switched to the family plan worst mistake ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
33.gif

need vs want

You're paying $75-90/month just for the phones, right? Then add in the access and data, etc. Total that up over a few years.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Don't finance a phone!

It blows my mind what people pay for phones. You can get a fully featured iPad for less than an iPhone.

I believe the iPad really only costs about $100 less if you get the cell network enabled one but it still lacks the ability to act like a phone easily and is stupidly big to fit in your pocket......

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I believe the iPad really only costs about $100 less if you get the cell network enabled one but it still lacks the ability to act like a phone easily and is stupidly big to fit in your pocket......

Sure, but when I thought about it what I realized was that now even cheap phones are limited by the same thing that an expensive iPhone is limited by.... screen size.

Anything small enough to fit in your pocket is going to be annoying to use for most things beyond calling, texting, eMail, and basic web searching.

Also true is that anything bigger than an iPhone is simply annoying to carry around in your pocket.

If you're a mobile "power user" and have needs that are beyond basic you're probably better served by going with a cheap phone that can operate as a wifi-hot-spot and carry a 7" or 10" tablet for the heavy duty use.

That may not be true for you, or most other people in here, but when I took an actual inventory of what I used a phone for I realized that an iPhone (or top end Androids) simply wasn't worth the insane premium.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
33.gif

need vs want

You're paying $75-90/month just for the phones, right? Then add in the access and data, etc. Total that up over a few years.

55 for both per month. Pay that for 12 months then get a new phone.

I'm about to switch to Ting.com from Sprint since I only use the cellphone for calls and text, no data/internet. Currently I pay $61 at Sprint with Ting I will be paying $25.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Once you have had an android in your hand it's very easy. The 5s wasn't much different than her 4 was or my 5 was. Apple is over rated. They charge a premium for less than stellar performance. Imo.

I have Android, and nothing has changed with their devices either.. only thing that changes is specs, being screen size, battery, ram, processor etc..

Regarding the issue you are having, you just need to call them up ask for it to be escalated to a manager. Get the managers contact info (once they call you back) and if you dont like their answer, ask for their boss.

I don't personally know you ram_man, but you must be the unluckiest person in the country.

Either that or you have a very vivid imagination.

I click on threads you start, but only to see what the crisis du jour is. I rarely read past the third post.

No matter how you add it up it costs about $53/month for a cell phone with the phone, 2GB data (average) and unlimited calls & texting. My Verizon plan costs about $55 for that for each line I add. But they have the best network and I have kids in separate locations that travel to Asia and Europe. Verizon gives me a free international phone when they go. Plus, I have been a business customer for 20 years. So when I have a phone issue they give me a new one. So the plan works for me. But our useage is huge talk time and very limited data. We usually use about 1gb/month each.

BTW, My Samsung Galaxy-iii will go about 2 days on a charge with average use. On just standby it will go 7 days.

Last edited:
If you're a mobile "power user" and have needs that are beyond basic you're probably better served by going with a cheap phone that can operate as a wifi-hot-spot and carry a 7" or 10" tablet for the heavy duty use. ....

There are many android GSM phones on AliBaba and probably ebay in the 6" - 9" screen size. Probably 10's as well. I'm not sure about the practicality of these things, but they're out there.

Cell phones have become so cheap, I now use the phone that fits the day at hand, and just swap sim cards in and out of them.

They've become just another commodity item like PC's.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Every Android phone I have had suffers from extremely poor battery life.

Same here. I like Android for tablets, but for phones every one I've used has been terrible.

I strongly dislike Apple (as a company and their products). If I get another smart phone , i'm almost 100% going to get an iPhone. Sick of Android phones working well for 3 or 4 months then just turning into useless pocket warmers.

The iPhones seem to be able to last a year or two. As long as you don't break the screen.

My LG Optimus lasted me 2+ years with no problem. I replaced (Kyocera Rise) it in December because the charger connection wasn't making proper contact. The Rise might only last a year...but I only paid $38!

I have a PAYG play with Virgin: unlimited everything, $45/month.

Why we got on discussing phones im not sure.
I honestly would like to give the phones back and cancel the contract. I am out of the 14 day grace period. So doing so may be an issue. Does that sound unreasonable given the nonsense ive had to go through.
And what kind of recourse do I have or am I at their mercy?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'm with Verizon.

And an added bonus is that I also get a phone that works in places where no one else's phone will.

Same for me. Verizon's coverage here is unmatched. It costs more than other plans do but not really when you figure you actually can use the phone most anywhere. The other providers coverage is spotty. I had AT&T once upon a time and it absolutely sucked.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I don't personally know you ram_man, but you must be the unluckiest person in the country.

I click on threads you start, but only to see what the crisis du jour is. I rarely read past the third post.

lol.gif

Crisis is his middle name. Or was it Dakota1820 aka chevyboy14...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

lol.gif

Crisis is his middle name. Or was it Dakota1820 aka chevyboy14...

overall I have good luck I just dont like being taken advantage of.

My issue is getting sales tax back. What would you guys do?

Read the contract you signed and learn what your rights and responsibilities are with regard to all the phones you used for a few days and then returned.

I just dont like being taken advantage of.

You're exchanging phones every couple of days and don't want to assume the consequences, yet you think it's you who is being taken advantage of?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I just dont like being taken advantage of.

You're exchanging phones every couple of days and don't want to assume the consequences, yet you think it's you who is being taken advantage of?

are you confused?
We upgraded our phones the new phones did not work correctly. Poor call quality so we exchanged them. And got different phones but had to pay sales tax again.
this would be like you buying a part for your car realizing it wont work for you and taking it back and them telling you itll take up to 3 weeks to get your sales tax back and then not giving it back to you in that time and not knowing when or how you will receive it. You would be a little frusterated now wouldn't you? Quattro pete I dont want to sound rude. But if you cannot fully grasp the conversation and are going to make stupid comments like that then please refrain from posting.

are you confused?
We upgraded our phones the new phones did not work correctly. Poor call quality so we exchanged them.

In the opening post you wrote that it was "because it was boring". Sounds like you later came up with a bunch of bogus issues to justify the return.

Quote:

I dont want to sound rude. But if you cannot fully grasp the conversation and are going to make stupid comments like that then please refrain from posting.

Read the contract that you agreed to. It should explain your rights.

surfstar said:
and I would do a fair bit of research before making a large purchase / signing a contract. Live and learn - you're still young and learning.

There is no contract,....
You agree to pay for the phone until paid off thats the only agreement. But since I was lied to and have not been properly reimbursed shouldnt I have the right to give them the phone back and be done. I just want out of the agreement since I was given false information and havent gotten my money back or atleast confirmation of how i will receive it. Does that sound unreasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back