Phobia of working under a car on jack stands

In addition to the wheel chocks and jackstands, I use the floor jack itself as a safety backup.

If only jacking 1 end, wheel chocks on non-lifted axle, jack up car, place both jacks under, and slowly lower onto jackstands until they bear the load. Then I'll re-angle the jack into a position where it's not in the way and pump it up a little so that it is a backup that is barely taking any load. If jacking both ends, same thing, but with 4 jackstands and 2 floorjacks in backup mode total (assuming the front sub-frame or rear diff jack locations do not block what I am working on).

I've used cinder blocks under a car and they can, AND DID, disintegrate and the car fell down. I am alive to tell about it. It was a small car.

Luckily I wasn't under it at the time. It was hard afterwards getting the car back up in the air to use jack stands. I was really shook up.

NEVER USE CINDER BLOCKS. THEY SHATTER.

After you get the car on jack stands, throw everything you got lying around underneath the car with you.

Don't put any weight on them, they just need to be taller off the ground that you will be. If the jack stands fail the car will hopefully land on those and you can just crawl out. Whatever you got. The wheels for sure, that's an easy one. Maybe more cinder blocks if you have those available. Jacks you aren't using, a mini fridge, whatever, throw it all under there.

I've used cinder blocks under a car and they can, AND DID, disintegrate and the car fell down. I am alive to tell about it. It was a small car.

Luckily I wasn't under it at the time. It was hard afterwards getting the car back up in the air to use jack stands. I was really shook up.

NEVER USE CINDER BLOCKS. THEY SHATTER.
I think that makes the point of failure mode & effects …
Poorly made/supported jack stands won’t fail slowly …

Back