Poor quality work when brake work done; Nasty surprise last night

I hope, for the sake of the shop's other customers, that it is was just an honest mistake. I've left an oil cap off to find a nice mess a couple of blocks down the road.
Well done straightening it out. By the way, if you contacted them, what did the shop say about their mistake?

Been thinking about a good weekend to spend doing some maintenance on the Canyon. Mainly a coolant flush and replace the serpentine belt, at 8 years and 75,000 miles, I figure it's time. I stepped outside last night in the dark with my flashlight, raised the hood to look at the condition of the serpentine belt, and heard the sound of something plastic falling. I glanced toward the firewall where the sound came from to see that the brake fluid reservoir had no cap on it. Looking closer, I found it laying on the cowl cover. I guess the headliner got slammed on it and it was temporarily stuck there. I guess I'm lucky it didn't get lost. Naturally, there was fluid on some things below the reservoir, and the fluid in the reservoir was very brown. I struggled to remember the last time I was even under the hood of the truck, because it hasn't really been driven much lately, and I had just changed the oil the first weekend in June. It has made a couple of 160 mi round trips to my mother-in-law's farm in August and September. It got a brake job during the second week of June, and it occurred to me that I haven't been under the hood since then. The fine folks at Caliber Auto Repair left it off when they did the brake job. In June. So I immediately got out the compressor and my vacuum evacuator and emptied the reservoir, and refilled with some fresh DOT 4.

I just don't know where to turn for competent auto service anymore. The shop that's been handling my Shadow's issues really stubbed their toe recently, keeping the car for nearly 2 months battling a fuel leak, with all sorts of excuses of why they can't get to it, and why they're having so much trouble fixing a simple issue. Now the folks that I paid good money for a brake job can't be bothered to replace the brake fluid reservoir cap. I have a hard time justifying $195 an hour for this level of incompetence. Do I need to just buy my own shop with a lift and tools and do everything myself? It's really looking that way.

Got out in the garage after a full day's work today and did a brake fluid swap on the truck, so as far as I can tell, no harm done. It's just the principal of the thing. Is it really this difficult to get good service anymore? I feel like I'm throwing money out the window on people that don't deserve the wage they're getting.
A couple of shops near me used to be great. The one 30 minutes away used to be really reasonable but now that they are busy have really raised prices. The other one near me the owner retired and sold it to two Employees working there. I had brake work done and the front desk lady tried to get me to pay for front rotors as they were rusty. I told her yeah my car sat for a while cast iron rotors do that. Really rubbed me the wrong way. They also couldn't figure out the rough Idle while warm. I had to dig and came to the conclusion of one or two things while on a Neon Forum. And they are professional mechanics?

But yet they are the largest body shops nationally........with many locations. I refuse to believe that all their work is subpar.
I was looking at Caliber to replace my bumper and the customer experience at my location were best described as general apathy.

I was looking at Caliber to replace my bumper and the customer experience at my location were best described as general apathy.
That is about what we have around here. They have grown to be the largest body shop chain not because they are good, but because a large corporation is trying to corner the market. They have been buying up independent shops much like corporate has been doing in other areas. We are morphing into a system where smaller business are becoming less common.

People are missing one big thing, the automotive industry has lost many good techs due to the pay and working conditions in the automotiverepair industry. I left over 15 years ago, I make an hourly wage now and am eligible for overtime pay after 40 hours, my work is easier and I don't have to buy a single tool.

I wouldn't even consider going back to "turning wrenches" for less than 60 an hour flat rate, and even then I really would have to think about it. Honestly it would probably take 100 an hour for me to go back to it if the benefits were not what I have now, and my benefits now are not the best but definitely better than what I ever had as an auto tech.

I can only imagine the tool costs now compared to 20 years ago and it was rough then.

Its not hard to find work in a factory around here as a machine operator for 30 an hour, and the benefits are typically better than in the automotive repair industry, the work much easier on body and mind. Even if a tech was making 40 an hour flat rate they would be better off financially as a machine operator in a factory and much better off as an industrial Maintenance tech.

Many of the good techs get fed up and bail and go on to industrial maintenance or about anything else and end up with less stress and better pay/benefits. This is why its hard to get good service! Best bet may be a decent small independent shop where the owner is there and also is doing some of the work and keeps an eye on things but even that is no guarantee.

Last edited:
Blame it on the "thing" we can't mention here that happened a couple years ago.. Almost seems like the so-called "professionals" took that as an excuse to perform even worse work than they had before that "thing"..

