VW class action lawsuit on MK7/MQB water pumps finally paid out!

Nice to hear. What a garbage settlement 8yrs/80k. Mine still is okay at 147k on our 2018.
What's garbage about it? 8/80k seems reasonable...at some point you will have ownership cost/stuff needs replacing.

Do you know what part leaked? Picture? Just out of interest
It's the junction between the water pump and thermostat housing. I probably have some pics somewhere, easy to see, just look under the car looking up at the front of the engine between the charge pipes....you can see if it has leaked or not.

I was happy to get a letter from VW saying my 2017 GTI water pump would be covered to 2025 or 80,000 miles. Seems more than fair to me. So far no leak in mine at 52,000 miles.
Agreed; 8/80 on a mechanical part is generous (to me)...many want things covered forever, that's not how it works. My gripe was that they were not fixing them when brought in when it was obvious they were leaking.

I was happy to get a letter from VW saying my 2017 GTI water pump would be covered to 2025 or 80,000 miles. Seems more than fair to me. So far no leak in mine at 52,000 miles.
The time is fine however the mileage should be 125k-150k miles. 80k is a little over the normal powertrain of majority of car makers.

It's the junction between the water pump and thermostat housing. I probably have some pics somewhere, easy to see, just look under the car looking up at the front of the engine between the charge pipes....you can see if it has leaked or not.
Interesting, I find it’s usually the housing where one of the coolant pipes attaches that is made from 2 pieces of plastic with a seal that leaks.

The time is fine however the mileage should be 125k-150k miles. 80k is a little over the normal powertrain of majority of car makers.
Nobody is going to do that...that is WAY outside of anything a manufacturer is going to be/should be responsible for. At some point, you fix your car on your own/stuff fails.

Never replaced a water pump on any of my vehicles 200-250k (lucky?) in 35 years owning Honda, Acura, VW, and Subaru.
Lucky. I didn’t replace water pump on VW CC with 127k and didn’t lose coolant. I had to replace water pump on Honda Pilot at 85k. It is relative. VW design is not the best. BMW i have has electric water pump. Excellent (and that is understatement) from performance perspective. But rarely goes over 100k. I replaced mine at 105k just to be prudent. No sign of failure.

Let's see...

'18 VW Sportwagen (1.8 TSI) - water pump at 73K (subject of this post)
'18 VW Atlas (3.6 VR6) - water pump at 37K (warranty)
'00 VW Jetta - (2.0) - water pump around 130K if memory serves
3 Hondas - no issues
2 Toyotas - no issues
2 Fords - no issues

VWs and water pumps....like peas and carrots! Really, BMWs had a thing for the entire cooling system being effectively a maintenance items if you kept them long enough (E36/46, E39). Whatever....love German cars!

When these leak can you see a noticeable drop in the reservoir, or is it only a small leak noticed by checking the housing? Curious what to look for as I monitor my 2019.

When these leak can you see a noticeable drop in the reservoir, or is it only a small leak noticed by checking the housing? Curious what to look for as I monitor my 2019.
Yes for sure. Loss of coolant, smelling coolant are the big ones. Which car is this?

Nobody is going to do that...that is WAY outside of anything a manufacturer is going to be/should be responsible for. At some point, you fix your car on your own/stuff fails.
I missed the coverage(8yrs/125k) however recent part failure on our 2018 Tiguan ignition harness($900/labor & parts).

In my past Acura MDX and even Subaru common failed parts would get extended to 7-8yr/125k typically like wheel bearings, car convertors, modules etc.

Back