New LG Fridge Dented

Up here, they gather up the returns and have a “scratch and dent sale”. Some people seek out such sales. Others prefer their purchases to be perfect. Do what makes you feel happiest. :)

We used to have an entire “Scratch and Dent” store that sold all manner of blems mismatches, products will speeling errors, dented products had sections like a department store could get food, appliances or automotive.

Like those stores.

Last one like it was Don Smiths Sales, sad to see all those type of stores go

Oh, and I’m still super happy that the model I went there to buy was in stock and only a few days for delivery. When I approached the sales rep and started shooting the breeze he told me to expect delays in excess of 2 weeks for some models! I was preparing myself to buy a small Hotpoint too-freezer used from somewhere in the mean time, then keeping it as a second fridge. I’m glad that didn’t happen.

For me, if it was somewhere where it was not visible, I'd take the money.
Otherwise, they could replace the door or the unit.
Otherwise, try to get as close to 50% as you can get.
My best was 45% on a Maytag washer at Lowes.
It was a floor model with a scratch in front.
I had just replaced our dryer with the matching unit from another vendor.
It was right at the front door and I was looking it over when the Manager came up and said make me an offer on it if you are interested.
I threw him the lowball. Darned if he didn't take it.
That was a good washer. Got 23 years out of it until the lower tub rusted out.

How much would a replacement drawer cost "shipped" to you? $300 seems too low if you want a new nice looking fridge to begin with (that looks like a $2000-2500 fridge at least).

Our old LG fridge circa 2009 suddenly stopped working after three years in our care.

Based on online and CR reviews we decided to go with another LG LRDCS03S for $1700 OTD, including an extended 4-year warranty and 18 months of 0% interest financing.

Anyway, the fridge was delivered today and there are a few blemishes. There are some scratch marks on the top front that you can’t see well in a picture and one big dent, like it was hit hard with a ball-peen hammer, on the bottom freezer. There’s also a long scrape on the left side, but that faces the wall, so I don’t care about it.

The rep offered my wife $300 off, but insisted she just take a new fridge, which will be shipped and replaced some time in the future - we can keep this fridge until the new one arrives. She told me this and my first thought was, “$300 is a good chunk of change for a couple of superficial blemishes…and maybe we can get more out of them”. We’re expecting a call from an LG rep within 24 hrs according to the supervisor today. We‘ll see.

What would you guys do?

Also, I told my wife to not let them plug the fridge in. I have no idea how it was transported or stored before being transported, so I’d rather let the oil settle overnight. I‘m sure some of you will think this is excessive, but it’s what I do with all compressor driven units.
What was the outcome here ?

Old thread, but a good one.

With 4 kids, the front of our Whirlpool "stainless steel" refrigerator has all kinds of little dents in it.

If you look at how all consumer grade refrigerators are built these days, the metal skins are foil thin and glued to a foam base. There is ZERO impact resistance to the surfaces.

I actually bought this bottom freezer Whirlpool fridge about 10yrs ago as discounted scratch and dent floor model from BLowes. One of it's black painted sides had some small dents in it. Regardless, we will never buy a bottom freezer style with the slide out freezer door/bin arrangement again. Things get jammed up in the works and you loose usable freezer space due to the slide rails and basket design.

quality 300 series NEVER rust stainless is NOT magnetic but lower grades are! 10 years + 200 thou miles on a 304 stainless car exhaust in the snow-salt belt + NO rust!! appliances are built cheaper these days while parts are $$$$ + guessing 10 years would be good, washing machines are even worse than refrigerators IMO, $500 for a control panel in a 7 YO whirlpool front loader BUT less for a new basic top loader!! on that last comment my samsung french door bottom freezer has less usable space that the outgoing 17 YO whirlpool that was smaller + also a bottom freezer. the thick doors with their removable bind block access to stuff in the freezer but my sisters similar but bigger has easier access + as a side note her ice maker is on the fritz again $$$ for a new filter but NO help

Last edited:
What was the outcome here ?
I guess I never followed up, sorry!

Customer service was a pain. They acknowledged the potential for paying us in one call, then told us a new door was ordered in the next. This went on for a while. We tried to clarify what was going on when one day the repair guy called and said he’d be here the next day to swap out the freezer drawer. My wife said he was in and out in just a few minutes. The money would have been nice, but it likely wouldn’t cover the annoyance I felt seeing the dent every day.

Im still very happy with the fridge. I swapped the fridge door so that it opens from the other side, which resulted in some extra gasket noise that’s still present today, but there’s no practical issues.

quality 300 series NEVER rust stainless is NOT magnetic but lower grades are! 10 years + 200 thou miles on a 304 stainless car exhaust in the snow-salt belt + NO rust!! appliances are built cheaper these days while parts are $$$$ + guessing 10 years would be good, washing machines are even worse than refrigerators IMO, $500 for a control panel in a 7 YO whirlpool front loader BUT less for a new basic top loader!! on that last comment my samsung french door bottom freezer has less usable space that the outgoing 17 YO whirlpool that was smaller + also a bottom freezer. the thick doors with their removable bind block access to stuff in the freezer but my sisters similar but bigger has easier access + as a side note her ice maker is on the fritz again $$$ for a new filter but NO help
400 series stainless steel isn’t a “lower grade”, it simply serves a different purpose. 300 series cannot be heat treated to make it harder, but 400 series can. But 300 series is more ductile, making it easier to press into various shapes but also can be dented more easily.

Back