5w30 in a car spec for 0w16

Does it have the same engine? 1.8 2zr fxe?

It does not; The Gen2 prius specified 5W-30 but later years the engine was used in the Prius C and specified 0w-20;

It is just an indicator that different viscosities have been indicated by the mfg for the exact same engine;

If this were me, i would use 0w-16 for warranty "path of least resistance" It really isn't that hard; available @ Wally World or via numerous online retailers.

Despite recommendations to the contrary 10K is a very reasonable OCI for this vehicle; I run 15K OCI in my prius which is 3x the original mfg interval

What I'm finding hard to understand is, in the owners manual it reads to use 0W20 oil if 0W16 is not available. Then, next OCI, switch back to 0W16. WHY? If 0W20 was okay for one OCI, why not continue to use it? :unsure: 🤷‍♂️
CAFE. Toyota doesn’t word things with use X exclusively or damage may result.

Also, the Prius is still using the 2ZR-FXE with a fixed volume oil pump. The new Dynamic Force M20A/A25A engines use a variable volume oil pump and are designed around 0W-16, same wording about using 0W-20 if the recommended oil isn’t available. But there’s two different oil filters called for for both weights of oil in the parts catalog.

^^^ Variable displacement oil pumps hardly save any parasitic pumping HP, especially at lower RPM where engines spend most of their running time. They are used of course to try and achieve CAFE goals, and more complication than they are worth.

CAFE. Toyota doesn’t word things with use X exclusively or damage may result.

Also, the Prius is still using the 2ZR-FXE with a fixed volume oil pump. The new Dynamic Force M20A/A25A engines use a variable volume oil pump and are designed around 0W-16, same wording about using 0W-20 if the recommended oil isn’t available. But there’s two different oil filters called for for both weights of oil in the parts catalog.
The "CAFE Argument" is trending towards becoming a red herring.

When BITOG talks about "what they do in other countries," 0W8 in Japan is not mentioned.

General, archaic thinking is not relevant to a Prius Prime, even with its particular oil pump, one generation behind mine.

^^^ Variable displacement oil pumps hardly save any parasitic pumping HP, especially at lower RPM where engines spend most of their running time. They are used of course to try and achieve CAFE goals, and more complication than they are worth.
Did you watch the video ?

Toyota is dialed in.

Toyota is dialed in.
had my first one on a GM in 2013 … 145k miles and traded … and a 2014 Ford now at 155k … my 2017 GM 5.3L has one and my 2020 3.6L Jeep has one. They are here to stay … cloud shouting will not change that …

Toyota is dialed in.
Of course I watched the video. I'm simply saying variable displacement oil pumps are more complicated than they are worth, regardless of how "dialed" they are. Run some hydraulic pumping HP equation senarios and you'll see they save way less pumping HP than people think, mostly at lower engine RPM when the oil flow is low to start with. Glad none of my vehicles have one.

Of course I watched the video. I'm simply saying variable displacement oil pumps are more complicated than they are worth, regardless of how "dialed" they are. Run some hydraulic pumping HP equation senarios and you'll see they save way less pumping HP than people think, mostly at lower engine RPM when the oil flow is low to start with. Glad none of my vehicles have one.
I think dozens of automotive engineers have already run these models and bench tests …
Regardless - you’d have a hard time buying anything without these pumps …

My 2019 Lexus UX 250h has 41% thermal efficiency.

It was one of Ward's Best Engines of the Year.

I am not shouting in the clouds here, just trying to update some of BITOG's thinking.

I think dozens of automotive engineers have already run these models and bench tests …
Regardless - you’d have a hard time buying anything without these pumps …
Of course the engineers have, and probably anything that saves 0.05 or more MPG to meet CAFE gets the green light for implementation. And yes, they are becoming more popular because of the strive to meet CAFE goals.

Of course the engineers have, and anything that saves 0.05 or more MPG to meet CAFE gets the green light for implementation.
That’s just your same old CAFE narrative … how many times have I pointed out this:
I stomp the gas and before the RPM increases I’m instantly at maximum oil pressure/volume because the pump shifted. That is when the engine Is loaded up trying to bring lots of mass to a new speed …
They do more than save fuel … demand and supply system … they also have supported the move to more and more engines having piston jets and associated oil coolers … ECM has the software to manage these things …

That’s just your same old CAFE narrative …
Just pointing out that CAFE is the driver for the use of variable displacement oil pumps.

how many times have I pointed out this:
I stomp the gas and before the RPM increases I’m instantly at maximum oil pressure/volume because the pump shifted. That is when the engine Is loaded up trying to bring lots of mass to a new speed …
They do more than save fuel … demand and supply system … they also have supported the move to more and more engines having piston jets and associated oil coolers … ECM has the software to manage these things …
And how is that better when it's a more complicated system (especially if computer controlled) and supplying less oil flow at higher RPM (to save 0.05 MPG) than an old fashion PD oil pump? I'd rather have a bit too much oil flow going through the oiling system than "just enough". Same with viscosity and HTHS viscosity/MOFT.

Last edited:
Just pointing out that CAFE is the driver for the use of variable displacement oil pumps.

And how is that better when it's a more complicated system (especially if computer controlled) and supplying less oil flow at higher RPM (to save 0.05 MPG) than an old fashion PD oil pump?
It’s not less flow at high RPM … These pumps no longer have a compromised output …

It’s not less flow at high RPM … These pumps no longer have a compromised output …
How do you know it's not less? If the oil pressure at say 3000+ RPM is lower than it would be with an old fashion PD pump on the same engine with the same oil viscosity, then the flow would be less.

If it's not less, than what's the point of even having a variable flow pump?

How do you know it's not less? If the oil pressure at say 4000 RPM is lower than it would be with an old fashion PD pump on the same engine with the same oil viscosity, then the flow would be less.

If it's not less than what's the point of even having a variable flow pump?
Again - I get max pressure before the RPM increase … it is there FOR the RPM increase.
For example I get stuck behind a vehicle doing 55 on a 70 … engine RPM and oil output are both low … all it needs. I start to pass and it shifts high output instantly for that event - stays high … then only drops back because the mass is now moving easier at 70 mph than it did when I started to pass. These pumps also don’t waste as much flow via a PRV that lubes nothing - (you may not be getting all you think either)
Why…? An old style pump has to be sized for worst case … a variable pump for worst case and minimum both …
and then the ECM will use various flow as part of temperature management … much needed in GDI and turbo engines

Again - I get max pressure before the RPM increase … it is there FOR the RPM increase.
For example I get stuck behind a vehicle doing 55 on a 70 … engine RPM and oil output are both low … all it needs. I start to pass and it shifts high output instantly for that event - stays high … then only drops back because the mass is now moving easier at 70 mph than it did when I started to pass. These pumps also don’t waste as much flow via a PRV that lubes nothing - (you may not be getting all you think either)
Why…? An old style pump has to be sized for worst case … a variable pump for worst case and minimum both …
and then the ECM will use various flow as part of temperature management … much needed in GDI and turbo engines
Variable pumps have a PRV too, which might be set lower as part if their "savings" scheme. So just as I said before, they only save a miniscule amount of pumping HP at low RPM where they are cutting back flow that would already be relatively low to begin with on an old fashion pump. All for the sake to meet CAFE by flowing as low as possible without causing engine damage. That combined with low HTHS oil (for more fuel savings) makes it two things operating closer to the lower operating limits. No thanks, I'd rather have more buffer. ;)

Back