Bought the new 20,000 mile Supertech 0w20

the back of the container says it gives more sludge protection than supertech synthetic high mileage, interested to see if it has a lot more additives. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say no.

I know this motor oil meets certain certifications. The old adage "you get what you pay for". That is my thoughts. I have no doubt this is a robust oil though. Only time and data will confirm.

I know this motor oil meets certain certifications. The old adage "you get what you pay for". That is my thoughts. I have no doubt this is a robust oil though. Only time and data will confirm.
I think you are right. I have not heard of any problems with the Warren oils.
The Costco Kirkland deals are super. I have used it in high mileage cars and new cars alike.

I bought the 5w30 ST Advanced for my 2.7 Ecoboost earlier this week and did the change Wednesday. I'd run Motorcraft semi/syn since new (75,000 now) but noticed the price had crept up over $20, which seems a bit much. The Super Tech was $17.96.

I've tried two Walmarts, one is a Super Walmart or whatever they call it, and while there's lots of space on the shelf for 0W20 ST Advanced Synthetic there's none to be found. A store clerk said as soon as it's stocked it's gone.
I'm betting there's a garage charging $70 for 20K mile oil changes.

I'm betting there's a garage charging $70 for 20K mile oil changes.

My daughter couldn't make it up from CT last year when covid was full swing and Valvoline charged her almost $100 for a 0W20 oil change.

I just picked up a 20K ST 0W20 jug for this Fall's change. Total will be about $25. Easier on Dad's wallet, although now that she's engaged, I should pass the torch - but it's tough.

One question I have on this oil: Seems to me, a 20K oil would have superior heat resistance, no? I mean, its supposed to go the distance, right? But looking on the back of the label, which, yes, I know is marketing, but it only gets two stars for "extreme temp protection"? I would think even for marketing purposes it would have three or more. What am I missing here?

Attachments

• Oil.jpeg
    Oil.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 60
One question I have on this oil: Seems to me, a 20K oil would have superior heat resistance, no? I mean, its supposed to go the distance, right? But looking on the back of the label, which, yes, I know is marketing, but it only gets two stars for "extreme temp protection"? I would think even for marketing purposes it would have three or more. What am I missing here?
At this point seems to be just marketing. Really wish they'd release versions of this for Costco as well as a high mileage version.

So around $15 for the conventional (1 gallon)

$15.50 for the full synthetic
$16.00 for full synthetic high millage
$17.00 for advanced full synthetic
$17.50 for advanced full synthetic high millage ( coming soon)

Not much of a price difference. I'd love to see some voa's on these different formulas. I wonder if they use a higher refined base stock and/or more/better additives as you go up the ladder?

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3400.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 18
Synthetic oils are known for handling high temperatures without breaking down. It's what they do, among other things. I suspect that for most drivers, this advanced stuff may be overkill and the "regular synthetic" stuff is just fine... for most drivers. I will stick my neck out and say that synthetic oil is good for up to 10,000 miles depending on a few factors. So, what are your driving habits/conditions? What is your service interval? I think it's great that Supertech synthetic is available in long-life flavor, but do you need the advanced stuff?

So around $15 for the conventional (1 gallon)

$15.50 for the full synthetic
$16.00 for full synthetic high millage
$17.00 for advanced full synthetic
$17.50 for advanced full synthetic high millage ( coming soon)

Not much of a price difference. I'd love to see some voa's on these different formulas. I wonder if they use a higher refined base stock and/or more/better additives as you go up the ladder?

View attachment 61277

View attachment 61279
Why do you say 1 gallon??

We have no idea what the equivalency of "two stars" is. The more specific marketing selling point is saying its a 20k mile oil. Even if it has an asterisks recommending you stick to the car mfc recommended oci if still under warranty (said by all the majors as well).

Last edited:
Capability aside, XOM clearly did a better job at demonstrating the capability of their long drain oils via tear downs, videos, road tests. People didn't believe it. Now that ST has a 20k mile oil...................

We have no idea what the equivalency of "two stars" is. The more specific marketing selling point is saying its a 20k mile oil. Even if it has an asterisks recommending you stick to the car mfc recommended oci if still under warranty (said by all the majors as well).
I get the 20k part, just from a marketing-only point of view, you’d think they’d have touted a more robust heat prevention. When I look at the label, it tends to make me think it’s not that good of an oil, at least looking at it from a marketing point of view.

I get the 20k part, just from a marketing-only point of view, you’d think they’d have touted a more robust heat prevention. When I look at the label, it tends to make me think it’s not that good of an oil, at least looking at it from a marketing point of view.
I see your point.

Synthetic oils are known for handling high temperatures without breaking down. It's what they do, among other things. I suspect that for most drivers, this advanced stuff may be overkill and the "regular synthetic" stuff is just fine... for most drivers. I will stick my neck out and say that synthetic oil is good for up to 10,000 miles depending on a few factors. So, what are your driving habits/conditions? What is your service interval? I think it's great that Supertech synthetic is available in long-life flavor, but do you need the advanced stuff?
Vanilla SuperTech synthetic now totes as a 10k mile oil.;)

Back