5w30 in a car spec for 0w16

So here you go, maybe you are old school and are stuck in the old days. thinner oil carries heat away a lot quicker, less drag and friction, runs lower oil temps. thicker oil moves slower and keeping heat in the bearings, raising oil temps, etc. there is way too many Toyota’s and Honda’s out there running good ole 0w20 especially in tundra with half a million miles on them. There are many 2016 and newer Nissan titans out there using 0w20 with over 200,000 miles on them no issues, whole lot of Nissan maximas out there 0w20 over 300,000 miles on them with the snot ran out of them no issues. Toyota camrys with 200,000 miles using 0w16 no issues. Stop comparing Asian vehicles to garbage domestic vehicles. Asian vehicles can handle the thinner oil. Domestic vehicles can barely make it past 100,000 miles.

We are talking about 2 different types of engines. This is not a Toyota engine, it is not even a competition. 5.0’s have issues. Ford can’t build an engine for nothing

Ford Explorer -200,000 miles
Ford Crown Victoria -365,000 miles
Mustang GT - stock block supercharged 5.0 - I've owned for 15 years no issues
2015 Ecoboost Escape -53,000 miles no issues

It seems as though your lacking the knowledge maybe to keep a Ford running imo 😂 and your a tech?!

Ford Explorer -200,000 miles
Ford Crown Victoria -365,000 miles
Mustang GT - stock block supercharged 5.0 - I've owned for 15 years no issues
2015 Ecoboost Escape -53,000 miles no issues

It seems as though your lacking the knowledge maybe to keep a Ford running imo 😂 and your a tech?!
Let me re phrase. The 4.6 was a great engine. The 3.5 non eco boost is ok. Every eco boost from the 1.0 to 2.0 will need an engine period. The 1.5 and 2.0 are a terrible engine, we replace all the time. The 3.5 eco boost and 5.0 water pumps, cam phasers, timing chain guides. It takes money to keep domestic running. Asians is just an air filter, oil filter and oil, and maybe a trans drain and fill here and there. No money to keep them going. Cost of ownership = low. Domestic= break the bank to keep them running.

So here you go, maybe you are old school and are stuck in the old days. thinner oil carries heat away a lot quicker, less drag and friction, runs lower oil temps. thicker oil moves slower and keeping heat in the bearings, raising oil temps, etc.
Thicker oil doesn't "move slower" through an oiling system when a positive displacement oil pump forces the same volume of oil per RPM as long as it's not in pressure relief. The PD oil pump is so misunderstood it seems.

There is no real evidence that thinner oil "carries heat away a lot quicker" ... if you have an official study that shows so then post it up. Many misconceptions grow legs and spread like a virus on social media. I think people think that because thinner oil doesn't shear and heat as much as thicker oil.

The reason oil heats up more in a journal bearing is because there is more shearing going on. That's also the reason thicker oil might hurt fuel mileage a bit. But the fact remains that thicker oil is still specified for cases where the engine is used in a more severe manner (like high speed, towing, track use, etc) because even though it has more shear drag and heat, the MOFT is still more than if a thinner oil was used in the same conditions. If thinner oil was so beneficial from a shearing heat generation and protection stand point, then manufacturers would be saying use 0W-16 for towing and track use.

Note how the thicker oil still results in the most MOFT, which is what matters when keeping moving parts from contacting each other.

1628377166655.jpg

Thicker oil doesn't "move slower" through an oiling system when a positive displacement oil pump forces the same volume of oil per RPM as long as it's not in pressure relief. The PD oil pump is so misunderstood it seems.

There is no real evidence that thinner oil "carries heat away a lot quicker" ... if you have an official study that shows so then post it up. Many misconceptions grow legs and spread like a virus on social media. I think people think that because thinner oil doesn't shear and heat as much as thicker oil.

The reason oil heats up more in a journal bearing is because there is more shearing going on. That's also the reason thicker oil might hurt fuel mileage a bit. But the fact remains that thicker oil is still specified for cases where the engine is used in a more severe manner (like high speed, towing, track use, etc) because even though it has more shear drag and heat, the MOFT is still more than if a thinner oil was used in the same conditions. If thinner oil was so beneficial from a shearing heat generation and protection stand point, then manufacturers would be saying use 0W-16 for towing and track use.

Note how the thicker oil still results in the most MOFT, which is what matters when keeping moving parts from contacting each other.

View attachment 66252
Lol your missing the point. We are talking about family sedans. NOBODY drives a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord like they in the I Indianapolis 500. 0w16 or 0w20 is more than enough.

