U-haul tow dolly without brakes?

The dolly could be considered a "towing accessory" that doesn't need a license plate, but the car on it, does, as its axle, at least its rear one, is on the pavement.
From what I read years ago, as long as it's rigidly attached to the tow vehicle it shouldn't need a license plate. Having used mine for over 30 years, I've never been stopped, but your location may differ.

Last fall I used a UHaul tow dolly behind a '23 Tundra half ton to transport a VW Tdi Sportwagen from Dallas, TX to Maine - about 2000 miles. The dolly towed great (better than the UHaul auto transport trailers I have used in the past) and was MUCH lighter than the trailer and the whole rig was more aerodynamically efficient, which made for really excellent mileage on such a long trip with a decent tow-load. One way rental for the dolly was much cheaper than the trailer also.

As Cujet mentioned earlier, downside is virtually no ability to back up (extremely short distances only with frequent "resets") because of the two pivot points and (not meaningful) additional wear on the rear tires of the vehicle being towed. I had no issue with braking as I typically leave more space from the vehicle in front and the Tundra has excellent brakes.

If you have a tight timeline, take your own trailer just to avoid possible issues. IF it is in good shape. Tires, bearings, etc.
I just replaced my trailer tires in 2021 but it’s been a while since I did the bearings. One of the reasons I’m thinking about the U-haul is that it would be worth $50 to put off packing four sets of bearings until a convenient time.

I would much rather have a bad bearing/hub/tire with a U-haul trailer than with one I’m responsible for repairing and getting home on my own.

That was just for a short distance to get it home from the dealer after they took the engine apart and wouldn't put it back together under warranty.
I was wondering about that. Isn’t pulling a RWD backwards like that is asking a lot of the steering column lock?

In my area, in the last few years, alot of local PD's have all started having a cop well trained in the DOT laws because the fines they can write are much much much higher.

I recently dragged home my brother’s 2014 Chrysler Town & Country minivan on a U-Haul tow dolly. I did a one-way rental across the state and was considering the full trailer, but in the end chose the dolly.

I used my mom’s 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi to bring it back. No issues, just needed to extend braking and keep reasonable speed.

I have a full car trailer, but the situation was either rent and turn in up here, or drive back, get my trailer, go back, and tow it again. It’s 300 miles and wasn’t worth the fuel costs.

The only issue I had was whoever rented the tow dolly before didn’t understand how the tie down strap works, and locked it onto itself. A lot of manipulation, a pliers, and patience were needed to undo their mess. That’s the risk you take.

I might be buying a car out of state. I’ve played around with the idea of just driving my truck and towing it home rather than flying in and driving the vehicle. I have my own 16 foot car hauler with electric brakes but I’m being seduced by the idea of a one-way U-haul dolly rental from both a convenience and liability standpoint. I’ve never towed a car on a dolly and it appears neither the U-haul dolly nor their auto transporter have brakes other than a hydraulic surge brake on the flat trailer. My Titan has huge brakes and has never had any problems stopping my fishing boat, and since I see cars on dollys all the time I assume it’s not a problem.

How does pulling the typical compact car on a dolly feel compared to towing other things like a heavy boat or a compact tractor? How hard are they to stop?
Don't certain states jurisdictions require trailer brakes over a certain weight?

I only had to go a short distance in this case. I suppose buying out of state would be doable too.
No, it wouldn’t be doable. It would be foolish and dangerous.

When towing a car flat, all 4 wheels on the ground, you can pull it forward, but you cannot back up, or the front wheels will go full lock one direction or the other, that’s because the rake/trail in the front suspension keeps it stable when moving forward, but when moving in the opposite direction, i.e. backwards, the front wheels are inherently unstable. I’ve towed cars with all four wheels on the ground. I’ve seen this.

So, a car towed in reverse with the front wheels on the ground is inherently unstable.

Tying down the steering wheel might keep them from going full lock one direction or the other, but you’re fighting against the geometry of the front suspension. If your restraining method loosens, moves a bit, even, then you’re dragging the car with the front wheels partially deflected, and even more strain on your tie-down, not to mention a car that is swung out to the left or right of the two vehicle.

This is a recipe for disaster. Don’t set something up to be towed a long way, at high speed, when it is inherently unstable.

Don't certain states jurisdictions require trailer brakes over a certain weight?
Yes, I can tell you for sure that IL anything over 3K gross requires trailer brakes. And then they have all their wonderful weight limits and requirements that you also have to watch out for as well. There are some exceptions for farm vehicles and the like during planting/harvest season but the IL state police love to get people as they come into the state at the weigh station on the Interstates. Like usual, IL is state to avoid for so many reasons.

When we got our current truck from two states away, I used the uhaul full trailer to tow our family car (about 4000 pounds) home, about 300 miles. It was a pleasant experience. The trailer pulled easy. The uhaul trailers are really well thought out. The hydro surge brakes seemed to work really well. I would not hesitate to do it again.

The only real downside is that you have to pull the car up to the front wheel bumpers, which gives you no ability to manipulate tongue weight. In my case, it didn't matter as we had sufficient truck.

Back