’ve been out long enough that going to bypass doesn’t appear to be an issue.

Not gonna lie, when I was in my teens and 20’s, 3000 mile oil changes were the rule. This forum has shown beyond a doubt what the oil and filter do and how well they do what they do. Very easily I might add within manufacturer’s recommendations with respect to OCI or filter service life.

Many filters could be used twice. Most here just cringe at putting new oil in a dirty oil filled filter... :)

This is no different than the long OCI recommendations on many new vehicles. Yes, the manufacturer’s R&D teams are experts...but the ones making decisions are people with marketing, finance, and law degrees. Lower cost of ownership is a great metric to sell a product...but I’ll stick to 5000km oil and filter changes for my environment and driving style, thanks. A filter is cheap insurance, so I’ll change it rather than let it keep clogging up and running in bypass. The manufacturer doesn’t care if my engine lasts past warranty, but I do.
If your oil filter is clogging up at 5000 km, your engine has serious problems and is unlikely to last beyond the warranty :D

Many filters could be used twice. Most here just cringe at putting new oil in a dirty oil filled filter... :)

They get so absorbed about the cup and a half in the filter they forget the dirty 1/2 quart or more quart still inside the engine.

I'm running a Purolator Boss on our Ecoboost Escape. It is rated for 15,000 miles. But you know what,it's coming off @ 5000 miles because I don't trust the OLM and my wallet is and will be just fine.

I guess the only question I have is, why use the Boss filter in that case? Just use the regular one?

Some say that filter becomes more efficient as it traps more particles, up to a point. Honda manual tells you to change filter every other time, so should be fine do it.

Back