5w30 in a car spec for 0w16

I just got a 21 Prius prime. It has the 2zrfxe engine.
Owners manual recommends 0w16, my question is would 5w30 Pennzoil synthetic be a better choice for longevity?
In the manual it states " an oil with a higher viscosity ( one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

I'm not concerned about losing a few miles to a tank of fuel. I just don't want to put oil that is too thick if it may hurt the engine. I have read other countries allow thicker oils for the same engine, I don't know if the US model prime has a different oil pump that only will work with thin oil.

Owners manual recommends 0w16, my question is would 5w30 Pennzoil synthetic be a better choice for longevity?
In the manual it states " an oil with a higher viscosity ( one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

I'm not concerned about losing a few miles to a tank of fuel. I just don't want to put oil that is too thick if it may hurt the engine. I have read other countries allow thicker oils for the same engine, I don't know if the US model prime has a different oil pump that only will work with thin oil.
That prius was designed to run on 0w16 don’t you dare run a thick 5w30 in there . You might set off cel and have possible cam phaser problems . M1 AFE 0w16 is more than up to the task in protecting your Prius

Personally, i wouldn't go that high of a viscosity, good quality 0w-16 can protect your engine and will perform well IF you change it at the specified intervals (usually 5-10k)

if you are going to go thicker, 0w-20 is a perfect replacement, if your REALLY concerned, run a 100% synthetic oil (Amsoil comes to mind, few others as well)

keep in mind, the thicker you go, the harder to start and MORE damage is done when its cold out (ie, roughly 40F and below) since the thicker oil wont flow as well as the thinner oil when cold. Thus, metal on metal contact commenences.

Last edited:

FWIW, I have used 0W16 in two PriusC's and my current Lexus UX 250h, to the tune of almost 400k miles.

I recommend that you use only 0W16, with an OCI of ~ 5k miles.

That statement (from Toyota) is pretty clear that the engine can use oils with different viscosity from 0W-16. Since your interest in longevity, Toyota is also saying thicker oil provides better protection. By spec'ing 0W-16, they're not saying it doesn't provide good protection either, it's like saying 5W-30 could let the engine go 500,000 miles while 0W-16 is good for 350,000 miles.

As a general rule and no exceptional environmental or driving conditions provided I'd go no more than just one step thicker, say from 0W-16 to 0W-20. Some years ago I went from 0W-30 to 5W-40 on the GTI and I'll tell you what - I did notice the increase in drag caused by the thicker oil, the engine felt slightly sluggish. I didn't check fuel consumption as my driving varies anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went worse. Next OC I went for 5W-30 and never looked back.

Does the manual call-out what higher viscosity can be used?

Some engines have small oil passages. You never know your engine may too, but I don't know if a 5w30 would be better or worse.
Journal bearings are "small oil passages" that are the main contributors to building oil pressure - and all engines have very similar journal bearing clearances. So really all engines have small oil passages. ;)

How much EV usage do you anticipate? Most of the Prime owners I know have 40-60% EV usage. By the time you reach 250K the engine will have 150K at most. Does oil even matter?

Back