can i change oil without changing my fram ultra?

Well it’s one of two scenarios,
Yes...or Fram is falsely advertising this as a 20,000 mile filter?
You really think Fram (or any other big filter company) is going to stick their neck out by doing that? When Motorking was posting here, he said the ratings are on the conservative side, which is what I'd expect for warranty concerns.

Some people believe that leaving a little of the 'conditioned' oil is a good thing....I can't remember the word right now
but it has something to do with the new oil taking time to form an AW film (layer) on the metal.

Yes, it's been said that new oil can strip off the AW layer that was built up during the previous oil run. But even if some old oil was left over by not changing the oil filter, I'd still expect the old AW layer stipping with the new oil if that indeed happens.

Last edited:
Plus the oil swirls in the opposite direction in Oz ... so the filter's don't have to be high efficiency.
Re this toilet analogy...a little trivia for you, our toilets here don't swirl at all! The water sits just on the hole and flushes straight down!

I couldn't believe the toilets you guys have over there when I visited in '13. My balls were nearly dunking in the water..:ROFLMAO:

Plus the oil swirls in the opposite direction in Oz ... so the filter's don't have to be high efficiency.
Does the opposite direction flow affect either the pressure or volumetric efficiency of the oil?

You really think Fram (or any other big filter company) is going to stick their neck out by doing that? When Motorking was posting here, he said the ratings are on the conservative side, which is what I'd expect for warranty concerns.
From Fram’s web page,

“Drivers looking for top performance from newer engines and maximum protection for older vehicles will find the Ultra Synthetic filter to be the ideal filter at the perfect price. Engineered for all motor oil types, the Ultra Synthetic oil filter has the ultimate dual-layer synthetic media which provides up to 20,000 miles of engine protection.”

Again, not sure I understand why I should pay top dollar for a 20,000 mile rated filter if I am planing to do 5000 mile oil changes? Can’t have both...either it’s a quality filter that can be ran for 20,000 miles, as advertised, or it should be rated and priced for whatever mileage it is good for. Am I missing something...?

I guess the question is why are you doing 5000 mile oil changes?

If it's your intent to do that because of your GDI engine then the Ultra is overkill for your application in terms of longevity, as would be any other premium or boutique filter. Not in terms of efficiency, but longevity.

Then the question becomes how much do you value efficiency?

From Fram’s web page,

“Drivers looking for top performance from newer engines and maximum protection for older vehicles will find the Ultra Synthetic filter to be the ideal filter at the perfect price. Engineered for all motor oil types, the Ultra Synthetic oil filter has the ultimate dual-layer synthetic media which provides up to 20,000 miles of engine protection.”

Again, not sure I understand why I should pay top dollar for a 20,000 mile rated filter if I am planing to do 5000 mile oil changes? Can’t have both...either it’s a quality filter that can be ran for 20,000 miles, as advertised, or it should be rated and priced for whatever mileage it is good for. Am I missing something...?
I don't recall anyone here or Fram saying to only use it for 5000 miles ... that's entirely up to the person using it. But yeah, most people will not use a $9 filter like the Ultra when they can use a $3 filter if doing 5000 mile or less OCIs. Then there are people who want to use it for the high efficiency, and there are some that will use it for 3 X 5000 mile OCIs if on a clean engine. All kinds of options.

Which one? Cartridge or spin-on? All the spin-ons Ultras I buy at Walmart are under $9.
I'm going to have to go in there sometime between now and the end of the year, but I think:

1. Different filters MAY ring up a different price (the 3980 I bought on accident was more $, if I remember correctly)

2. Maybe it varies by area (my Walmart still has limited Supertech on the bottom shelf. Blue now. They used to be black.)

3. They also have K&N and Mobil 1 filters above the Fram Ultra.

I'm genuinely curious to get over there sometime next week now.

They still have one entrance closed.............

Which one? Cartridge or spin-on? All the spin-ons Ultras I buy at Walmart are under $9.
10358 cartridge. It costs $2 extra to make it so small, and to omit the can, base, ADBV valve, and bypass valve. Some other cartridges are higher. Your $9 will buy a Chinese TG10358, in literally the smallest box you can find in the oil-filter section.

10358 cartridge. It costs $2 extra to make it so small, and to omit the can, base, ADBV valve, and bypass valve. Some other cartridges are higher. Your $9 will buy a Chinese TG10358, in literally the smallest box you can find in the oil-filter section.
Yeah, seems cartridge filters are always more expensive, regardless of brand.

1. Different filters MAY ring up a different price (the 3980 I bought on accident was more $, if I remember correctly)
Yes, the price differs on some depending on the model. Ignore the ones sold by 3rd party ... just look at the ones sold by Walmart.

Back