54 week old LG refrigerator failure

A little over a year ago, I was at my brother’s house and his wife was showing off their new refrigerator. It was purchased from a box store, cost $3K, French door model (side-by-side doors with freezer on the bottom) and had all the bells and whistles. Fast-forward to last week and my wife was visiting their house. My wife commented about the brand new refrigerator that WASN’T the same one that was purchased a year ago. My SIL clenched her jaw and her temple bulged (what my wife said) and the story came out. Their new LG refrigerator purchased slightly over a year ago had a one year warranty and it failed after 54 weeks. Nobody would stand behind it (hey, your warranty has expired!) and they had to buy a new one. The irony is that my brother is a HVAC/electrician man with 50 years experience, but a year ago his wife purchased this without his help. I wonder if she asked for his buying help this time. Or at least got one with a better warranty. 😎
Moral of the story: Check the warranty on your high ticket appliances before you buy them.

Don't tell me that! I have an LG fridge. Wasn't cheap. I think it's right at a year or maybe just a bit over. The in door ice maker sucks. And the water capacity must be very small. Thankfully it has a decent in freezer ice maker too. Otherwise I'd be more than just annoyed

Agree. Have seen issues with Korean refrigerator and dishwashers.

I run Bosch refrigerator/dishwasher/washer/dryer and have been very pleased.

That's unfortunate. I have an LG like hers and the linear compressor went out about 4 months ago. I checked the serial number and the LG wesite said it still had several months left on the warranty. Also LG extended the warranty on many of their units because of a class action suit brought against them for these failures.

A very competent LG factory rep came and replaced the compressor for free. Based on that customer service my son bought an LG last month to replace his Whirlpool.

That's unfortunate. I have an LG like hers and the linear compressor went out about 4 months ago. I checked the serial number and the LG wesite said it still had several months left on the warranty. Also LG extended the warranty on many of their units because of a class action suit brought against them for these failures.

A very competent LG factory rep came and replaced the compressor for free. Based on that customer service my son bought an LG last month to replace his Whirlpool.
I have also had one compressor replaced under the extended warranty.

I'm sure they all have good and bad ones. But I've NEVER had an LG or Samsung apliance that worked for very long without problems. I've also been through a number of Bosch dishwashers. They are big on looks and features, but crap in terms of durability.

On the flip side, I've had great experience with Whirlpool/Maytag/Kitchenaid. The only issue for me is my current dryer, which just doesn't get things dry in one cycle, even on "more dry" setting. I just have to run it an extra 15 to 25 minutes each time.

My brother has my parent's old Frididaire refrigerator that my Dad bought around 1976. It was from when General Motors owned the company. He has it at his business to keep cold drinks for employees. Works as good as ever, even though it looks like it belongs in the Brady Bunch house. So why did GM get out of the appliance business? They built them too well, which meant they cost more than people were willing to pay. That old fridge belongs in the Smithsonian.

I used to think of LG appliances as being decent quality and have had good experience with LG TV's but that's some years back.
More recently my son had a nightmare with a new LG washing machine that was still under warranty. The problem was they couldn't fix it without making numerous visits each of which was two weeks apart. It took months to resolve the problem. Checking online confirmed that not only are faults commonplace but the atrocious after sales service he received seems typical. I wouldn't touch any LG appliance after reading how they treat their customers.

I had a nicer LG crap out early. I believe they would have sent someone out and perhaps fix it; I forget. Just found a KitchenAid at Costco online and got it. I have an LG tv that has been great.

Agree. Have seen issues with Korean refrigerator and dishwashers.

I run Bosch refrigerator/dishwasher/washer/dryer and have been very pleased.
Kinda like one shouldn't buy Dodge or Nissan, one shouldn't buy LG or Samsung refrigerators. There's class action lawsuits and tons of complaints/repairs all over the internet for a reason.

I have been told by a local repair shop to just purchase the cheapest refrigerator that will do the basics of what I need. None of them are built to last with the new compressors and are disposable when the break down.
Expect 5-7 years with a brand that use to last 20+.

Premature failure (little over 2 years) of a Samsung french door here. Bought the long warranty, but when the compressor failed, NOBODY they were contracted with would work on it because the refrigerant was propane-based. So, $3200 down the drain. I did my best to do $3200 worth of damage to Samsung's reputation online.

Our 6 1/2 yr old LG fridge took a dump this summer. LG sent a new compressor and condenser for free but it still cost me $900 plus to get it installed. Its going in the scrap heap before I put another penny in it. I would never buy another LG but from what I can tell the market is full of feces.

Back