Absolutely! I know of two seasoned decent auto techs that are no longer with us due to the "thing", and I don't know that many auto techs anymore. I am sure the industry lost countless of decent seasoned techs because of that thing.

That knowledge that a seasoned tech has takes years to replace and even longer if you lose the seasoned tech in a shop and its the blind leading the blind.

I love how everything can nowadays be blamed on the thing.

So is it just my imagination or was this forum full of stories of bad service and bad work way before the “thing”?
You would be correct Sir. Its paranoia run rampant to turn your vehicle over to anyone else on here. Well...it's a combination of paranoia and just being plan cheap!

You would be correct Sir. Its paranoia run rampant to turn your vehicle over to anyone else on here. Well...it's a combination of paranoia and just being plan cheap!
I think the cheap part is a lot bigger. People expect to pay bottom dollar but receive top treatment. I can't even count how many posts here go something like this: "my mechanic wants $500 for a brake job, but I can get them for $150 from RA, is he trying to scam me?"

It's ridiculous expectations and this is from people on here that at least have some sort of idea what's involved with working on cars. Imagine dealing with normies :eek:

I think the cheap part is a lot bigger. People expect to pay bottom dollar but receive top treatment. I can't even count how many posts here go something like this: "my mechanic wants $500 for a brake job, but I can get them for $150 from RA, is he trying to scam me?"

It's ridiculous expectations and this is from people on here that at least have some sort of idea what's involved with working on cars. Imagine dealing with normies :eek:
There's a great shop (not cheap at all); I was there when a customer was crying about the price. I told him, "OK, what don't you buy $20K worth of tools, put a lift in your garage and get a combined hundreds of years of knowledge?"

By the way, good mechanics are prized in Silicon Valley.

We have Caliber auto care here in San Antonio, they are not a cheap shop either, they are a bit on the bougee side. Sorry to here about such imcompetence, and I bet you paid a fortune for their mis-service.

Part of the problem is that customers really have no idea how to price out the amount of labor for a job so they think the shop is scamming them which in some cases it is. In the BMW world I've seen quotes where the shop was double dipping on labor. For example adding labor ($100) to change the oil on top of the labor to replace an oil pan gasket where draining the oil is part of the process of changing the gasket. So the customer is getting charged $100 in labor to pour a few bottles of oil? I've also seen quotes where they markup an OE/Aftermarket part well above the retail price of a genuine part. Customer paying $40 for a $15 Elring gasket.

On one hand I understand that running a business is expensive. There's more to it than just the technician and the parts. Everything has overhead and dealerships have the greatest amount.

re
People get upset at $150+ an hour labor charges these days. I am starting to get the impression that it is not so easy to hire competent techs at the salary levels needed to keep the hourly labor charge all that much lower and still make it a profitable shop with all of the other expenses like property taxes, various insurance costs (which have gone through the roof in some places) and a host of other expenses which have all seen the impact of inflation.

Of course there are a ton of DIY posters that could infact do high quality work. Some have posted that they would need more than the typical tech's salary to do that quality work.

But yet they are the largest body shops nationally........with many locations. I refuse to believe that all their work is subpar.
They are horrible and they are in contract with the insurance companies - that is why they are so big.

There's a great shop (not cheap at all); I was there when a customer was crying about the price. I told him, "OK, what don't you buy $20K worth of tools, put a lift in your garage and get a combined hundreds of years of knowledge?"

By the way, good mechanics are prized in Silicon Valley.
It's such a complicated matter though. You don't need a $1000 worth of tools to do oil changes or most brake jobs, and smart consumers have realized that and are doing the work themselves.

There are plenty of services that should cost less, but don't, because the revenue structure forces dealerships to rob peter to pay paul.

The other issue is that society has traditionally viewed auto techs as a lower middle class (or lower) occupation - and base their pricing expectations on this belief. In many major metropolitan areas now, auto techs are becoming a solid middle class occupation and as such, the labor rates have to increase in order to pay those salaries.

Stuff like this is why I always double check my work. One day i put a motor mount in a Honda, put it all together, and forgot to reinstall the hood latch and had to take apart the plastic again. Another time I forgot to put the engine cover back and i didn't double check that so I got a concerned phone call asking where the cover went. At least it was something unnecessary like an engine cover. If I forgot a brake fluid or oil cap and the customer called about it i would probably have PTSD lol. But most mechanics just don't care because it's not their car. I'm the opposite, it's just my car if I mess something up it's not hurting someone else

Back