5w30 in a car spec for 0w16

Where are you getting that quote from (my bold)?
The only other viscosity mentioned is 0W-20, so I'd have to assume that's the higher viscosity they are referring to. If they also said xW-30 or higher was OK then it probably would have said so, but as mentioned it seems they want to make it as nebulous as possible. If the last bullet statement about using a higher viscosity doesn't list what those are, then it could also be taken as anything on the shelf all the way up to xW-50.

1627668853982.png

Last edited:
Yeah, seems like Toyota is speaking out both sides of the mouth. "Recommended" viscosity is 0W-16. Then it says that a higher viscosity is acceptable (only 0W-20 from the wording) for high speeds and higher loads, but then says if a higher viscosity is used then it MUST be put back to 0W-16 at the next oil change. Talk about confusing wording. :cautious: If 0W-20 is OK to use for a whole OCI, then why wouldn't it be OK to use all the time - ?.
Yeap, confusing wording, if not conflicting. My favorite part is change it back to -16 at the next oil change... You could be 9000 miles from the next change.
I think for the purpose of protecting the engine for warranty purposes any SN Resource Conserving oil will work, but do to CAFE they can only recommend you use 0W-16, so it's worded confusingly to make big brother happy is my guess.
I think this is very correct - in writing, they have to "recommend" the ideal viscosity for fuel economy purposes but they're allowed to dance around that with exceptions for certain cases (wink wink).

Last edited:
One of these days someone is going to realize that the manufacturers don't make too many mistakes when recommending oil and these threads will be gone forever-as nonsense as they already are.
I want to "love" this post but I can't bring myself to click that one !!! :ROFLMAO:

The only other viscosity mentioned is 0W-20, so I'd have to assume that's the higher viscosity they are referring to.
I understand where you're coming from but I think Toyota is being very vague and on purpose. They actually say "one with a higher value" and (purposely) don't include any numbers at all.

I understand where you're coming from but I think Toyota is being very vague and on purpose. They actually say "one with a higher value" and (purposely) don't include any numbers at all.
Hard to say ... hence my use of the word "nebulous". Only clue would be to see what the owner's manual say for this same engine used in other countries.

The only other viscosity mentioned is 0W-20, so I'd have to assume that's the higher viscosity they are referring to. If they also said xW-30 or higher was OK then it probably would have said so, but as mentioned it seems they want to make it as nebulous as possible. If the last bullet statement about using a higher viscosity doesn't list what those are, then it could also be taken as anything on the shelf all the way up to xW-50.

View attachment 65428
That's not what you said and you added these bizarre caveats: "...for high speeds and higher loads"

I just got a 21 Prius prime. It has the 2zrfxe engine.
Owners manual recommends 0w16, my question is would 5w30 Pennzoil synthetic be a better choice for longevity?
In the manual it states " an oil with a higher viscosity ( one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

I'm not concerned about losing a few miles to a tank of fuel. I just don't want to put oil that is too thick if it may hurt the engine. I have read other countries allow thicker oils for the same engine, I don't know if the US model prime has a different oil pump that only will work with thin oil.
Supposedly it has a variable discharge oil pump, in very German-like fashion, overly complicated and programmed around 0w-16 characteristics.

Note, in the owner's manual, it would allow 0w-20 as an alternative, but for the next OCI, go back to 0W-16

Last bullet ... pretty much the same as what I said, even thought not the exact words - "extreem load conditions" and "higher loads" pretty much mean the same thing in my book.

View attachment 65435
Okay fair enough. But with 6.6 qts. of any weight (which is a crazy high capacity to me when for years they were trying to get below 4 qts seemingly on 4-cyls), I doubt your going to have to worry about speeds or loads, that engine has a history of the opposite - not reaching very high temps. I think a former mod here said his rarely went above 180F...

Okay fair enough. But with 6.6 qts. of any weight (which is a crazy high capacity to me when for years they were trying to get below 4 qts seemingly on 4-cyls), I doubt your going to have to worry about speeds or loads, that engine has a history of the opposite - not reaching very high temps. I think a former mod here said his rarely went above 180F...
Agreed ... but I'm pointing out what Toyota is saying in the owner's manual. The OP said he drives it fast and hard sometimes, so if he's worried about the 0W-16 he could go to 0W-20 per the manual - and ignore the "must be replaced with SAE 0W-16 at the next oil change", which IMO is basically Toyota trying to please CAFE.

Last edited:
Back