54 week old LG refrigerator failure

Wait explain to me like I am five.

They are using R600a because of the reduction in greenhouse emissions compared to an R410 or even the older R22. The old R22 units lasted decades while the new units only last a few years. So what is the exact greenhouse emissions/footprint of a single R-410 (and 20 years of service) fridge compared to 3-4 R-600 (might get 20 years with 3 units)?

They are using R600a because of the reduction in greenhouse emissions compared to an R410 or even the older R22. The old R22 units lasted decades while the new units only last a few years. So what is the exact greenhouse emissions/footprint of a single R-410 (and 20 years of service) fridge compared to 3-4 R-600 (might get 20 years with 3 units)?

I don't think refrigerant type has anything to do with LG compressor failures, it's just a bad design.

I don't think refrigerant type has anything to do with LG compressor failures, it's just a bad design.
With mine the weak compressor was taken out by corrosion in the other piping. According to LG and the tech its inaccessible. Either way its bad engineering that they knew about but yet they kept building a design that reportedly had a failure rate of 4x the average.

Nov_19_2023_8_56_51.jpg

We had a sudden refrigerator failure last night (Saturday), so this bad boy just went in. $949.99+tax from Lowe's, 27 cu. ft. It's a BEAST!

Replaced a 12 year old Maytag that suffered a massive compressor failure out of nowhere.

View attachment 189365

We had a sudden refrigerator failure last night (Saturday), so this bad boy just went in. $949.99+tax from Lowe's, 27 cu. ft. It's a BEAST!

Replaced a 12 year old Maytag that suffered a massive compressor failure out of nowhere.
Wow, awesome price. I’m sure you’re thrilled.
Based on the photo, it looks like the same side by side as we purchased in the spring, but ours is the counter depth model which runs a little bit more money, but either way that price that you got is fantastic.
If you admire quality, fit, finish, materials, I’m sure you are in awe over that LG and that price is unmatched any place.

To us it’s an incredible value, unmatched any place in the marketplace.

Wow, awesome price. I’m sure you’re thrilled.
Based on the photo, it looks like the same side by side as we purchased in the spring, but ours is the counter depth model which runs a little bit more money, but either way that price that you got is fantastic.
If you admire quality, fit, finish, materials, I’m sure you are in awe over that LG and that price is unmatched any place.

To us it’s an incredible value, unmatched any place in the marketplace.

Thanks! We're loving it so far. For reference, here's the exact model we bought in case anyone is looking for a new fridge:

LG 27.6-cu ft Refridgerator

Thanks! We're loving it so far. For reference, here's the exact model we bought in case anyone is looking for a new fridge:

LG 27.6-cu ft Refridgerator
Yeah, wow, great deal ^^^

As posted we have the counter depth, paid much less than this but you can see the disparity when needing/wanting a less standard model. Same fridge but smaller, higher price - I think we paid $1,400+ from Best Buy which to use was a great deal compared to the other brands out there at the same price, nothing came close in quality feel.

AHHH!!! Found it, great price on the counter depth at Best Buy (we paid a little more last March)

I think the key is, if you shop around you dont have to settle for less. These refrigerators are a steal as far as I am concerned and you too. Class act, everything about them.

Last edited:
any experience with a subzero brand? i hear its the speed queens of the fridge world but miele exists so idk

I own 2 houses of Miele appliances and have had a subzero prior I'd say the quality between the two brands is equivalent which is to say the absolute top end of what you can get. Libeherr is the same tier as either, and also a German family company.

My LA rental has a Samsung fridge which is what I could get to fit the space. In 10 years its lost an ice maker and a two control boards.

Korean appliances have nice client facing build quality, but use mid tier components and have mid tier build quality, stuff like washer spider mounting and weaker cheaper suspension amount to reduced longevity under their skin.

I prefer electrolux as a mid tier brand above Samsung and LG.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 8.16.26 AM.png

Last edited:

R22 and R410A has never been used in residential refrigerators. Refrigerators were R12 then R134a and now R600a or R290. R600a and R290 both have better compression ratios so the the compressor isn't working nearly as hard as if it was using R134a. So compressors should last longer but that's not going to stop them from making them cheaper. Also the LG compressor failures were happening in units using R134a.

Currently in Seoul. Went to the shopping district and posted pictures from the Hyundai Motor Studio, very impressive. Checked out the Samsung shop, impressive as well, even Sony has a presence. Moved on to LG, what a sad state. Half the facility is empty, downtown Seoul and it looks like a flea market.

It is possible to build high quality R410A stuff, but it cost money to build quality, and sometimes businesses like to put money in "designs" and marketing instead, or cut prices to attract customers who don't know.

How many of you can convince your wives to buy Speed Queen instead of that beautiful Burgundy color Samsung / LG washer and dryer combo? Probably not until they have gone through it once and got burnt once, then they will listen.

I just junked a 6 year old LG fridge this morning. The dealer I brought it from (that usually provides great service) said my best option was probably to replace it. They said the compressor would be covered under warranty but I’d have to pay $700 in labor for the repair. They also couldn’t come out to diagnose for over a week and then would have to order parts.

After a past experience of dumping a bunch of money into an LG dishwasher that ended up getting replaced anyway AND the possibility of going without a fridge until after Christmas, I picked up a Samsung on sale at Lowe’s with decent reviews. All the Black Friday sales just ended and local inventory was pretty depleted. The fact that Lowe’s could have the Samsung delivered the next day sealed the deal.

What is OP's definition of "failure"? I ask because the vast majority of failures are with anything connected to adding outside water to the unit. Buy units without water, ice makers etc and they generally last.

A little over a year ago, I was at my brother’s house and his wife was showing off their new refrigerator. It was purchased from a box store, cost $3K, French door model (side-by-side doors with freezer on the bottom) and had all the bells and whistles. Fast-forward to last week and my wife was visiting their house. My wife commented about the brand new refrigerator that WASN’T the same one that was purchased a year ago. My SIL clenched her jaw and her temple bulged (what my wife said) and the story came out. Their new LG refrigerator purchased slightly over a year ago had a one year warranty and it failed after 54 weeks. Nobody would stand behind it (hey, your warranty has expired!) and they had to buy a new one. The irony is that my brother is a HVAC/electrician man with 50 years experience, but a year ago his wife purchased this without his help. I wonder if she asked for his buying help this time. Or at least got one with a better warranty. 😎
Moral of the story: Check the warranty on your high ticket appliances before you buy them.
I just picked up a GE on sale at lowes for their labor day sale then it was an additional $100 off. The 3 year complete warranty was $147 extra plus it from the associate they give you one free water filter at $50 each free per year. If I dropped Three grand on a fridge it would have had the 5 year extended warranty added.

Back