Towing with a U-haul

Are you concerned that Uhaul won't let your rent it if you say it's a 47? Or that its at the capacity of the truck? The automakers are pretty conservative in their tow ratings in the U.S. for liability reasons, so if you're at the max capacity, you should be fine.
That's what I'm wondering, if their info says "not recommended" and it's their equipment, are they not going to rent it? While I may not be completely in favor of towing at the limit, it only has to make one 2000 mile trip.

Your truck can barely tow this hypothetically. I wouldnt do it because 1) its too far 2) too risky 3) expensive 4) not a big enough truck to do it safely 5) you can probably get quotes from uship that eliminate 1-4.

Looking at the possibility of moving my dad’s 1947 Lincoln coupe from Arizona to Ohio. Dad’s had some health issues lately, and my sisters are thinking we may have to look at assisted living for mom and dad soon. My sisters and I agree we want to keep the car in the family and don’t want to see it junked or turned into a street rod.. He has a surge brake equipped tow bar for it, and I think I remember the steps to attach it. While my truck could tow it (car weighs 4300 pounds) the wife and I are thinking fly out, rent a U-haul, and we can more conveniently carry the couple crates of spare parts he has for it in the U-haul. I heard a rumor that U-haul only wants you towing U-haul equipment, but the car is too heavy for their car dolly.
I have an auction list at all times with hundreds of cars on it at all times. I just give a vin number for a car that will fit the larger flat trailer (the type all four wheels fit on) and they will rent it to you. Then load your car of choice on it (of course paying attention to the legalities on weights GVRW)

Welp, looks like we're committed to doing this. Mom and dad will probably be looking at moving into assisted living in the near future. Talked to my older sister, and she confirmed that it would be desirable to move the car sometime this fall. Talked to dad and he's cool with me taking it. Got a U-haul car hauler reserved, though I had to fudge it and said that we're hauling a 1997 Lincoln Continental. Dad confirmed the car is having ignition problems and it's not running at the moment. All the correspondence from U-haul just says they have to inspect my truck to make sure it can tow their trailer. Plan B if they nix it is get a 30-day tag for it, which is possible, and use dad's towbar.

Welp, looks like we're committed to doing this. Mom and dad will probably be looking at moving into assisted living in the near future. Talked to my older sister, and she confirmed that it would be desirable to move the car sometime this fall. Talked to dad and he's cool with me taking it. Got a U-haul car hauler reserved, though I had to fudge it and said that we're hauling a 1997 Lincoln Continental. Dad confirmed the car is having ignition problems and it's not running at the moment. All the correspondence from U-haul just says they have to inspect my truck to make sure it can tow their trailer. Plan B if they nix it is get a 30-day tag for it, which is possible, and use dad's towbar.
I have rented dozens of uhaul car haulers all across the US. The inspection is if the ball is the correct size, and if the lights work. That is it.

I still strongly recommend you look at having a transporter haul to you with excess space. The issue of non running does make the process of a auto transporter a lot more complicated and pricey.

Feel free to pm me for the auto transporter, I have a subscription to central dispatch.

I've rented those Uhaul transport trailers twice. The trailers are good, but the trailer brakes did not work on either trailer I rented. I know a couple other people who have rented them and said the same thing about the trailer brakes not working, even with a properly functioning trailer brake controller. I wouldn't wanna use one of those trailers for anything more than a local tow myself.
Did they have electric brakes? Every uhal trailer I've ever rented had hydraulic surge brakes

Did they have electric brakes? Every uhal trailer I've ever rented had hydraulic surge brakes
They were supposed to, but they never worked either time I rented a trailer. I know my trailer brake controller supplies power to the correct pin on my 7 way. I don't know how they think that's OK to rent people transport trailers that can weigh close to 8,000 pounds with a full size vehicle and the trailer and no working trailer brakes when you hit the brakes. The last time I rented one, the trailer was about 2,000 pounds or so and the mini truck I towed was about 3,500. I had a hard time stopping that and my truck has excellent brakes.

They were supposed to, but they never worked either time I rented a trailer. I know my trailer brake controller supplies power to the correct pin on my 7 way. I don't know how they think that's OK to rent people transport trailers that can weigh close to 8,000 pounds with a full size vehicle and the trailer and no working trailer brakes when you hit the brakes. The last time I rented one, the trailer was about 2,000 pounds or so and the mini truck I towed was about 3,500. I had a hard time stopping that and my truck has excellent brakes.

I have never seen a U haul trailer with electric brakes. They all have surge brakes.

Last edited:
Okay this is interesting.
Hand winch with a supplemental chain or hd strap, longer the better.
Supplemental HD tie downs front and rear,
air pump in case the tires are flat. Hopefully it has tires.
Stop after 15 minutes, retighten all straps. Stop every hour for a safety check.

I hope your trailer will have D rated tires but it’s not a guarantee. They don’t have spare tires. TBH, buy one and bring it with you, that is a really long tow drive. Bottle jack at a minimum and 19/21 sockets, cant remember which ones. That curb weight should be ok. Buy the insurance they offer.

Good luck sir.

Last edited:
Yeah idk about that man. Every uhaul I've ever seen has been a 4 pin connector with hydraulic brakes

🤷‍♂️Yeah idk about that man. Every uhaul I've ever seen has been a 4 pin connector with hydraulic brakes
Same. I replaced the actuator/coupler on mine as well as a bent axle. Rented several before owning, always hydraulic surge brakes, always 4 pin. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_0626.jpeg

OP, also factor in Uhaul trailers do not have reverse lockout solenoids so give yourself time to plan, and plenty of room when parking.

Okay this is interesting.
Hand winch with a supplemental chain or hd strap, longer the better.
Supplemental HD tie downs front and rear,
air pump in case the tires are flat. Hopefully it has tires.
Stop after 15 minutes, retighten all straps. Stop every hour for a safety check.

I hope your trailer will have D rated tires but it’s not a guarantee. They don’t have spare tires. TBH, buy one and bring it with you, that is a really long tow drive. Bottle jack at a minimum and 19/21 sockets, cant remember which ones. That curb weight should be ok. Buy the insurance they offer.

Good luck sir.

Some of them are 5 and some are 6 lug. Definitely a good recommendation, though. Any Uhaul transporter I've rented had 81MPH D rated tires on it but some were way older than I felt comfortable with!

Back