Do Lifetime Warranties On Auto Parts Really Make Sense?

What would an average 7 to 10 year old car need to stay mobile for a lifetime? At least over the average 'driving' lifetime for people like us?

About 10 batteries, 4 or 5 catalytic converters, 3 transmissions, 3 or 4 engines, maybe 50 or so miscellaneous parts ranging from sensors and suspension components to modules that are stockpiled in a backroom somewhere. Throw in a frame that would probably give out if it wasn't located in a rust-free climate with smooth roads, and, well, a brutally terminal conclusion becomes all too obvious.

Cars can't last like people do. If they could, most owners would find a way to mess them up anyhow.

That's why I'm struggling with the value of lifetime parts. I realize that for 98% of the people out there, a lifetime warranty, even a limited one, is just a marketing ploy designed to make people believe that it's a quality part. That vehicle will almost always be owned for years instead of decades. So the risk of offering it for a lifetime isn't all that much.

On the other hand how often do you ever have to replace the same part more than twice? Oil, filters, brakes, batteries, fluids, and certain belts will definitely make what amounts to a short list. But all those parts don't add up to much when you're looking strictly at the cost of the part. We're talking maybe around $700 to $900 on most vehicles over a 15 year span.

So what's the real value of a lifetime part beyond the 'feel good' marketing? Isn't it smarter to just buy an overengineered part? Such as a radiator with an inch thickness vs. the cheap Ebay 5/8 inch plastic version? Or an alternator that is professionally rebuilt vs. the limited lifetime one you get from the auto parts store?

I get how 'lifetime' works in the rarified European car owner world that is FCP Euro. But most people aren't auto enthusiasts. They're frugalists at best, abusers and neglecters at the very worst.

So what's the real value of a lifetime part beyond the 'feel good' marketing?

I've realised how long warranties work a while ago. Sell the cheapest junk for a big enough profit so you can afford the warranty replacements and still come out ahead. All that really matters is the impression (or illusion) of quality.

Most of these lifetime warranties (with the exception of FCP Euro) are on cheap POS remanufactured parts. The companies selling these parts know the car will likely change hands or be totaled before the warranty is ever used.
I’m neutral to FCP and have purchased a fair amount of 335i parts from them. When the BMW dealer ripped out my brake sensor wire doing a 4 wheel alignment, it was covered by FCP under the lifetime warranty (long story dealer denied until BBB dropped from A+ to C-). But “insurance” is normally factored in to the price. Or, it’s used to get the sale. But again, generally a lifetime warranty is not that valuable…again times have changed I’ve bought 2 factory extended warranties on cars and both were losing propositions. But products are generally becoming more disposable so who knows. Maybe Doug D’s way is the new one.

Most of these lifetime warranties (with the exception of FCP Euro) are on cheap POS remanufactured parts. The companies selling these parts know the car will likely change hands or be totaled before the warranty is ever used.
I must be the exception. :D

. . .

So what's the real value of a lifetime part beyond the 'feel good' marketing?

I would say, it depends. If you are referring to parts that are built with lifetime warranty offers in mind, for the chain auto stores like Autozone, O'Reilly and such, I think these parts aren't worth it. They are junk, and you would be better off spending the extra $$ to get a quality part, that will give you the performance you want.

But if you are buying an OE or OEM part, and you can buy it from a place that offers a lifetime warranty for about the same $$ as elsewhere, then why not? Perhaps you will never need the warranty. But if you do, it is definitely worth having.

Exactly what I was thinking. There are a few businesses like FCP Euro that offer lifetime warranties on all their parts. Their prices are competitive. So it is smart to buy from these places.

It does to me as long as it is store brand, I kept copies of receipt and phone number I provided to the store. There is one incident the warranty wasn't honored, the store changed brand of shocks from Gabriel to Monroe.

I remember running across a Trak Auto (remember them?) receipt in my dad's garage talking about their "nationwide warranty".

At the time, from what I recall, Trak Auto only had locations in the Washington DC, Chicago, and LA metro areas. But I guess that's "nationwide".

Whatever "lifetime" warranties Trak Auto offered expired when they went bankrupt.

If the OEM or aftermarket supplier does not make the part any longer, then the lifetime warranty is kaput. Found that in my experience in OEM supplier position and also trying to get coverage on a bathroom faucet with "lifetime" coverage.

The titanium I have in my right ankle and also my spine should last a long time. I hope.

Some guys keep their stuff alive for a long time. I think on certain things like ball joints, some u-joints, wheel bearings, brake pads and shoes it can make sense. D44 front axles are common around here and they eat ball joints and u-joints just because they're under-sized for even regular use, much less minor abuse.

But you pay an insurance premium when you buy parts at the places that offer a LT warranty, which is why they're double or triple the cost of online. So in most cases you're better off to buy higher quality for less online.

My Saturn enjoyed a new tie rod end and muffler thanks to lifetime warranties. No hassles, either.

I surely paid for it, the TRE was $61 back in 2003! I'd get something off rockauto for under $20 now, if I know myself, and I do.

I remember running across a Trak Auto (remember them?) receipt in my dad's garage talking about their "nationwide warranty".

The Midwestern locations were closed, and the leases for 55 stores in Northern Virginia, Washington D.C. and eastern Maryland were assumed by Advance Auto Parts in 2002, which subsequently converted them to its brand.

You won't find very many lifetime parts for cars like my 65 VW beetle. They just know that those owners are going to keep them a long time. I still remember the Midas muffler ad where the guy comes in with his Model A ford for his umpteenth muffler replacement.

You won't find very many lifetime parts for cars like my 65 VW beetle. They just know that those owners are going to keep them a long time. I still remember the Midas muffler ad where the guy comes in with his Model A ford for his umpteenth muffler replacement.
Muffler shops...haha...just not a thing anymore. I remember my mom's 87 Camry getting one every year from Meineke. Of course labor and tailpipe were extra...

The Midwestern locations were closed, and the leases for 55 stores in Northern Virginia, Washington D.C. and eastern Maryland were assumed by Advance Auto Parts in 2002, which subsequently converted them to its brand.

I remember going into a Northern VA Track Auto to get a brakelight bulb around that time, the store looked like it'd been ransacked. I didn't know they were going out of business. They didn't have any brakelight bulbs.

About a year later they all became Advance Auto Parts stores.

I remember going into a Northern VA Track Auto to get a brakelight bulb around that time, the store looked like it'd been ransacked. I didn't know they were going out of business. They didn't have any brakelight bulbs.

About a year later they all became Advance Auto Parts stores.
Same. Lived in NOVA at that time and remember Trak Auto.

At the time, from what I recall, Trak Auto only had locations in the Washington DC, Chicago, and LA metro areas. But I guess that's "nationwide".

Whatever "lifetime" warranties Trak Auto offered expired when they went bankrupt.
The one I used to shop at stuck around for about another decade.... Unfortunately it looked like this:

G0Wuke.jpg

Back