switched to the family plan worst mistake ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid $90 for a Nokia Lumia 521 on Amazon and now pay $60 to T-Mobile. The phone is quite decent for the price. There isn't a phone on the market that's worth $30-$35 a month to me.

While I tend to too that the pricing is criminal, truth is many are happy to pay it. I protest by not joining.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Every Android phone I have had suffers from extremely poor battery life.

Same here. I like Android for tablets, but for phones every one I've used has been terrible.

I strongly dislike Apple (as a company and their products). If I get another smart phone , i'm almost 100% going to get an iPhone. Sick of Android phones working well for 3 or 4 months then just turning into useless pocket warmers.

The iPhones seem to be able to last a year or two. As long as you don't break the screen.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Sure, you can keep making stuff up.

Hey, your title says the problem was that you switched to the family plan, but yet your ongoing rant is against a phone. So which is it?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: whip
^ What does the Android do so well that the Apple doesn't?

Battery lasts about twice as long. It'll connect to our Jbl blue tooth speaker and her iphone wouldn't. We can get free music on the android and ringtones.
I phones camera isn't as good doesn't have tri band network .....it isn't as quick either must I go on?

I didn't start the phone debate I only answered the question asked. I think the iphone is a good phone but it's over priced.
My note 3 has awesome battery life and yes android battery life used to be [censored]. But as you stated that has nothing to do with the topic. The iphone worked Fine aside from battery life but she didn't want to keep it because it wouldn't do what she needed.

My issue is getting sales tax back. What would you guys do?

My last experience with Sprint was probably 8 years back - my gf was on a family plan, the in store place that the primary on the family plan upgraded their line at at the end of the contract apparently told the primary that other lines can upgrade at their leisure and still get the $50 or $100 off a phone. Fast forward a couple of days later, go to upgrade and get a there is no credit off the price of the phone. Fast forward a day or two and numerous hours on the phone with Sprint and a credit was finally applied to the account.

After about 10 hours of back and forth, I told a CSR to transfer me to a person that you talk to when you're so annoyed you want to cancel you account, that is the only thing that worked for me. In hindsight, I should have went to a sprint store and called customer service from the sales floor.

OP - good luck, hope the service has gotten better in the last 8 years.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Curious why you have five lines? I thought your kids were quite young?

It's the whole family.
Mom me wife sister husband and uncle. My uncle just joined so now 6 lines.

Do your research first. Who has the best signal in your area? Here it's Verizon. So I use Pageplus they piggyback Verizon towers.

Android/Iphone from my experience you have to turn stuff OFF to get a good battery life. Loads of posts on the internet to guide you.
What phone do the most successful people I know use? Iphone. Because it gets the job done.

So instead of being the "family plan" I have with Sprint (up to five lines, each with unlimited data and pulling from a pooled 1600 minutes per month), this is that goofy Family Plan that has unlimited minutes but only 1 gig of data per user? And you get up to 10 users on the plan? That one has no contract, right? But you're getting free or discounted phones? How does that work? I'm confused.

Your first mistake is that you probably purchased your phones and service from a Sprint "Authorized Retailer" (franchise) store. Always purchase from a "Company Store" never from a franchise authorized retailer. The sign on the front of their building will say Authorized Retailer. If you are not sure, phone Sprint and ask them for the location of the closest Company Store not a franchise store.
What's the difference? One of many is that you have far fewer problems, mostly about money, with a company store.

The above goes for any cell phone store. I have AT&T and always use the company store, never the franchise store a couple miles down the road.
As for my AT&T, I have two iPhone 5's and one (dumb) phone, a Motorola SLVR L9. The i5's both have "Personal Hotspot" which I use to connect to my iPad2 and my two Acer PC's. Never have problems a d well worth the money.

Newer android devices have decent battery life

my optimus G will last about 3 days

thats reading the newspaper weather etc (normal use)

if i dont play games on it..

something like swordigo kills the battery in about 3-4 hours.

Moto X has good battery life.

I would never go with sprint they are at best a distant 3rd for contract carriers.

I use ting (on sprints network)

pay 40-50$ for 2 smartphones.

republicwireless is another option

as are the many prepaid options

Last edited:
Why is there a difference in the monthly cost between an Android and an iPhone? Both are what Sprint terms "premium data" phones and incur the extra $10 per month charge. On my plan and every Sprint plan I have seen, an Android phone is the same per-month charge as my iPhone is.

Well she didn't want to pay 30 a month for a phone that couldnt do what the phone that only cost 20 a month could do. And the battery life was terrible.

Once you have had an android in your hand it's very easy. The 5s wasn't much different than her 4 was or my 5 was. Apple is over rated. They charge a premium for less than stellar performance. Imo.

An Android in my hand had me going back to an iPhone after 1.5 years. The whole experience was sub-optimal at best and junk at the worst.

Battery lasts about twice as long. It'll connect to our Jbl blue tooth speaker and her iphone wouldn't. We can get free music on the android and ringtones.
I phones camera isn't as good doesn't have tri band network .....it isn't as quick either must I go on?

Huh? I've had 0 problems connecting to Bluetooth devices with my iPhones.

You can get free music on the iPhone too. Load up any MP3 or MP4. Slacker, iTunes radio, Pandora, etc all exist for the iPhone.

iPhone's camera is excellent. Not the highest megapixels but my other hobby is photography. Megapixels are not the be-all and end-all of quality.

iPhone has all the bands just like Android. It's got 850/1900 and plenty of LTE bands. The only thing it doesn't have is WiMax but I don't think Sprint sells any phones with that any more.

The iPhone is quite the capable phone and benchmarks put the 5s on par with today's flagship Android units (as per Anandtech).

It's OK if you wanted something different but the iPhone does just as much as an Android minus the gimmicks like Swype, eye tracking and other junk.

I switched from verizon to metro pcs to save money. Metro pcs is somehow related to sprint.my coverage now is all but useless unless i turn on roaming which raises my bill so im not saving anything. My internet on my phone is now beyond slow too.get what you pay for!

Mind you when she bought the 5s she paid sales tax for the phone and we did the easy pay option.

Don't finance a phone!

It boggles my mind what people will pay for a freaking phone!
They're not worth hundreds of dollars. If you don't believe me, just wait and eventually they give that phone away - but instead you're stuck in the cycle of 'upgrading' to the new one and continuing payments. Like someone who leases a new car every 2-3 years.

We have been with sprint for a few yrs and staying with them made sense on cost. We can debate the iphone android thing all day....I prefer my note 3 over iphone in every way.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Don't finance a phone!

It blows my mind what people pay for phones. You can get a fully featured iPad for less than an iPhone.

You pay monthly for a phone and can upgrade every year.
The iphone is 30 a month where as the LG g2 was 20 a month. The s4 is 25 a month and my note 3 is 30 a month. The LG g2 had great specs and was cheaper so we went with it. In saying that the call quality was awful which is why we switched to Samsung. We have Samsung everything and are very pleased with them.
Iphone is very good in general but don't have alot of bang for your buck. For us. I had an iPhone 5 it did everything fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back