5w30 in a car spec for 0w16

Sure design and/or manufacturing error causing lack of lubrication is a factor, but there are lots of these engines with 200K+ miles. The issue is no one buys a new designed engine and knows there are going to be issues. So, would going to a 5w30 benefit avoid oil related failures?
If it's a lack of flow and lubrication due to design/manufacturing issues, depending on the severity of how much flow is cut down from the flaw, I doubt the viscosity is going to matter much when the oil is at operating temperature due to the PD pump.

On the other hand, in a case like that, it's possible most of the lack in lubrication occurred during very cold start-ups if the oil pump hits pressure relief quickly and stays in relief for quite awhile. In that case, a lower W viscosity may help.

Last edited:
Didn't Hoovie's Garage throw nitrous on his Prius and blow the oil filter off? Maybe that wouldn't have happened with 15w50...🤣🤣🤣
Well, someone installed a turbo onto a Prius. It somewhat worked but the second boost was called, the ICE shut down. Now, a tuner would use a piggy-back/standalone ECU for fuel management - but on a Toyota hybrid, the hybrid ECU is in control of the PCM/engine ECU.

In this hybrid system do the electric motors work simultaneously with the engine during hard acceleration or going up hills etc?
They do. When I hit high load, the display shows engine and motor helping

OP, my RAV4 Hybrid is also spec’d for 0W-16. I recently did a long road trip with very high speeds so I bumped up to 0W-20. While I didn’t get a UOA Or anything, I did not that it was quieter (especially under higher loads).

Once my stash of $3/jugs of 0W-16 is spent, I’m leaning to just going with 0W-20 for good; but still have another 45K miles (9 jugs) to make that decision…

Awsome, thank you for this , I am going to read through!
Looks like 5w30 may be ok after all. I live in CT, very rarely goes below 0 degrees F here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210731-073604_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210731-073604_Chrome.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 105

Why I now use Lexus Genuine Motor Oil 0W16 SP/ILSAC GF-6B with 5k mile OCI.

See especially the section of the video where he shows the piston rings.

There is also a video where he takes apart a late model Camry with the A25A-FXS engine.

It may seem like overkill or the wrong viscosity, but here is the secret sauce.

We are all severe service.

Last edited:

Why I now use Lexus Genuine Motor Oil 0W16 SP/ILSAC GF-6B with 5k mile OCI.

See especially the section of the video where he shows the piston rings.

There is also a video where he takes apart a late model Camry with the A25A-FXS engine.

It may seem like overkill or the wrong viscosity, but here is the secret sauce.

We are all severe service.

Mobil 1 0W16 is fine also. Cheap, and easy to get at WalMart.

thick vs thin is pure nonsense, the real issue is fluid film protecting vital surfaces, and yes i remember a kid with a honda or Acura with cam phasers having a code read because his buddies had said to put Rotella diesel oil in the sump. do you realize, that thousands of hours and miles oftesting are run before product launch

I was at the local Toyota dealer Wednesday and asked the service manager what’s the highest mileage hybrid you service here?

Service manager: “Just over 320,000 miles.”
Me: OW20 at the MM?
Service manager: “Yes sir.”

Not sure I’d second guess the Toyota engineers on this one. 🙂

I just got a 21 Prius prime. It has the 2zrfxe engine.
Owners manual recommends 0w16, my question is would 5w30 Pennzoil synthetic be a better choice for longevity?
In the manual it states " an oil with a higher viscosity ( one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

I'm not concerned about losing a few miles to a tank of fuel. I just don't want to put oil that is too thick if it may hurt the engine. I have read other countries allow thicker oils for the same engine, I don't know if the US model prime has a different oil pump that only will work with thin oil.
In other parts of the world they recommend Mobil 1™ ESP X2 0W-20 with no alternative even though the do have 0w16 in stock.
Amazon and others have it but you can get it much cheaper from Napa when they have one of their Mobil 1 sales.

What I'm finding hard to understand is, in the owners manual it reads to use 0W20 oil if 0W16 is not available. Then, next OCI, switch back to 0W16. WHY? If 0W20 was okay for one OCI, why not continue to use it? :unsure: 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 0W16.jpg
    0W16.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 25
Back