Any reason Honda would deny warranty coverage on this 2019 Civic R transmission?

Car is a Honda Finance repo with 44,000 miles and 60K powertrain warranty until April. I bought it running but it wouldn't move as the clutch was worn out. Replaced the clutch and it runs great except 2nd gear is gone. I can shift into 2nd but as soon as I release the clutch, it makes awful noises and pops out of gear. This is a common weak point on these cars. Car has no engine mods. The only things changed from stock are the wheels and tires and maybe it's been lowered. Will Honda deny warranty to fix or replace the transmission? My concern is they deny right off saying it was abused, but there is no evidence of that. Or, they open it up and THEN say it was abused and no warranty, so either pay $2000 to put it back together or pay $10,000 for a new transmission.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Car is a Honda Finance repo with 44,000 miles and 60K powertrain warranty until April. I bought it running but it wouldn't move as the clutch was worn out. Replaced the clutch and it runs great except 2nd gear is gone. I can shift into 2nd but as soon as I release the clutch, it makes awful noises and pops out of gear. This is a common weak point on these cars. Car has no engine mods. The only things changed from stock are the wheels and tires and maybe it's been lowered. Will Honda deny warranty to fix or replace the transmission? My concern is they deny right off saying it was abused, but there is no evidence of that. Or, they open it up and THEN say it was abused and no warranty, so either pay $2000 to put it back together or pay $10,000 for a new transmission.

View attachment 202852

View attachment 202853
Repo, second owner. Read the contact :unsure:

Do the tires and wheels meet the standards in the owners manual?

Lowering may be an issue. READ THE CONTRACT!

I know the question was re warranty claim... but if it were me, I'd tear it apart and rebuild it (if parts were available). That way I'd be sure it was "right". I suspect you'd need a 20T press.(Harbor Freight one .... cheap).

Try the warranty and if it doesn't work buy one of these off ebay and tell them to install it for you. Those Honda type R's are hot property.View attachment 202861
Seeing that 2nd gear grind is a common issue on these transmissions, I'd just as soon take mine apart and replace the broken bits for $1000 in parts. I'd hate to install one of those and have to take it back out again.

Seeing that 2nd gear grind is a common issue on these transmissions, I'd just as soon take mine apart and replace the broken bits for $1000 in parts. I'd hate to install one of those and have to take it back out again.
Yes if that's all it cost's I would go that direction too. If you are able to do the job yourself or know a buddy that can do it for $1000.00 that's great. Otherwise a regular shop would probably be a lot more than $1000.00 with labor that's why I figured the used tranny would be a good choice even if you had to take a chance. Either way you have a great car there.

A great part of Hondas warranty decision is determined my reading the data in the engine control module, if it has been tuned, over reved or otherwise abused they may not cover it. They can get a pretty comprehensive idea of the history there. Usually a dealer can run the VIN and get a service history if it was serviced by Honda. Honda is usually somewhat generous if the vehicle hasn't been abused.

if they know the 2md gear issue and how to improve it, i would get it rebuilt with the new parts . a used trans is a used trans unless they updated it .
Absolutely get a Honda reman transmission, if possible. Well, if it's been improved/redesigned, that is. If they haven't (yet), the same issue is likely to occur. I know a (retired) Honda QA engineer and he was very involved in transmission work. Honda rebuilds them in-house and with all design updates incorporated.

When the car is repossessed, wouldn't the creditor cancel the warranty and take the refund money toward the amount owed? Especially since it's the same company.

View attachment 202852

View attachment 202853
Repos are a whole different ballgame. It's very likely that Honda will deny since its had two owners and is a repo.

No where in Honda's warranty brochure does it mention denying coverage due to repossession

But I'd tread carefully, Honda dealers I've dealt with suck so bad, you might be in for a fight

Back