5w30 in a car spec for 0w16

I would run up to 0W20, and sleep well at night. the motor will live a long and happy life!. I use 5W20 in everything (Sonata 2.4L. Elantra 2.0L, Honda 3.5L) ect... and am thinking about a 0W20 for faster cold engine oil flow....

decisions decisions

I would run up to 0W20, and sleep well at night. the motor will live a long and happy life!. I use 5W20 in everything (Sonata 2.4L. Elantra 2.0L, Honda 3.5L) ect... and am thinking about a 0W20 for faster cold engine oil flow....

decisions decisions
It’s not about cold FLOW. What temperatures are you starting in?

I'm echoing others at this point. 0w20 is the highest I would go. 20 weights have been in use for over 20 years and have proven themselves in the correct application. Also, I doubt Toyota would recommend an oil that could potentially damage their engines and in turn their reputation for reliability. The 0w16 is probably fine as long as your not beating on the car.
Toyota also says they use "lifetime" transmission fluid. I will use the ow20, and do 5k oci, it should be good

I just got a 21 Prius prime. It has the 2zrfxe engine.
Owners manual recommends 0w16, my question is would 5w30 Pennzoil synthetic be a better choice for longevity?
In the manual it states " an oil with a higher viscosity ( one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

I'm not concerned about losing a few miles to a tank of fuel. I just don't want to put oil that is too thick if it may hurt the engine. I have read other countries allow thicker oils for the same engine, I don't know if the US model prime has a different oil pump that only will work with thin oil.
You gotta go with the flow. The 2.5 ICE is starting and stopping in concert with the Electric motor so flow is more important than vis. Just use the 0w16. Jmo.

Back