View attachment 66252
Also your showing me a chart that looks like it’s from the 80’s. Please stop. I gather from you that you are old school and are stuck in your ways.

Also your showing me a chart that looks like it’s from the 80’s. Please stop. I gather from you that you are old school and are stuck in your ways.
You are really the one who needs to stop. Please. You have no idea what you’re talking about and you’re just continuing to post ridiculous statements.

You’ve done this in other threads and have been corrected but refuse to listen.

Lol your missing the point. We are talking about family sedans. NOBODY drives a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord like they in the I Indianapolis 500. 0w16 or 0w20 is more than enough.
I'm not missing anything, but you obviously don't understand the basic fundamentals of tribology or lubrication (that higher viscosity is what keeps moving parts more separated than thinner oil), and have the typical misconceptions like thinner oil "flows faster and cools better" non-sense. If that was true manufacturers would be saying use 0W-16 for sever use conditions like high speeds, towing and track use. Why do you think that statement in the Toyota manual talks about higher viscosity is more suited for the severe use conditions.

Sure, if you drive around in a benign way most of the time then the recommended thinner oil will be fine, but there still could be some slight increase of engine wear over the life of the vehicle. Nobody drives a Camry or Accord fast ... LoL, guess you've never been driving were I have were people even drive a Prius like a Corvette.

Last edited:
😄 You got any test data that shows otherwise? You got data that shows 0W-16 or 0W-20 gives more MOFT and therefore more wear protection through viscosity? Do you understand how journal bearings actually work?

Tribology and how viscosity makes machines behave doesn't change ... that chart shows the effect of viscosity on keeping moving bearings separated. Thinner oil provides less MOFT and less headroom before rubbing and wear happens, and that fact will never change as long as oil is used to lubricate engines and machines.

Not like the Indy 500, but I recently took my Camry for a brief 100mph run through 106-degree heat, and felt very good about having a somewhat higher viscosity oil in my sump. Some months earlier I took the Camry over the Sierras, steep climb, high altitude, heavy load in the car, higher-than-normal revs in lower gears in order to comfortably crest a couple of summits ... loved the security the EP 5W-30 gave me. Don't need to drive like a race car to sometimes find yourself in a "severe service" situation.

Last edited:
I'm echoing others at this point. 0w20 is the highest I would go. 20 weights have been in use for over 20 years and have proven themselves in the correct application. Also, I doubt Toyota would recommend an oil that could potentially damage their engines and in turn their reputation for reliability. The 0w16 is probably fine as long as your not beating on the car.

If your cooling system is working properly, I'm not sure how much of an impact the outside ambient air has (when the car is moving).
Forgot who posted the thread (was maybe in the last 6 months), but he plotted oil temperature vs coolant and outside air temperature, and there was definitely an effect on oil temperature aa the ambient temperature change. That's why some manuals show differenr oil viscosity based on the ambient temperature range.

Forgot who posted the thread (was maybe in the last 6 months), but he plotted oil temperature vs coolant and outside air temperature, and there was definitely an effect on oil temperature aa the ambient temperature change. That's why some manuals show differenr oil viscosity based on the ambient temperature range.
Obviously the oil gets a bit hotter when the ambient temperature is up. But some here assume that it is way out of the actual proportion of the coolant vs. sump. But in typical driving it probably doesn't really make much difference.

Does the dealership the OP had his oil changed at have a large number of engines grenading because they use 5W-20 in the naturally aspirated engines that take upwards of 6 qts? My guess is no. Yes, I agree there are times you may want a (slightly) thicker oil in some engines that are getting up there but I doubt in general it makes much difference...

For how long and what RPMs was it turning at ?

About 10 miles and 3500 rpm

If your cooling system is working properly, I'm not sure how much of an impact the outside ambient air has (when the car is moving).
It's been shown that it has an influence. Plus, the A/C is working and putting additional stress on the engine and cooling system. It makes me feel safe and secure to know that I've got a bit more protection.

Last edited:
Run what is called for. It will still last over 300k miles with no issues. What little you gain running a thicker oil is pointless since most don't keep vehicles past 300k miles.
CAFE wants to squeeze for fuel economy. The Thickies wants to squeeze for mileage. Let's meet half way?

So here you go, maybe you are old school and are stuck in the old days. thinner oil carries heat away a lot quicker, less drag and friction, runs lower oil temps. thicker oil moves slower and keeping heat in the bearings, raising oil temps, etc. ............. Stop comparing Asian vehicles to garbage domestic vehicles. Asian vehicles can handle the thinner oil. Domestic vehicles can barely make it past 100,000 miles.
No and no

Back