CAFE Standards in the US and Oil Grades

I opened the link to the image you used, which took me to that site. So yes, it quite literally, when you posted it, came from that article. Are you being intentionally daft or just don't bother to actually look at the sources from which you pull?

I really do like how you came up with some random number to support whatever point it is you think you are making though, and bravo for not addressing any of the material I posted, your trolling game is really on-point today. (y)

Which article on that site though?

07030402-xgjg01e-001.png

"Engine oil viscosity, or thickness, has an effect on fuel economy and cold-weather operation (starting and oil flow).
Low-viscosity engine oils can provide improved fuel economy and cold-weather performance. When choosing an oil, consider the temperature range your vehicle will operate in before the next oil change. Then select the recommended viscosity from the chart."

It's interesting, in that the modern graph basically says the oils are all the same for upper temperature, and it's only the winter grade that's changing for the environment.

I would hazard a guess that the graphs (already deliberately not precise) are intentionally showing no upper range, it implies they're all the same which is an interpretation based on ~50c being a probably max ambient.

Either modern oils are all really good and aren't really affected the same as they used to be at max temps, or this is intentional to assist with their published figures being realised by owners.

The other possibility i see is the engines are more "adaptable" in that they're more tolerant of a thinner oil at higher temps, hence their indication that a 50 will be as appropriate as a 20 at ~50c.....

It's interesting, in that the modern graph basically says the oils are all the same for upper temperature, and it's only the winter grade that's changing for the environment.

I would hazard a guess that the graphs (already deliberately not precise) are intentionally showing no upper range, it implies they're all the same which is an interpretation based on ~50c being a probably max ambient.

Either modern oils are all really good and aren't really affected the same as they used to be at max temps, or this is intentional to assist with their published figures being realised by owners.

The other possibility i see is the engines are more "adaptable" in that they're more tolerant of a thinner oil at higher temps, hence their indication that a 50 will be as appropriate as a 20 at ~50c.....

I don't think those charts are trying to take any longer term effects into account at all, they're just based on whether you can easily start the car at lower temps. Hence the variation in lower temp limits. At high temps the car will run on any xWy oil, whether the engine will wear out 20K miles sooner or later is not their concern.

If the engine lives in temp range of 40-115F ambient, which oil should be chosen, and why?

According to the chart in post #146, any one of them. But most would probably choose a xW-30 or xW-40 because of the 115F use scenarios.
Just found the Russian manuals for the Toyota Prius and Camry.

Same language - the car may be hard to start if you use 10W-30 in extreme cold weather and suggests the use of lighter grade oil (XW-Y) in colder weather and use the chart.

Such high morals.
What about the morals of the automotive manufacture deliberately suggesting such thin oils for their own gain at the expense of the longevity of your engine? They DON'T want your car lasting long. They want it to fail just outside of warranty(marketing gimmick) so they can sell you a new one. Rinse and repeat. Vehicles have become cheap appliances. I remember when appliances, like vehicles, used to last 20+ years and now you're lucky if they last 5-10!
Corporate capitalism has one thing on their mind. How to take the most money from you as often as possible.
I refuse to be willingly scammed and cheated so others can make profit off me. No thank you. I work hard for all I own and I want it to last. Rant off 😂

What about the morals of the automotive manufacture deliberately suggesting such thin oils for their own gain at the expense of the longevity of your engine? They DON'T want your car lasting long. They want it to fail just outside of warranty(marketing gimmick) so they can sell you a new one. Rinse and repeat. Vehicles have become cheap appliances. I remember when appliances, like vehicles, used to last 20+ years and now you're lucky if they last 5-10!
Corporate capitalism has one thing on their mind. How to take the most money from you as often as possible.
I refuse to be willingly scammed and cheated so others can make profit off me. No thank you. I work hard for all I own and I want it to last. Rant off 😂

It’s a conspiracy I tell ya. The roads are lined with vehicles whose engines disintegrated due to “thin oils.”

It’s not the fault of the automakers, fault lies elsewhere.

Back