VW class action lawsuit on MK7/MQB water pumps finally paid out!

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Finally...class action settlement check for my out-of-warranty water pump repair came today for my 2018 Sportwagen. Water pumps on the MK7/MQB EA888.3 4 cylinders is a thing, they all seem to leak at some point and it was tough to get dealers to repair them under warranty b/c of course they often wouldn't leak during the pressure test. Mine passed when I had mine in and there was dried coolant all over it :ROFLMAO: ...I mean they noted "water pump leak" on the multi-point inspection form HAHAHAHA under coolant. I finally had mine replaced around 73K...1K out of the 6/72 B2B warranty. The repair was around $1,300 at my indy Euro shop. CA was brought over a year ago and I jumped in with all the required forms/paperwork etc. to put in for reimbursement (settlement was max $1,150)....the settlement included extending the warranty on the water pumps for certain VINs (all MK7 Golfs/GTIs/R and some Audis) to 8/80K so I was in thereand even if not included in the CA, woudl have been able to submit to VW for reimbursement.

Staying on top of paperwork and checking in with this as well as reminding the lawfirm of the terms of the settlement periodically paid off...they had 100 days once it was approved (settled/approved about middle of this year) to get these checks out and they were late...I emailed to check on things monthly. Glad to see the checks finally going out. I actually had to submit all the paperwork twice (they must have "lost" it haha)...they don't make this easy but perseverance pays off as well as keeping everything, documents, etc. and filling everything out to a "T" including written explanations of everything. Funny one was the declaration that I followed the manufacturer's recommended service interval.....there are none for the cooling system BUT I did including my service history showing all maintenance and when I topped off the coolant noting that I used the approved VW G13 coolant or distilled water...even included the receipt for the G13. It was also better to have it done this way b/c my shop does a fantastic job plus no drama with all the modifications that could have had this punted by VW.

397292237_10159545030421723_6270174284216632800_n.jpg

Is dodging such repair responsibilities common at VW?
The issue with VAG is the requirement that the technician documents the fault, so if it is a leak you must show the leak. They don’t class dried coolant as showing the leak point. You must put a picture on a diss report that is sent back to the factory. You don’t get paid if the diss does not meet the required standard for reporting.

I will say though, with these plastic thermostat housings it is easy enough to see which part is leaking once all the charge pipes are out of the way, and even if it is currently only dried coolant just splash a bit of coolant at it a take the pic.

The latest version does seem to be much more robust. Just keep an eye on the plastic fuel rail if you have the port injectors fitted as the end caps on these can leak fuel and damage the seals on the thermostat housing.

I had a charge air cooling leaking recently, it passed the pressure test perfectly but I knew something was up, pulled the intake apart and the charge air cooler core was dripping coolant at a steady rate. Just goes to show a pressure test isn’t that reliable as a system check method. Much better to use it to just apply pressure to check components individually.

Which they studied under Honda & GM for exclusively.
As far as the emissions scandal goes, in Europe basically every manufacturer has had software updates, some with parts replacement/ add on’s to their euro 5 diesels. VAG was just the first to get caught. This doesn’t justify what they did but shows that at the time the vehicles were built the emissions regulations were not achievable whilst still meeting the power, economy and noise levels that the customers expected.

If all of the manufacturers had been honest about diesel I think we would have shunned it as a fuel for passenger vehicles a lot earlier.

The issue with VAG is the requirement that the technician documents the fault, so if it is a leak you must show the leak. They don’t class dried coolant as showing the leak point. You must put a picture on a diss report that is sent back to the factory. You don’t get paid if the diss does not meet the required standard for reporting.
Precisely. I can post the tech report when I had it in....but basically this. Unless it's actively leaking, send it out.

Back